Sony 65" OLED

I might be buying the Sony 65" OLED, or the 55". The 65" will be a tight fit, but go big or go home. Since I bought another Oppo 203 last weekend, I need a TV for it. :)

Honestly, after a few T.V's I realize after tuning in your T'V following a professional website and their calibrated profiles all these T'V's look exactly the same. Not bright, a little dark and same colors. Every one of my t/v ended up looking exactly the same after calibration.

Received my A8F. Spectacular. Worth the extra $$$.

Jim.......Congratulations on your new Sony series A8F television. In my opinion, that is the OLED to own. Happy viewing.

sony_65af8_9.jpg

While googling the 2018 Sony OLED I found a site that said the A8F is the same as the A1F. Just the stand had been changed, and the electronics and screen were the same in both models. It said there were two ways to look at this. One, the set is so good it did not need any upgrades. Two, the manufacturer is just being lazy. :)

Mike.......Although the A1E and A8F models feature the same OLED screen, processor and software, there are differences. When stand mounted the A1E series screen is not vertical, rather it is angled back. It is also thicker that the A8F, so when wall hung the A1E series is 107mm in depth versus the A8F's 76mm depth. According to what I have read on several other sites, the A8F series will only be available in 55" and 65", whereas the A1 series is available with a 77" screen. There are also differences in the woofers. The Sony A1E has a single 80mm woofer, while the A8F and two 60mm woofers. Also, the smart TV system on the A8F is Android 7.0 Nougat, while the A1E uses Android 6.0 Marshmellow. That is all the differences I have been able to uncover.

Mike.......I have not viewed a Sony Z9D 75" television, but everything I have read about it says it is one of the best LED LCD TV's on the market. It uses Sony's 4K HRD X1 Extreme processor, as well as their Backlight Master Drive, said to produce unprecedented dynamic range with incredibly deep black levels. The ZD9 series has Sony's ultra dense LED structure featuring local dimming that aids in the amazing contrast between light and dark. Each LED is discretely controlled which helps create an extremely accurate picture.

A couple of reoccurring comments I've read say that the ZD9 series suffers slightly from issues with motion, although Sony's True Cinema motion setting dramatically improves this issue, and picture quality deteriorates when viewed at angles exceeding 35 degrees or so. This is not unusual for LCD screens. The importance of these issues would have to be determined by you as to their impact on your viewing requirements, but most likely minimal.

Perhaps someone with a Sony ZD9 series televisions can chime in. The ZD9 series televisions are getting rave reviews.

Mike.......I have not viewed a Sony Z9D 75" television, but everything I have read about it says it is one of the best LED LCD TV's on the market. It uses Sony's 4K HRD X1 Extreme processor, as well as their Backlight Master Drive, said to produce unprecedented dynamic range with incredibly deep black levels. The ZD9 series has Sony's ultra dense LED structure featuring local dimming that aids in the amazing contrast between light and dark. Each LED is discretely controlled which helps create an extremely accurate picture.

A couple of reoccurring comments I've read say that the ZD9 series suffers slightly from issues with motion, although Sony's True Cinema motion setting dramatically improves this issue, and picture quality deteriorates when viewed at angles exceeding 35 degrees or so. This is not unusual for LCD screens. The importance of these issues would have to be determined by you as to their impact on your viewing requirements, but most likely minimal.

Perhaps someone with a Sony ZD9 series televisions can chime in. The ZD9 series is getting rave reviews.

The motion blurring would drive me nuts. I pretty much only watch hockey.

The motion blurring would drive me nuts. I pretty much only watch hockey.

Then your choice is easy:

Sports: 8.7
Excellent for sports fans. Motion handling is excellent due to the instantaneous response time and ability to flicker the image to clear up motion. Dirty screen effect is also not an issue, as the screen is very uniform. Picture quality is also excellent, and remains accurate when viewed at an angle which is great for large numbers of people to watch an important game.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

The Sony A1E is Sony's premium OLED TV from 2017. They both have very similar features, and both offer excellent picture quality. The C8 is noticeably brighter, but the C8 and A1E offer very similar performance. The C8 has much better input lag and better smart features. For the same price, the C8 is the better buy.

Then your choice is easy:

Sports: 8.7
Excellent for sports fans. Motion handling is excellent due to the instantaneous response time and ability to flicker the image to clear up motion. Dirty screen effect is also not an issue, as the screen is very uniform. Picture quality is also excellent, and remains accurate when viewed at an angle which is great for large numbers of people to watch an important game.

[emoji830] https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

Thanks Bob. I like!

Mike, I've never owned all those TVs in the same room ... that would require a huge dealer room, which I am not. Rtings is a good resourceful site in helping people like us to make the right choice.

You're a hockey fan, and if I was (I used to be, big time), I would buy the new LG OLED, 8 Series, 77" because you like the big size, and me too.

Sony 65" OLED

Mike, I've never owned all those TVs in the same room ... that would require a huge dealer room, which I am not. Rtings is a good resourceful site in helping people like us to make the right choice.

You're a hockey fan, and if I was (I used to be, big time), I would buy the new LG OLED, 8 Series, 77" because you like the big size, and me too.

I agree. It’s definitely gone to the top of the list. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back