Intel NUC music server incoming

How is your Nucleus connected to Singxer SU-6? Via USB? Or do you use a separate end-point between the Singxer SU-6 and Nucleus?

If you are using an end-point connected via Ethernet (wired or optical), then it doesn't matter.

The normal way of upgrading the sound of Nucleus is

a better PSU for the Nucleus

or

an Ethernet connected end point.

If you have your Nucleus in another room (read: not next to your hifi) then the PSU on the Nucleus doesn't really matter. Only the end point and its PSU.

Thanks, Adam. Your info has been really helpful. Yes, the Akasa NUC is in another room that I call the "remote server room", and on another power circuit in the home than the gear in the main rack in the listening room. It's also powered with a Shunyata Venom V14 NR power cord that filters AC mains noise, and that Venom V14 NR is plugged into a Gemini power distributor, which also reduces AC mains noise further.

in the listening room, the "endpoint" is a Lumin P1, which has a fully dual-mono PSU with dual-mono Plitron transformers inside a fully-shielded "cage" inside the P1 main chassis, as shown. Connection to the P1 endpoint from the Akasa NUC is via LC/LC optical fiber from EtherREGEN in the remote server room.
Lumin-P1-internal.jpg

Audiophilic switch --> network cable --> Nuc (fanless nucleus clone) --> USB cable --> Singxer --> optical output --> DAC etcetera

Audiophilic switch --> network cable --> Nuc (fanless nucleus clone) --> USB cable --> Singxer --> optical output --> DAC etcetera

OK, that makes sense. Your Nucleus clone is connected via USB cable, which is why you can still hear the infulence of the case and PSU.

I was talking about a scenario where the Nucleus is connected to your end point via Ethernet (via a switch). In which case, in my experience, neither the case nor the Nucleus PSU makes an audible difference.

The exception beeing the Nucleus sitting next to your audio gear - then you can hear the difference the PSU makes, as quality linear PSU will contaminate your power less than SMPS does (when you put the Nucleus PSU and the rest of your system on the same power strip).

Almar, is the connection from the Singxer to the DAC via optical using a TOSLINK optical cable, or using SFPs and (something like) LC/LC optical fiber? Thank you.

OK, that makes sense. Your Nucleus clone is connected via USB cable, which is why you can still hear the infulence of the case and PSU.

I was talking about a scenario where the Nucleus is connected to your end point via Ethernet (via a switch). In which case, in my experience, neither the case nor the Nucleus PSU makes an audible difference.

The exception beeing the Nucleus sitting next to your audio gear - then you can hear the difference the PSU makes, as quality linear PSU will contaminate your power less than SMPS does (when you put the Nucleus PSU and the rest of your system on the same power strip).

this is my current setup. I had a server endpoint connection before and there is a sound quality difference between a plastic nuc and an aluminium nucleus.

Did you try AES or I2s from your Singxer to your DAC, and if so what didn't you like about it (since you ended up using an optical connection) and what optical cable are you using?
Thanks....

Did you try AES or I2s from your Singxer to your DAC, and if so what didn't you like about it (since you ended up using an optical connection) and what optical cable are you using?
Thanks....

Sorry, MrJazz, to whom was your question directed to: Alkyogre or...? 🤔

there is a sound quality difference between a plastic nuc and an aluminium nucleus.

In addition to the fanless factor, aluminium helps shielding. That is why our products use aluminium chassis (in addition to beauty, which is important). In our X1 we even have aluminium shield between the digital board and the analog board.

In addition to the fanless factor, aluminium helps shielding. That is why our products use aluminium chassis (in addition to beauty, which is important). In our X1 we even have aluminium shield between the digital board and the analog board.

I really love how thoroughly Lumin "thinks things through"...

Thanks....

No, I did not try it yet. Only tried the first optical cable I had, with the idea that light is not effected by electromagnetic radiation. Since I noticed it still passes 192 kHz / 24 bit that cable was fine for me.

