T+A SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV arrive

I was cleaning for the holidays and out went piles of magazines. Included was my latest TAS so I dont get to read the article.

Congrats though Randy. Its nice to have a product you really like, with validation the performance is what you hear. I wish I bought the used amp 8 i found for $1,200 a while back. I want to try some SS at one point.

Yea, that would have been an amazing deal. I have never seen one below about $2200. It deserves way more than that. I think normal price is $3200-$3500. Mike will have to confirm that.

If I were ever to put mine up for sale I would need to get about $2000. That would be low, only because of brand recognition in the US. I also think this may be changing. There have been a plethora of outstanding reviews lately on T+A products!

I really like my T+A DAC. These pieces are amazing but I would have a very hard time justifying it even if I could afford the $60k price tag. I would think the SD 3100HV would be worthy of consideration for someone looking for just a DAC and not needing the built in Pre-amp functions or an over the top spinner.

I know it is better, but I do not think the rest of my gear is good enough to appreciate how spectacular this is. However my T+A DAC is definitely a keeper!

T+A must feel that the products can compete with the likes of MSB and others in that category, and price accordingly. If money doesnt matter then thats fine, for the rest of us the smart choice is to go for the MP 3100 HV for example, a super SACD player with DAC @ 1/3 of the price.

T+A must feel that the products can compete with the likes of MSB and others in that category, and price accordingly. If money doesnt matter then thats fine, for the rest of us the smart choice is to go for the MP 3100 HV for example, a super SACD player with DAC @ 1/3 of the price.

Agreed, but still really expensive. Since I play all of my SACDs from my server I don't need that elaborate SACD spinner. The DAC 8 DSD is a great DAC for us people on a more moderate budget :).

Please keep in mind, price is not really an indicator for SQ. Manufacturers are free to price their products as they see fit, independent of what the products actually are capable of.

In the Stereophile review the DAC 8 DSD was compared to similarly or little lower priced DACs, like the Ayre Codex, which seems fair.

But my question would be, that if the DAC 8 DSD uses a similar DAC circuitry than previous generation HV components, what have users then been paying 4-5 times the money for in the MP 3000 HV or PDP 3000 HV. The heavy casework, the power management, the disc spinner? Those are things that affect the sound significantly, but 4-5 times the money is a tall order IMHO.

The newer HV series now use DAC chips with higher specs, but also the price has skyrocketed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please keep in mind, price is not really an indicator for SQ. Manufacturers are free to price their products as they see fit, independent of what the products actually are capable of.

In the Stereophile review the DAC 8 DSD was compared to similarly or little lower priced DACs, like the Ayre Codex, which seems fair.

But my question would be, that if the DAC 8 DSD uses a similar DAC circuitry than previous generation HV components, what have users then been paying 4-5 times the money for in the MP 3000 HV or PDP 3000 HV. The heavy casework, the power management, the disc spinner? Those are things that affect the sound significantly, but 4-5 times the money is a tall order IMHO.

The newer HV series now use DAC chips with higher specs, but also the price has skyrocketed.

All very true, of course. However a couple things to keep in mind. The reviewer in Stereophile did not even attempt to evaluate the DAC 8 DSD in its fullest capability (i.e.DSD) because he could not. He mentioned this in the review actually. He stills gives it an A+ rating.

One of the huge differences is that T+A developed their own DSD 1-bit converters and therefore makes it easier to bring this tech down to their more affordable models (in my view and by what they claim). Also, reading TAS's review he puts their new DAC right up there with the best of the best... and reading between the lines I would state that he believes it may very well be the best digital setup in the world.

All very true, of course. However a couple things to keep in mind. The reviewer in Stereophile did not even attempt to evaluate the DAC 8 DSD in its fullest capability (i.e.DSD) because he could not. He mentioned this in the review actually. He stills gives it an A+ rating.

One of the huge differences is that T+A developed their own DSD 1-bit converters and therefore makes it easier to bring this tech down to their more affordable models (in my view and by what they claim). Also, reading TAS's review he puts their new DAC right up there with the best of the best... and reading between the lines I would state that he believes it may very well be the best digital setup in the world.

Come on Randy, it’s a 3K DAC.

Its a $4500 DAC, but what does that have to do with anything. Its a good machine, in my view better than anything in that range. The TAS review, what was being referenced above, is a much more expensive piece. The two machines that the review was about are $60k. I did not imply that my DAC was on that level. If that is what it seemed I assure you it is not :)...

quiet a steep price difference europe vs us
if you beg a little you get the sd3100 (without pre) for 20k chf in switzerland, brinkmann nyquist2 for about 12k chf.
still enough, dont get me wrong.

i did read in another review the 3100hv is not really complete in the bass. not much impact was mentioned

Its a $4500 DAC, but what does that have to do with anything. Its a good machine, in my view better than anything in that range. The TAS review, what was being referenced above, is a much more expensive piece. The two machines that the review was about are $60k. I did not imply that my DAC was on that level. If that is what it seemed I assure you it is not :)...

It looked indeed, as if you were talking about the DAC 8 DSD. It is very good, but I presume there is still room towards the top.

US vs EU is indeed different, here it is 3 KEUR.

Of course there is a lot of room to improve :). I love my DAC but it is no where near the best of the best. In my view it is what I consider the best in its range.

I am sorry if I was confusing, here is what I meant by what I wrote;

Stereophile: DAC 8 DSD ($4500)
"The reviewer in Stereophile did not even attempt to evaluate the DAC 8 DSD in its fullest capability (i.e.DSD) because he could not. He mentioned this in the review actually. He stills gives it an A+ rating."

The Absolute Sound: SDV 3100HV + PDT 3100HV ($60,000)
"
reading TAS's review he puts their new DAC right up there with the best of the best... and reading between the lines I would state that he believes it may very well be the best digital setup in the world."

randy, wish you a great 3100er dac for 2020!!:)

Hehe, thank you... I would very surprised if that was in the cards though. There are several other items (speakers) that would need updating long before getting a DAC of that caliber :)

at a usd 30.5k msrp price difference, it would certainly be an interesting A/B test to hear the dac8 dsd side-by-side with the dv 3100hv in the same system.

my expectations of the SQ difference would be quite high !!

at a usd 30.5k msrp price difference, it would certainly be an interesting A/B test to hear the dac8 dsd side-by-side with the dv 3100hv in the same system.

my expectations of the SQ difference would be quite high !!

It’s certainly on another level. I’ve had both. But the DAC8 DSD when all material is sent to it as DSD512 is really freaking good. Just bring a bad ass computer for that function!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s certainly on another level. I’ve had both. But the DAC8 DSD when all material is sent to it as DSD512 is really freaking good. Just bring a bad ass computer for that function!

With HQPlayer I play everything from my server at DSD512/48; which is 24.6Mhz. Yes, it does like some computing power :D.

Hello u-sound, I own a MP3100hv. I don't find the item lacking in bass. For that matter, I've read other reviews that said quite the opposite. I'd like to read that review. Would you kindly tell me the publication, and I'll try to find it? I'm not "brandwashed" ( my new term for people who will buy anything from a specific brand)I'd like to see the the other components in the test and any other gear they used for any comparison. Thank you!!!

hi penthouse
well, it wasnt theyr press release:)
it would be a bit too much for me right now to search it. i know i should.
it wasnt really described as a lack of bass, that was my very own translation.
maybe overall it shines more microdynamicly than macrowise

Understood. Thank you. The reason I asked is because when I first got the pair, I was a tad underwhelmed. I read every review I could find and don't remember that comment. Actually, quite the contrary. After a longer than normal break-in period, I'm thrilled!!!

Back