Why no turntable?

It might be worth pointing out that many of the purported sonic benefits of LP's and tape won't be appreciated by someone wearing digital hearing aids?

In your case it would be a very simple decision for me: if you don’t enjoy it, don’t do it. Sell your analogue gear and focus on what you like. You do have some nice gear, and will get some change for it.

As this hobby is purely a free choice-based money pit, I would not do anything I don’t thoroughly enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No I love my analogue system. It's too late now. But say if I lost it all in a fire I would not start again. I would keep it digital.

In your case it would be a very simple decision for me: if you don’t enjoy it, don’t do it. Sell your analogue gear and focus on what you like. You do have some nice gear, and will get some change for it.

As this hobby is purely a free choice-based money pit, I would not do anything I don’t thoroughly enjoy.

agreed ..........

unpopular opinion, but I feel digital is much better at the lower levels. .......
I agree with you and have been saying the same thing for 10-20-30 years already?

Good thing now is childhood memories of misaligned cartridges and dirty not cared for records are faded, and or people are too young to have such memories and therefore biases.

So I decided to up my game a bit on the turntable. I ordered a Rega RP8. Ratings seem to be excellent and it looks like a very nice table but I caught a real nice close out deal. Music Direct is closing the remaining units for $1000 off! I know the new model, the Planner 8 is out and the Planner 10 had a real nice review the latest Stereophile, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I have upgraded my cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Black so I think this should give me a good solid analog setup for the foreseeable future!

I was going to wait for a bit but I realize that this deal was about done. No one else seems to have any left and speaking with a rep at Music Direct about two weeks ago he told me they were down to about 35 of the original 300 they got just before Christmas (if I am recalling correctly), so I figured it was now or never on this deal.

The table will arrive before the new pre-amp :(.... waiting for that to be shipped from Poland. No idea how long that will take, but he did say it should be shipped this week.

So I decided to up my game a bit on the turntable. I ordered a Rega RP8. Ratings seem to be excellent and it looks like a very nice table but I caught a real nice close out deal. Music Direct is closing the remaining units for $1000 off! I know the new model, the Planner 8 is out and the Planner 10 had a real nice review the latest Stereophile, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I have upgraded my cartridge to a Ortofon 2M Black so I think this should give me a good solid analog setup for the foreseeable future!

I was going to wait for a bit but I realize that this deal was about done. No one else seems to have any left and speaking with a rep at Music Direct about two weeks ago he told me they were down to about 35 of the original 300 they got just before Christmas (if I am recalling correctly), so I figured it was now or never on this deal.

The table will arrive before the new pre-amp :(.... waiting for that to be shipped from Poland. No idea how long that will take, but he did say it should be shipped this week.

Well that didn’t take long, and I still stand by our little friend, the U-Turn.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Seeing more and more nice tables here, exciting!

The Ortofon 2M Black actually works very well with the stunning little U-Turn. I am sticking with it moving forward. If anyone wants to dip their toes in vinyl to see if it is for them I will be offering this amazing U-Turn Orbit Special, almost new, soon!

I have a couple extra belts; it will be including U-Turn's decent little phono stage built in (which can be turned off to use external phono stage) but I am not including a cartridge. The table works beautifully with Ortofon 2M series (any of the four, I have used all of them).

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Here are a few. Included is Erik, the US importer putting the table together. Glad he was there. Good reason to purchase new.

Attachments

• DSC00634.JPG
    DSC00634.JPG
    12.8 MB · Views: 91
  • DSC00641.JPG
    DSC00641.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC00639.JPG
    DSC00639.JPG
    11.5 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC00644.JPG
    DSC00644.JPG
    9.9 MB · Views: 84
  • DSC00649.JPG
    DSC00649.JPG
    9.9 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC00646.JPG
    DSC00646.JPG
    10.3 MB · Views: 84
  • DSC00651.JPG
    DSC00651.JPG
    10.4 MB · Views: 87
If you look up Hot Rodded Rega RP6, you will find my Audionirvana thread on what I did with that table. The STST instal was interesting for Erik and I. No other change outside the table. Same arm, cable, cartridge, pre. Everything. As soon as the diamond hit the vinyl it was wow. Very noticeable improvement. Way more clear, articulate, clean. Very linear with great speed control. I was shocked just the table could do so much.

Randy, when you get the nerve, pull the motor off your RP8 and double side tape it to a heavy chunk of steel sitting on your stand. It will shock you the calm and quiet that comes over the table without that little motor polluting the plinth with its vibrations. Easily one of the best Rega mods out there.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Here are a few. Included is Erik, the US importer putting the table together. Glad he was there. Good reason to purchase new.

Beautiful deck, love the wood veneer.

