Replacement power cable for Lumin X1

Slightly off topic, but just wondering if anyone has upgraded the PSU on their Lumin S1, A1, or U1 to the X1 PSU?

The power supply was designed during the development as an upgrade for the existing S1 A1 U1 user. A number of users in this forum has done the upgrade.

The power supply was designed during the development as an upgrade for the existing S1 A1 U1 user. A number of users in this forum has done the upgrade.

I have been using the X1 PSU with the S1 for quite some time now. It definitely provides a sonic upgrade to the original S1 PSU. Prior to all of that I owned a T1. After about six months I purchased the top of the range Kenneth Lau PSU. This made a significant improvement over the PSU provided with the T1. When I upgraded to the S1, I found the S1 PSU to be 'hard' sounding compared to the Kenneth Lau PSU. However, after a few months of use I went back to the S1 PSU and let it burn in for about 100 hours. After that, it was clearly evident that the original S1 PSU was far superior to the K. Lau PSU.

A point of interest though was the fact that the power cable provided by Kenneth Lau was sonically superior to the S1 cable. Therefore I found the best combination to be S1 PSU with K. Lau power cable. When I came to a decision to sell my Kenneth Lau PSU, I contacted him first to ask if he would sell me a cable. He wanted £500 for this! The reason he stated was that the cable was very difficult to make. I therefore sold the Kenneth Lau PSU with the S1 cable!

As I know from experience that upgrading the power cable does make a difference, and I have no plans within the next couple of years to purchase the X1, I have now purchased a cable made by Steve that connects the X1 PSU to the S1. It arrived yesterday and is a very well constructed cable compared to a Kenneth Lau cable. It is in use as I write this, so I will compare it to the Lumin cable in a couple of weeks time.

wklie,
The threads are blocks.
But is it the correct connector?

EIAJ Circular 10 Pin Male Connector

ozzy

I have emailed Ghents Audio who sells a huge variety of DC cable, to see if they would be able to supply for my U1, however, Ghents haven’t replied so far.
I have purchased from Ghents and their DC cables are a great value and high quality.
Anyway, I still looking, because I really believe replacing the stock DC cable with something better can bring about improvements, as the Ghents have done for me.

I have emailed Ghents Audio who sells a huge variety of DC cable, to see if they would be able to supply for my U1, however, Ghents haven’t replied so far.
I have purchased from Ghents and their DC cables are a great value and high quality.
Anyway, I still looking, because I really believe replacing the stock DC cable with something better can bring about improvements, as the Ghents have done for me.

Terry, give Audiosensibility a call, Im using their DC cable and its a quality piece.

The Audio Sensibility cables are out of stock at the moment - according to their website the 10-pin connectors have been discontinued by the manufacturer.

The Audio Sensibility cables are out of stock at the moment - according to their website the 10-pin connectors have been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Well I just visited the website and you are absolutely right. However, my custom X1 cable was just built for me and Ill be picking it up this week. So I guess I just got lucky, whats more concerning is exactly what kind of connector redesign this will prompt by Lumin.

I agree, the Ghent cables are great, I use two of them for my streaming setup. They can really provide an upgrade over the stock DC cables.

Just because the guy at Ghent hasn't replied yet, I wouldn't give up just yet, just keeping pinging him for a few days, I'm confident he'll get back to you. I know he's still running his business because Alex Crespi at UpTone told me just yesterday he is using Ghent Audio as his OEM supplier for a DC cable that UpTone is now selling.

In fact, come to think of it, just order the cable direct from UpTone, it's a Ghent DC cable made to Alex' specifications. From what Alex told me about it yesterday, it sounds like a really excellent cable. He had his engineer, John Swenson (who designed the EtherREGEN) also provide input on his specs for a quality DC cable.

Link here: SAPPHIRE Silver-Plated Star-Quad DC Cable – UpTone Audio

Job done. What's not to like? ;)

AudioSensibility appears to be showing available again for their power cable from power supply to X1.

It appears AS only has a few connectors though, so could be out of stock quite soon again.

Back