The speaker fairy showed up today - JBL 4367 !!!

My only reason for scaling back on tubes is because my system is playing 10-15 hours a day .

If you could get the sound you desire from a cool running, efficient and reliable small form factor system, then I can't see any drawbacks.

Joe

If I was looking for a tube preamp right now this one really has my interested. Only uses two 12AU7 tubes accessible from the top and really good NOS 12AU7's are readily available for more than reasonable prices. So little heat to worry about. Direct from manufacturer with full 30 day refund policy. Made in Delaware.

http://backertlabs.com/press-release/

Thank you Jack. I've been looking at Backert Labs for a while. I honestly have to say that a absolutely love my KX-5/20 Ayre (and I love my McIntosh C52 as well) and they mate perfectly well with every amp that I've tried so far.

Joe

If I was looking for a tube preamp right now this one really has my interested. Only uses two 12AU7 tubes accessible from the top and really good NOS 12AU7's are readily available for more than reasonable prices. So little heat to worry about. Direct from manufacturer with full 30 day refund policy. Made in Delaware.

http://backertlabs.com/press-release/

I have a Ref 6 but I don't feel the same about it as everyone else..

Hmmm... don't see the Ref 6 in your sig :)... tells me your are thinking of sending it to California :D...

Thank you Jack. I've been looking at Backert Labs for a while. I honestly have to say that a absolutely love my KX-5/20 Ayre (and I love my McIntosh C52 as well) and they mate perfectly well with every amp that I've tried so far.

Honestly I love the Wyred pre-amplifier... Hybrid passive/active and a volume control system that compares with most everything out there! Read a review where they put it up against a $12k pre-amplifier and said they would probably pick the STP-SE....

6Moons basically said it had the sound of Tubes without the noise :).... (at a fraction of the price)

Joe

I know you really like the Mac and the Ayre, but just thought if you wanted to look at a tube pre that you could run for hours with small signal tubes that are still available it might be worth a look. Plus since they are only 100 miles from and with the full refund policy could be worth a listen. Not supposed to be much of a difference between the Rhumba and its over twice as expensive "big brother." Terry said in his review that they could also adjust the gain to what you prefer. from their standard offering.

I am still thinking it over. I don't want to just get one from them without any intention of buying. I don't feel comfortable doing that. If I get closer to a decision, I will absolutely check them out. I know they modded and fixed CJ gear back in the day and suspect that their design is probably amazing.

Joe

I know you really like the Mac and the Ayre, but just thought if you wanted to look at a tube pre that you could run for hours with small signal tubes that are still available it might be worth a look. Plus since they are only 100 miles from and with the full refund policy could be worth a listen. Not supposed to be much of a difference between the Rhumba and its over twice as expensive "big brother." Terry said in his review that they could also adjust the gain to what you prefer. from their standard offering.

These JBL 4367's are simply outstanding.

Smooth and sweet, easy all day listening great. Powerful bass, pinpoint imaging as if the band is right there in my room with very little room interaction, it seems. They have a WIDE sound stage and the speakers totally disappear. I absolutely love them, as much as my Strads :blush:

Joe

That description pretty is much what I am hearing out of the Spatials too. No listener fatigue at all with a room filling sound.

Man, a rough crowd.

I haven't compared my Nord class D's against the multi-mega-thousand dollar class A or AB offerings, but I don't think I'll need to. These examples of class D are pretty nice, but then again I went into this with an open mind.

Boy is it ever Mike :D

Hey, I love the Nords with the Sparkos op amps. They aren't going anywhere. I do plan on adding the 994 op amps with the new boards.

Tubes are my first love, but different amps react differently to each speaker. I think I like the Nords better on the Strads, they need the power. The JBL's do fine with less.

Man, a rough crowd.

I haven't compared my Nord class D's against the multi-mega-thousand dollar class A or AB offerings, but I don't think I'll need to. These examples of class D are pretty nice, but then again I went into this with an open mind.

Ouch

Hope you enjoying the newest fast food over home made [emoji13]

No I enjoy my steaks seared to perfection on my SOTA modern TEC infrared grill.

attachment.php

And when I want that smoky slow roasted taste, I use my SOTA modern pellet BBQ :)

attachment.php

Can't beat that modern technology :)

Attachments

• Infrared steaks.jpg
    Infrared steaks.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Slow roasted prime rib.jpg
    Slow roasted prime rib.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 124
No I enjoy my steaks seared to perfection on my SOTA modern TEC infrared grill.

And when I want that smoky slow roasted taste, I use my SOTA modern pellet BBQ :)

Can't beat that modern technology :)

Great ! I'm so glad to hear that you having real food. [emoji1303]

Back