Randy, when you get the nerve, pull the motor off your RP8 and double side tape it to a heavy chunk of steel sitting on your stand. It will shock you the calm and quiet that comes over the table without that little motor polluting the plinth with its vibrations. Easily one of the best Rega mods out there.

Maybe sometime down the road. :) right now I am waiting for things to arrive to actually be able to listen to vinyl. Can play digital for now at least!

My Denon in a Midas headshell and sapphire cantilever with line contact diamond is fd up. The azimuth is so far off I can't set it up. It bottoms out the pivot on rhe arm. A new table with real resolution allows you to hear whats going on.
I ordered a Hana ML yesterday. I will also try one of Solypsa Sensitive Sound. I think there is a lot more out there beyond my existing cart.

The Rega is slated to arrive on Monday and I just received notice (tracking info) that the Hattor pre-amplifier has been shipped from Poland. So hopefully my system will be back in shape soon and I will be able to see how much of an improvement the new vinyl setup is. So my digital and analog setups are going to be on about the same level.

Long late on this thread but here are my thoughts which some have stated above, I think: We are in the golden age of digital audio, especially the last ~10 years. Engineers and audiophiles have figured out that jitter and power supply quality are paramount for high quality and accurate analog output from DACs. On the other hand vinyl has had the benefit of time to improve over about a century. Even so, IME and in general <=$20K digital yields better sound, above $20K vinyl starts pulling ahead. Why? Primarily because vinyl requires more components (turntable, cartridge, phono preamp, isolation stand and / or feet versus digital with a DAC and a computer). As you climb the $ ladder the available funds offset and allow more performance from analog and digital starts to flatten out - for now. Then of course, there's the convenience of digital media. I grew up with records and some years back bought a CA TT, CA cart, phono preamp, isolation rack, etc. At first it was nostalgic - take the record out, look at it, put it on the platter, set the right speed, clean it, move the arm, drop it down and finally - sound. After a few weeks I realized why I liked it when I was young - it's all we had, there was no instant access to music on tap, other than the radio. It was and is for me a PITA. Sit me down with a computer and thousands of songs with a good drink and that's the way. And with the quality of streaming and availability of millions of songs for a fraction of the cost of half mastered LPs, Calgone take me away! Getting back to serious - For me, for analog to be worth it, it would be cost prohibitive, and I don't care about the good old days, I care about enjoying my limited time to relax and listen to excellent quality music. If I had unlimited funds and ~$30K+ for analog along with its excellent sound capabilities at that price point, maybe. As for now, pass me the tablet, pour me a scotch and watch me sit back and not get up and down and up and down every 15 minutes... Happy listening!

Long late on this thread but here are my thoughts which some have stated above, I think: We are in the golden age of digital audio, especially the last ~10 years. Engineers and audiophiles have figured out that jitter and power supply quality are paramount for high quality and accurate analog output from DACs. On the other hand vinyl has had the benefit of time to improve over about a century. Even so, IME and in general <=$20K digital yields better sound, above $20K vinyl starts pulling ahead. Why? Primarily because vinyl requires more components (turntable, cartridge, phono preamp, isolation stand and / or feet versus digital with a DAC and a computer). As you climb the $ ladder the available funds offset and allow more performance from analog and digital starts to flatten out - for now. Then of course, there's the convenience of digital media. I grew up with records and some years back bought a CA TT, CA cart, phono preamp, isolation rack, etc. At first it was nostalgic - take the record out, look at it, put it on the platter, set the right speed, clean it, move the arm, drop it down and finally - sound. After a few weeks I realized why I liked it when I was young - it's all we had, there was no instant access to music on tap, other than the radio. It was and is for me a PITA. Sit me down with a computer and thousands of songs with a good drink and that's the way. And with the quality of streaming and availability of millions of songs for a fraction of the cost of half mastered LPs, Calgone take me away! Getting back to serious - For me, for analog to be worth it, it would be cost prohibitive, and I don't care about the good old days, I care about enjoying my limited time to relax and listen to excellent quality music. If I had unlimited funds and ~$30K+ for analog along with its excellent sound capabilities at that price point, maybe. As for now, pass me the tablet, pour me a scotch and watch me sit back and not get up and down and up and down every 15 minutes... Happy listening!

There’s merit in what you say, I get it.

Digital can, and I say “can” be good, heck great, but it takes a series of steps to really make it shine, many highlighted in your statement.

Guys I know either think these steps are gimmicky or ignore it in whole or part, leaving SQ locked in a box and the sad part it does not take a lot of cash to do.

Conversely analog not done right against a more advanced digital system will highlight the weakness of the analog setup, and believe it starts with the cartridge, arm then table.

Despite all that the most important aspect is the source, and the median which it’s recorded and engineered.

Lots of variables in all this to arrive at a great sound but the constants of speaker, room, power are the foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back