Should I get the Magnepan 20.7 ?

Thanks. Do you think my MC275's will feed them enough power to drive them ?

If you read the info on Magnepan's website, you can see they favor SS amps with big power supplies. The Magnepan's have a reputation for being current hungry beasts and Magnepan recommends amplifiers that double their output as the impedance halves. Tubes don't fit that equation. The MC275 is a great sounding amp, but it needs an appropriate speaker and this could be a match made in hell.

If you read the info on Magnepan's website, you can see they favor SS amps with big power supplies. The Magnepan's have a reputation for being current hungry beasts and Magnepan recommends amplifiers that double their output as the impedance halves. Tubes don't fit that equation. The MC275 is a great sounding amp, but it needs an appropriate speaker and this could be a match made in hell.

Thanks for honest opinion. Good to know :)

Wilson Sasha 2 for 275's IMO.

Sorry Mike. I do understand they are great speakers. However the Wilson Audio speakers are not my cup of tea.

Hi Paul i have had the chance to hear both Magnepan 20.7 & Audio Exklusiv P-3.1 and for just about the same price i would choose the 20.7s with no hesitation IF you have the room because the Audio Exklusiv P-3.1 is a much smaller speaker.

Thanks Andre :)

Hi folks, feel warm to meet you guys here. Could any 20.7 users post a few pics of the xover part? Haven't find any yet, just wanna know if they use any exotic components, the crossovers in my 3.7 only use common components. This makes me curious.

The 20.7 does not have an external crossover any more. To take a pic would require dissembling the back panel.

Hi Paul i have had the chance to hear both Magnepan 20.7 & Audio Exklusiv P-3.1 and for just about the same price i would choose the 20.7s with no hesitation IF you have the room because the Audio Exklusiv P-3.1 is a much smaller speaker.

RIP Andre.... We all miss you

Hi folks, feel warm to meet you guys here. Could any 20.7 users post a few pics of the xover part? Haven't find any yet, just wanna know if they use any exotic components, the crossovers in my 3.7 only use common components. This makes me curious.

I know someone that has tweaked the crossovers in the 20.7's, they are as you suspect, budget. I didn't ask what or where but it was definitely upgradeable.

I know someone that has tweaked the crossovers in the 20.7's, they are as you suspect, budget. I didn't ask what or where but it was definitely upgradeable.

Upgradeable ...yes Kev but only to the extent that any speaker crossover could be upgradeable if you took the thing apart . I daresay that if one was knowledgeable about these things , you could even wire up an external box to house the crossover . The question is though...would you want to? The issue is not whether budget components were used but what sonic impact you'd have making changes to components that in the case of the Maggies, have been carefully selected over a long evolution. Similar to the point Kevin Hayes makes about NOS tubes on his amps . He uses $15 Chinese KT88's on $100,000 amps and tends to be quite strident in his views against using NOS tubes that haven't been matched or bench tested.

Upgradeable ...yes Kev but only to the extent that any speaker crossover could be upgradeable if you took the thing apart . I daresay that if one was knowledgeable about these things , you could even wire up an external box to house the crossover . The question is though...would you want to? The issue is not whether budget components were used but what sonic impact you'd have making changes to components that in the case of the Maggies, have been carefully selected over a long evolution. Similar to the point Kevin Hayes makes about NOS tubes on his amps . He uses $15 Chinese KT88's on $100,000 amps and tends to be quite strident in his views against using NOS tubes that haven't been matched or bench tested.
With respect to the above I disagree totally. the question was about the "quality"as in the statement "the crossovers in my 3.7 only use common components. This makes me curious"
It is a well documented fact that over the years Magnepan have never gone to the "better" but have used materials in their crossovers, binding posts, fuses etc, etc, that will suffice. I don't really want to go down this road of bashing Magnepan for the materials they use & point out their shortcomings as I really like their product & have owned some. A perfect example is the jumpers they supply are solid copper, generic for the tweeter & midrange/bass. To list all of these things would be a huge disservice to a great product, but, from your point of view Shodhan, maybe some won't like the sound of inserting more "exotic" parts.

With respect to the above I disagree totally. the question was about the "quality"as in the statement "the crossovers in my 3.7 only use common components. This makes me curious"
It is a well documented fact that over the years Magnepan have never gone to the "better" but have used materials in their crossovers, binding posts, fuses etc, etc, that will suffice. I don't really want to go down this road of bashing Magnepan for the materials they use & point out their shortcomings as I really like their product & have owned some. A perfect example is the jumpers they supply are solid copper, generic for the tweeter & midrange/bass. To list all of these things would be a huge disservice to a great product, but, from your point of view Shodhan, maybe some won't like the sound of inserting more "exotic" parts.

Sure I get it Kev - I was just trying to make a distinction between well-documented and discussed tweaks like changing the jumpers , spiking the speakers, stands and fuses . Those are all non-controversial areas and I've implemented most of them with Cardas cable jumpers , Hi-Fi Tuning fuses & Track Audio spikes. However (and you may beg to differ) , I think all of that is a far cry from technical upgrades like the crossovers which are firstly , hard to access and secondly , areas where you run the serious chance of altering a carefully tuned product. Some areas are simply more controversial and speaking for myself , there's a line in the sand I won't cross when it comes to things like this. Practically speaking , this is also the kind of thing that would have to be done on-site given the size of these things , which further limits options . My soldering skills are lousy .....:P

Shodhan, pair of pliers & a ham fist, a vice, jar of vaseline & persistence.... amazing what one can accomplish, Around about then you realise you don't own a gluegun ;)

Kev, please stay on topic , we are talking about modifying crossovers , you seem to have deviated away from the subject at hand....:P

No pictures with 8 pages ?
Any Magnepan pictures ?
I have Jeff Rowland and I would know : do you think, it's a good association ?
Best regards

thank you very much.
But I search people, happy with their Magnepan 20.7.
Anyone ?

I hear Accuphase A47 with Preamplifier Accuphase and DP 550...It's very bad.
I suppose they do anything : they prefer I buy Wilson Audio.
I suppose the Magnepan are not in phase.

The sound was very bad and I prefer DALI Rubicon ??? Very strange.... Sound was very poor, not accuracy, voice are bad....

So, I have many doubt.

Can someone tell me that is thinking about Magnepan 20.7 ?

Thank you very much

If you don't get any replies, is there a Magnepan dealer near you? If so, ask him if you can bring in your amp and preamp into the store and listen to the Magnpan's closest to what you want to buy. He might be willing to do this if you do it during his slowest weekday when nobody will be in the store. Your amp isn't obscenely heavy so lifting it isn't impossible.

Back