New Turntable

AVphile

I have owned a SOTA Sapphire turntable w/Premier FT-3 arm for 39 years. While during that time, I have purchased new cartridges (my latest being a Hana SL), new phono preamps, and even a SweetVinyl SugarCube click/pop/noise reduction device, I have always kept the same turntable and arm as they seemed to work just fine. Nevertheless, about two years ago, I started to seriously upgrade my audio system to its inevitable "end game" status, and, eventually, I began the slow process of reconsidering a new turntable as well as renovating my SOTA Sapphire.

Cutting to the case, I bought a new Technics SL-1200G turntable and installed it yesterday morning. All I can say is that I had no idea how good vinyl could still sound. This new table, combined with my Hana SL cartridge, is simply terrific. Earlier this year I spent over $25,000 on a new SACD transport and DAC (not counting cabling). This new SL-1200G and Hana SL cartridge cost me just over $5,000, and the analog signal they produce gives my digital subsystem a good run for its money, particularly against "remastered" digital streaming.

I don't intend for this posting to be a criticism against digital sources; rather, I just want to state that this Technics SL-1200G turntable has been one hell of a positive addition to my audio system and is worthy of consideration (if you decide to invest in pure analog playback) for yours, too.

I have owned a SOTA Sapphire turntable w/Premier FT-3 arm for 39 years. While during that time, I have purchased new cartridges (my latest being a Hana SL), new phono preamps, and even a SweetVinyl SugarCube click/pop/noise reduction device, I have always kept the same turntable and arm as they seemed to work just fine. Nevertheless, about two years ago, I started to seriously upgrade my audio system to its inevitable "end game" status, and, eventually, I began the slow process of reconsidering a new turntable as well as renovating my SOTA Sapphire.

Cutting to the case, I bought a new Technics SL-1200G turntable and installed it yesterday morning. All I can say is that I had no idea how good vinyl could still sound. This new table, combined with my Hana SL cartridge, is simply terrific. Earlier this year I spent over $25,000 on a new SACD transport and DAC (not counting cabling). This new SL-1200G and Hana SL cartridge cost me just over $5,000, and the analog signal they produce gives my digital subsystem a good run for its money, particularly against "remastered" digital streaming.

I don't intend for this posting to be a criticism against digital sources; rather, I just want to state that this Technics SL-1200G turntable has been one hell of a positive addition to my audio system and is worthy of consideration (if you decide to invest in pure analog playback) for yours, too.
How is it vs your SOTA setup ..?

Back