Opinions of Quad ESL 57's

The Kithara (28hz to 23khz and 94db sensitivity) has a killer midrange in the league of the Apogees and better highs to 23khz. Bass is very competent with the tuned port floorplate too.

Every Apogee sounds different, based on the ribbon and the amp – there are some disappointing ones and there are the best. To get the best of the Apogee midrange, you need to listen to a good straight foil ribboned FR or Scintilla, driven by loads of class A current

Many moons ago we used to double/triple stack the big heil transformer drivers , that driver was a reference then as now when comparing tweeters ..

Sadly some years Later when OH made his fullrange version of the Heil Transformer i did not get to hear it , only read it had "issues" and never made it to full production ...

Regards
That was the ESS big Heil driver...the one from Precide is even better, as OH designed this only for his pal Martin after he was disillusioned by the then ESS team. It was his last design creation that has even been a bit refined with tinkering over the years.

See my Avatar picture vs the ESS classic here:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ESS-1013915.jpg
    ESS-1013915.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 76
  • amt-1a%u00252B2blog1.jpg
    amt-1a%u00252B2blog1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 75
Hi, have you heard the PK 57s?

of course :) I've had extensive sessions with two different pairs. Wayne's rebuild also changes the voicing and they do play louder. He removes rivet heads here and there and other tricks to accomplish this. My point of reference are NOS 57s in the 50,XXX serial number range, these were among the last factory produced unit's from the early '80s. Every 57 I've owned sounded close or nearly identical to this reference pair. Wayne's build def sounds different so account for it when you pull the trigger. personally, I like Kent's rebuild because its the most faithful to the factory spec. I liken this to restoring a '65 Shelby GT350 to showroom spec vs. modifying it with different suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. to some this is less desirable and cringe worthy, to others its a vast improvement. you need to decide which camp you're in.

+1 on Kent McCollum's work.

It is my opinion that a pair of rebuilt ESL63 from Kent represent an audiophile "bargain".

I found my set to play best with a Quad 909 amp. I have no doubt that the ESL57 also performed best with an amp built to purpose.

To repeat the car analogy, the speaker is like a high performance engine that runs best with a certain octane rated fuel.

Great photo Mike!

You'd need a huge room for stacked Quads and some of the purists think just a pair is better.

I read that article. The reviewer love them. Have you heard them?

Yes! Love them - for what they are and what they do. He attacked their lack of high end extension and dynamics, but come on, they do vocals and piano better than anything. He did seem content with their SPL limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I heard the 2912's, I called Joe and said, "they must cost $70,000 or more". LOL.

If you're banging out Led Zeppelin at 105db, these are not for you.

If you're listening to female vocal, piano, etc. Oh yes!

But, be aware, they require some maintenance and TLC and need room to breath (behind them). I think the review said they come with pages and pages of warnings. LOL.

I've had Quad ESL-63 Pro fully restored by Ken Simpson (use to be the Quad importer in Canada) and a pair of Quad ESL-2905. Both speakers were stunning, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a professionally restored pair! Lots of hack jobs out there, do your homework any buy from someone who has a good reputation...restoration and repair aren't cheap!

Back