Sophia Electric Coke-Bottle KT88s and others

Dizzie

Any experience with the Coke-bottle KT88-ST (long life version)?

I am intrigued and attracted by their shape and color. Turned off by the price, different grades, and short warranties for supposedly "long life version". Warranties are 30-days to one year depending on the grade and cost.

Sophia Electric Coke-bottle KT88-ST Tubes (long life version)

I do not currently need tubes. These tube have always interested me and I am bored. Hence the post. But I would appreciate opinions on other KT88s. Some day I will need replacements.

I have not tried Sophia.
JJ are solid KT88. They are dead quiet in my system. They are good but not great. Seem to lack some sort of life.
I have Shuguang Hidden Treasure 50th anniversary in now. A better tube for a sense of life. Good extension and bass. It is a little noisier. The JJ is dead quiet. The Shuguang lets hum into the speaker. I had to spend a lot of time getting the right driver to the right power tube and the pair matched for the amp. Even with a little hum, I am happier with the Shuguang.

I would try a Psvane ACME as a next tube. That wont happen for a while as what I have is very good and should last a good 3000 to 5000 hours. Psvane ACME can be bough on Amazon. Not sure how sorted they are through Amazon. I don't know if any other suppliers treat tubes like Upscale Audio and really match them. Or do they just take the lot from the factory and sell them as is.

I have some and like them. I'm currently using different tubes in my Leben Cs600X, but used the SE KT88 for over 18 months. Just fancied a change for change sake. They are great tubes
Jeff Day has written quite a bit about these and other tubes in the Leben on Positive Feedback

Back