Solid state for TAD CR-1

As always Joe I really value your insightful commentary. The Zanden rep said something interesting about cr-1 vs. ref tad. He said the recommended power is 50-200 and that the cr-1 are actually designed for smaller rooms and not to play as loud as the tad ref. Speakers which are actually designed for louder playing for much larger rooms and perhaps many cr-1 owners may b pushing their speakers beyond their recommended usage. Personally my listening room is not huge(11x16) and my triangle is about 8x8x8. This is why I am open to considering more than just ss amps with minimum of 200/400. Ultimately listening will prove what is needed

Thanks Nick. Your journey as of late has been tremendously valuable to me as well and I appreciate your experience. I know Zanden makes great gear and if you do try those amps please let me know. It's funny based on my experiments I think moderate to higher powered tube gear would be awesome on my TADs. I'm not sure why I have not explored it more. I do run my system a lot and that has something to do with it. I've tried my 20wpc Carver Black Beauty with great success and was thinking about adding a second one Jeff W. has for sale, giving me 40wpc. I do not play my TADs very loud, my room is not huge. I think for my taste a sweeter 100 to 200 watt tube setup would be ideal on my TADs.

I've had XA100.5's on my TADs and thought it sounded great. The heat output for me would be too much in the summer but welcomed in the winter. I think the Xa160.5 or xa200 would be better on the TADs than the xa100 because of a firmer grip and tighter presentation.

I can only imagine how wonderful the Xs150 or Xs300 would be. Based on all accounts the Xs series of amps is superb giving more depth. Bigger sound stage. A clearer window into the music. Lower noise floor. More coherent presentation. I better stop. I may want them.

What's a little heat for the sake of the absolute sound!?!?

I'm kidding of course. If it is like that in NY, then I won't even try it in Asia. Thanks for your response Joe. Your journey has been a most interesting one. Thank you for sharing it with us. By the way, I am not sure that you have a preference between the DAG and the DART. Is there a flavor that you prefer?

What's a little heat for the sake of the absolute sound!?!?

I'm kidding of course. If it is like that in NY, then I won't even try it in Asia. Thanks for your response Joe. Your journey has been a most interesting one. Thank you for sharing it with us. By the way, I am not sure that you have a preference between the DAG and the DART. Is there a flavor that you prefer?

Hi High,

That's what I said until I was soaking wet from the perspiration. :( But oh did it sound great. It's fun to share and I'm glad I can help others not make my mistakes.

As for my preference, I seem to go against generally accepted combos from others. I was first to nominate the TAD/Dartzeel combo. Finally others realized how good it sounds and are staying with that combo. While I still have the Dartzeels, I've come to prefer my D'Agostino Momentum amp and preamp on my TAD CR-1's. Technically I feel the Dartzeel combo is better for all the reasons audiophiles love to listen to music but for me, I feel any lack of resolution or added meat on the bone (read fullness) is a welcome addition to my listening enjoyment via the TAD CR-1's. I find the Dartzeel/TAD combo more precise and truthful, while I find the Dagostino/TAD combo more musical and fulfilling. Having the ability to use my tone controls for a -1 treble and +1 bass (sadly there is no zero point for either bass or treble) for the more hotly recorded cds has been supremely satisfying. I've always found my CR-1's to be a little forward in the treble. It's not generally a problem unless the cds are too much to take. So I have to say that while I still enjoy the TAD/Dartzeel combo, in the long run I prefer the TAD/Dagostino combo.

Lately since buying a pair of Sonus Faber Evolutions, my Dartzeel works wonderfully on them. In the case of these speakers, the Dartzeel I feel is better and what I like about the Dagostino gear works against the warmth and fullness of the Evos giving me too much of a good thing. I feel a more precise and neutral amp works better on the Evos. I have a feeling my Job 225 (or similar amp) will be even better on my Evos and will find out this weekend.

Last edited:
Back