Cord Cutting Options

Unlimited storage

Although not essential, you might want to get a Logitech remote control. Personally, I don’t care for the remote that comes with Apple TV nor the version that runs on iPad/iPhone.

Although not essential, you might want to get a Logitech remote control. Personally, I don’t care for the remote that comes with Apple TV nor the version that runs on iPad/iPhone.

I tried it today at the apple store and I concur! The only issue I guess is all the menu paths to go from NHL hockey game to a local channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried it today at the apple store and I concur! The only issue I guess is all the menu paths to go from NHL hockey game to a local channel.

Unless you find a NHL game on your local channel, just leave it on hockey!!

jUST CURIOUS, WHEN YOU SAY LOCAL CHANNELS, IS THAT JUST THE MAIN NETWORKS AFFILIATE OR DOES IT INCLUDE THE ADDITIONAL DIGITAL CHANNELS AS WELL? fOR EXAMPLE, HERE CHANNEL 4 IS OUR cbs STATION, HOWEVER, WITH AN ANTENNA CHANNEL 4 HAS ADDITIONAL STATIONS LIKE 4.1, 4.2 ETC. pbs IS LOADED.

Correct. YouTube TV has all my local channels except PBS.

We moved recently and dumped DTV for YoutubeTV. And I’m a sports guy, although don’t require Sunday ticket. I believe Sling or Fobu has that fyi.

I purchased a Apple TV a few weeks back and have been experimenting with cutting the cord, before actually cutting the cord.

Thanks to you guys, I had a good road map to follow.

I ran into some snags, but overcame the quickly. I started with wifi and it was just ok. So drop outs. I think switched to Ethernet and had some of the same issues until I realized I was using an old 10/100 switch. Throw that out and put in a Gigabit Ethernet switch and we are off the races.

So far, I’m really impressed. The picture quality is indeed better. I love the Apple TV remote and features. The voice search works and I love that feature.

I wish we could fast forward through on demand shows, but DVR’d shows you can. Just have to remember to create a list of shows.

By subscribing to YouTube TV, I get all the channels I normally watch and have access to those same channels on mobile devices.

So far, so good.

Mike, this is exciting! Do you have your Ethernet hard-wired to your router? I don’t have a router close to my TVs, so was wondering if WiFi would work well or at least sufficiently? Thanks.

Mike, this is exciting! Do you have your Ethernet hard-wired to your router? I don’t have a router close to my TVs, so was wondering if WiFi would work well or at least sufficiently? Thanks.

Depends on the wifi I guess. Try it. Apple TV was cheap ($130 on Black Friday).

I purchased a Apple TV a few weeks back and have been experimenting with cutting the cord, before actually cutting the cord.

Thanks to you guys, I had a good road map to follow.

I ran into some snags, but overcame the quickly. I started with wifi and it was just ok. So drop outs. I think switched to Ethernet and had some of the same issues until I realized I was using an old 10/100 switch. Throw that out and put in a Gigabit Ethernet switch and we are off the races.

So far, I’m really impressed. The picture quality is indeed better. I love the Apple TV remote and features. The voice search works and I love that feature.

I wish we could fast forward through on demand shows, but DVR’d shows you can. Just have to remember to create a list of shows.

By subscribing to YouTube TV, I get all the channels I normally watch and have access to those same channels on mobile devices.

So far, so good.

I was hoping to cut the cord, and literally just pulled 3 of them and replaced with the new XFinity boxes that contains the apps we use. As much as I hate cable and their prices, their new boxes are slick and I get to watch NFL.

Apple TV does benefit with Power and Ethernet cables, and you don’t need Uber expensive to see and hear a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The cable companies have it all figured out. They claim that you can do all kind of changes online. But when you go online and try to cut your services, then they tell you that can only do so by phone. Answering those calls are very well trained individuals whose job is to keep you hooked. The first thing they ask you is: Do you watch sports? If you say yes, that plays to their advantage. They already know what they can offer that other providers can't and they use that to keep you into their system. If you still insist on dropping services, then they will politely remind you that you have a XX months left on your contract and that you will incur termination fees. If that still does not bother you and you still want to keep internet, their price for internet service alone will be higher than what you can get from the same provider when opening a new account with no terms!

By the way, they know if you have been looking around for lower internet services. It is a well oiled-machine that the cable companies run.

I just went through that with my cable provider. I still decided to "cut the cord" for the TV and keep the internet connection.

I tried YouTube TV and liked it. The GUI is a big improvement over that of Verizon TV. The nice thing is that I can pause the YouTube TV subscription whenever I feel like. No commitments at all. If I add what I will pay for Internet and YouTube TV, I will be just about even to what I was paying before, but I am not tied up to any of those two services for any set term.

Fubo TV has out of market games, not sure what else it provides.

YouTube TV has all the local channels. I do miss having PBS. I love watching PBS news hour. I have the PBS app, but I can’t watch it live.

YouTube TV now carries PBS

I recently switched from cable to YouTube TV as well and have been very happy with the change. Lower cost, no commitment, reasonably high quality feed, nice interface...

YouTube TV now carries PBS

i Just noticed this as well when I turned on YouTube TV today.....

Now that I have PBS Newshour back I'm thrilled. Very happy with my decision.

I bought a Netgear gaming WiFi router to keep up with the additional internet traffic in the house, and it's worked perfectly.

Well, thanks to you guys, my experiment is complete. We have Apple TV 4K’s on every TV now. We cut the cable and our bill WOULD have gone down from $189/month to $69/month. Instead, I switched us from 75mbps/up/down to 1gbps up/down and the bill went to $125/month.

I then set up a new mesh network in the house with Eero (which is quite fast wireless).

Very happy with the decision. Thanks guys!

Well, thanks to you guys, my experiment is complete. We have Apple TV 4K’s on every TV now. We cut the cable and our bill WOULD have gone down from $189/month to $69/month. Instead, I switched us from 75mbps/up/down to 1gbps up/down and the bill went to $125/month.

I then set up a new mesh network in the house with Eero (which is quite fast wireless).

Very happy with the decision. Thanks guys!

Mike ??, are you getting live local channels ?, when I checked on this with Apple TV, in my location I have to pay to add "Spectrum" ( my cable provider) to get local channels or add something like Hulu Live at $50 a month) . Am I missing something . Thanks

Mike ??, are you getting live local channels ?, when I checked on this with Apple TV, in my location I have to pay to add "Spectrum" ( my cable provider) to get local channels or add something like Hulu Live at $50 a month) . Am I missing something . Thanks

Yes, you subscribe to YouTube TV and get all your local channels and more. Check YouTube TV for your area. Note, youtube tv includes an unlimited DVR. Love the voice dictation, example “Seinfeld” and poof up they come.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Back