Tannoy and Shindo - A Match Made In Heaven?

Welcome Art. Congrats on the Westies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike, Westies are great so far. Paul was a pretty big influencer as I dove in without audition. Really happy I made that move.

You're very lucky Art. They are truly world class.

attachment.php
I'll get better pics at some point but here's a quick one from my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 162
Very nice, PP use of 300B gives you some power with all the good things the 300B brings. Built really well. I'm putting some Melody 845 Monos in tomorrow.

I found my Westies fully broken in about 400 to 500 hours.

Looking forward to hear your impression on different gears. Art.

Very nice, PP use of 300B gives you some power with all the good things the 300B brings. Built really well. I'm putting some Melody 845 Monos in tomorrow.

Beautiful room and setup. I bet the Melody will be amazing.

So Mike (and others), what would you say it is that the Westminsters do better than the Strads? How much would you say it is about having fewer drives.

Goosebumps really are a good measure.

Thanks guys, didn't mean to derail the thread. The floating wall is actually an acoustic membrane that does absorption and diffusion due to build and materials of its different sections. The shelves/openings are strictly aesthetic though.

So Mike (and others), what would you say it is that the Westminsters do better than the Strads? How much would you say it is about having fewer drives.

Goosebumps really are a good measure.

We cannot separate the Shindo gear out of the equation. With other amps (or a mismatch between the Shindo preamp and all the other amps we tried), the Westies were not reaching their full potential.

So when everything is together, they scale bigger. The soundstage is so precise that I can almost count where the third violinist is sitting. They are pitch perfect. And most importantly, they take all the things I love about the Strads including the cabinet that it tuned perfectly to sing along with the music in a perfect manner allowing you to feel the music in your whole body to next level. They are a big speaker that plays big, with such soul and such precision.

And no, I'm not selling my Strads and getting Westies. I don't have the room. I also don't have the room for D5's, MBL 101Xtremes and lots of other speakers I love. Plus, the Strads get me 95% of the way there and work perfectly in my room.

Welcome Art ! Beautiful system !!!!
Thanks Mark, where are you in North Texas? I'm in North Fort Worth. Mike, which brands of non-Shindo amps did you find mated best with Shindo preamps and which did not? Was there a specific set of specs that mated better with Shindo pre's?

Thanks Mark, where are you in North Texas? I'm in North Fort Worth. Mike, which brands of non-Shindo amps did you find mated best with Shindo preamps and which did not? Was there a specific set of specs that mated better with Shindo pre's?

I'm in Keller.

To me, the only "problem" with the Westminsters is their size / shape. These are speakers for Lords who live in castles !

The only room where they could go in my house is in the main system but they will look huge there. Anyway they will never make their way in the french stairs to the second floor of the house.
So I will never listen to them !
I prefer not knowing what I'm loosing ! :D

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Back