MBL 101e MK2

Nice.

The MBL speakers (more so then their electronics) are really popular in Asia.

What do you think of the MBL 101e's? What changes were made for the MK2?

The Fremer review in Stereophile outlines the changes and a whole lot more. I’ve listened to these speakers at Axpona the last two years and their sound quality and soundstaging are truly world class.

Ken [...]

Many thanks for sharing the link Ken.

I’ve been an MBL fan for many years and the larger model MBL’s (X-Treme) are still on my ‘bucket list’.

Like you, I’ve found the speakers sound staging and spatial abilities to be world class. Give them space and the 3D reproduction is just stunning.

Ralph

Borrowed another pair. Belt and suspenders!

2356d177e507c4bf280822e0a4e1a841.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you need 4-channels of amplification to drive the speakers?

So you need 4-channels of amplification to drive the speakers?

Nope, not at all. You DO need two sets of speaker cables and amps with at least two sets of terminals. You could use a very long jumper as well, in a pinch.

But the 101e mk2’s allow you to use four monos (or two stereo) amps. Then, two amps are driving and controlling the bass, and two amps are driving the 100hz up Omni drivers. Also, you COULD use DSP on the bass in a very problematic room since the bass amps are separate from the rest of the speaker. OR, you could integrate more easily with JL Audio subs for example and the crossover network. Gives you options for sure.

I will do some testing this week.

These were the last pair of speakers that really made me jaw dropping, at a show a few months ago.
They are outstanding, even though I left the hotel with the feeling that the MBL amps that were driving them didn't make them justice.
But the ease, transparency and naturalness this speakers can make are just wonderful.

Mike,
For each speaker, are you using a “Y” cable to split the signal from the single cable coming from the preamp to the two amps? Or are you using some kind of external crossover?

Mike,
For each speaker, are you using a “Y” cable to split the signal from the single cable coming from the preamp to the two amps? Or are you using some kind of external crossover?

Two sets of identical speaker cables.

Thank you Mike. What I meant to ask was about the interconnect from the preamp to the amp. Are you using a Y interconnect cable to split the signal and connect to the two mono amps?

Thank you Mike. What I meant to ask was about the interconnect from the preamp to the amp. Are you using a Y interconnect cable to split the signal and connect to the two mono amps?

I assume you’re asking about the four monos? I’m using and XLR connector between the amps. The MBL amps are designed to be daisy chained.

I assume you’re asking about the four monos? I’m using and XLR connector between the amps. The MBL amps are designed to be daisy chained.

Yes, that was my question. Thanks Mike!

Back