This just in to power Alita, Battle Angel: an iFi DC Purifier2

Ifi-DC-Purifier.jpg

The DC Purifier2 is an audiophile-grade "DC noise filter" that reduces noise from 312X to 100,000X, according to iFi. It uses Active Noise-Cancelling tech based on the Thales Spectra military radar defence technology used in jet fighters.

Best thing is, it was only 129 bucks! 👍

So, I'm going to place one between the SMPS that powers Alita until I can identify a clean, quiet LPS to power Alita. And, I'm going to put one between the SMPS that powers my AT&T Pace Router because I know for a fact that puppy is really dirty. :P

More later, once I can do some A/B comparisons with it.

Just put it in between the SMPS and Alita.

iFi-DC-Purifier-Akasa.jpg

Okayyy...that was not subtle. Sounds notably better: noticeably quieter, more body to instruments and vocals, and "weight" to the presentation, and...it's actually louder than before I installed it. Bass has more power and definition, as well. And, it literally just came off the logistics truck. :P Likely it will continue to improve as it settles.

So, what I'm learning from this set of experiments is that the quality and design of the music server "computer", it's power supply, and the attendant digital and power cables AND reduction of ground-plane noise is really important for these music server-based systems. Mac Minis ain't gonna cut it anymore...

Next item up is to put one between the SMPS that powers my AT&T Pace Router, which I know for a fact is really dirty. As soon as the new power supply for that arrives, I'll install that, also, so stay tuned.

I have also something new on my nuc. Did some research on SSD's. I noticed that some brands of consumer SSD's break very fast, although they are 'tested" (read marketing) as great SSD, the reliability after a certain period seemed to be very poor. The best SSDs on the market are unpayable, they are most of time very small and used in medical healthcare devices.

I chose a Micron 7450 Max m2 400 GB. A payable enterprise SSD. I think that the quality is even better then the Samsung 980 Pro.

Next step is to install new software on it: this time no Roon Rock, but I go for the definite solution:
Audiolinux in combination with a Roon installation and HQPlayer embedded. The latter one can heat up the nuc when you convert PCM to DSD with the Nuc. For that reason I chose a better SSD and of course I use a heatsink.

To be continued.

I have also something new on my nuc. Did some research on SSD's. I noticed that some brands of consumer SSD's break very fast, although they are 'tested" (read marketing) as great SSD, the reliability after a certain period seemed to be very poor. The best SSDs on the market are unpayable, they are most of time very small and used in medical healthcare devices.

I chose a Micron 7450 Max m2 400 GB. A payable enterprise SSD. I think that the quality is even better then the Samsung 980 Pro.

Next step is to install new software on it: this time no Roon Rock, but I go for the definite solution:
Audiolinux in combination with a Roon installation and HQPlayer embedded. The latter one can heat up the nuc when you convert PCM to DSD with the Nuc. For that reason I chose a better SSD and of course I use a heatsink.

To be continued.

Very cool, Almar. Thanks for the information. Please keep us updated with your findings.

Cheers.

To be continued.

I was not aware of Audiolinux software. My i7 sonictransport crashed after a power outage a few years back. I sent it back to get the software reinstalled so the unit was back up and running. Worked fine for Roon/Tidal/Qobuz etc until another outage. I decide rather than just keep shipping it back to Connecticut from Washington state I had a very limited windows 10 installed on the internal drive. Been living with that for a while. Works well but the sound has a edge to it compared to my memory of the linux software performance.I'm going to get the Audiolinux software installed on a new internal drive and keep the windows drive available just incase. I have no linux experience so a guy is coming over to get the system up and running. I have looked through the Audiolinux website and I think I understand the process. But, I'm sure I would only screw it up. I wish there was a Youtube video on "how to install Audiolinux". But, I couldn't find anything. Hint hint...someone make a video!

Do not use 980 or 990 unless you have the knowledge and resources to upgrade its firmware.

Use only 970 for m.2 or 870 EVO for SATA.

I cannot suggest anything else for consumer-grade.

+1

It is not the firmware (you can update that using Samsung Magician software), it is the heat. The 980 and 990 run much hotter and are not really suitable for fanless case usage.

Back