Who still makes SACD players?

Although these are not made anymore, they are still around in copious quantities. I have a Sony Playstation 3 that I bought from a friend who had installed the proper software to rip my SACDs into .iso files. I then convert them to .dsf files in stereo and when available mch files to playback through my stereo and mch DACs. I bought an Oppo 105 shortly after Oppo announced it was closing down its production, mostly so I could continue to rip SACDs if and when the PS3 failed. It can play SACDs, but I don't use it for that purpose.

Larry

What is SACD and DMP? So many acronyms and other things to learn when you haven't been into high end audio for 40 years. Trying to get up to speed with all the recent technology but it is indeed a challenge.

And.....are CD players made within the last 10 years of good sonic quality? I have 2 Yamaha CD players (one for each HT system, upstairs and downstairs) that are about 10 years old but have had very little use. Are these adequate for an audiophile system? About 99% of my CDs have been ripped to iTunes (WAV files) and an external HD. My main source will be streaming so I wasn't planning on adding an expensive CD player to my new system. Should I?

If your new integrated amp has a DAC for your streaming, you can use the digital out of the Yamaha into the same DAC to play CD's.

SACD = Super Audio CD. The discs need the SACD player to play them but the player was backward compatible with regular CD. I can't remember the technical specs, SACD was a higher resolution over a typical CD.

What is SACD and DMP? So many acronyms and other things to learn when you haven't been into high end audio for 40 years. Trying to get up to speed with all the recent technology but it is indeed a challenge.

And.....are CD players made within the last 10 years of good sonic quality? I have 2 Yamaha CD players (one for each HT system, upstairs and downstairs) that are about 10 years old but have had very little use. Are these adequate for an audiophile system? About 99% of my CDs have been ripped to iTunes (WAV files) and an external HD. My main source will be streaming so I wasn't planning on adding an expensive CD player to my new system. Should I?

PS Audio have just announced they are on the verge of closing a deal with a major SACD optical drive manufacturer for their next edition SACD transport.

I can’t see the point of making SACD players anymore. Folks are moving to streaming and one can rip SACDs or get DSD downloads online. Also folks who have a SACD collection already have players. The only SACD players worth owning are those few that let you rip SACDs.

I can’t see the point of making SACD players anymore. Folks are moving to streaming and one can rip SACDs or get DSD downloads online. Also folks who have an SACD collection already have players. The only SACD players worth owning are those few that let you rip SACDs.

I haven’t seen one like this. Can you point me to an example?

As for CD/SACD players, there are many folks who don’t want to bother with the whole streaming thing. I have a customer with 15,000+ CD’s/SACD’s and he would never do streaming. He first doesn’t think it sounds as good (he’s right) and he likes the physical media and the stuff he listens to is mostly not on Tidal or Qobuz.

I haven’t seen one like this. Can you point me to an example?

As for CD/SACD players, there are many folks who don’t want to bother with the whole streaming thing. I have a customer with 15,000+ CD’s/SACD’s and he would never do streaming. He first doesn’t think it sounds as good (he’s right) and he likes the physical media and the stuff he listens to is mostly not on Tidal or Qobuz.

I have about 12,000 CDs & around 200 SACDs. I ripped all of them to FLAC & DSF. Can't remember the last time I've played a physical disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main issue with SACD player is that the DAC has to be part of the player due to Sony licensing issues which means you are married to the in-built DAC. PS audio did something especial with their DMP transport which would transmit DSD signal encrypted over I2S (therefore abiding Sony's licensing crap) but that also means you can only play using with their DS DAC.

A good DSD streamer can give you the freedom to change the DAC at will but a good SACD player can provide simplicity of operation.

A few companies have done similar things... McIntosh, Esoteric, etc.

To me the best and easiest solution is to rip my SACDs and play them from my music server. This allows the files to be played using T+A's amazing DSD 1-bit processor instead of Oppo's ESS 9018. Also, and definitely as important the files can then be up-sampled by HQPlayer. In my experience files originally in DSD up-samples are superior to PCM files up-sampled!

Back