New Toys!

Of course, It's not only Devialet. Who still has the same amplifier for the last year in their main system?

Me too. But I've switched out amps for my second system several times.

Your first statement implied differently:
Who still has the same amplifier for the last year in their main system?

To me, there is just no way you are going to buy two pieces of brand new gear and within a week think that you have a definitive handle on them when they couldn't have possibly have even had time to break in yet. I've said it before and I will say it again: Just because you have components that are considered "reference level" doesn't mean you have a reference system if you never spend more than a few weeks without changing out major components of your system. Your system simply changes too fast for you to ever understand where you are. I know some of you don't even care as you are just interested in the sound of the week and next week you will look for a different sound as soon as you see something new and shiny that you want to chase.

To me, there is just no way you are going to buy two pieces of brand new gear and within a week think that you have a definitive handle on them when they couldn't have possibly have even had time to break in yet. I've said it before and I will say it again: Just because you have components that are considered "reference level" doesn't mean you have a reference system if you never spend more than a few weeks without changing out major components of your system. Your system simply changes too fast for you to ever understand where you are. I know some of you don't even care as you are just interested in the sound of the week and next week you will look for a different sound as soon as you see something new and shiny that you want to chase.

Naturally I disagree. I probably had a good 10 hours of quality listening time with the NAD pair. That's not enough time to compare it to the devialet (which I've had for six months and am intimately familiar with)? If that's true, what good are store demos where you only get like 20 minutes with a component? Or even home demos for a weekend? Or audio shows? I think a week is plenty especially when I'm doing an A/B comparison.

Now i will accept you're argument that they weren't run-in. But then I don't put much weight on run-in for solid state units like this.

i do agree that constantly changing many elements in your system creates a moving target that is difficult to assess or draw conclusions about. However, if a person is in pursuit of say a new preamp and the rest of the system remains static, I could easily see someone legitimately trying 4 or 5 over the course of a few weeks to see which one works best. I do not believe each preamp would need to be lived with for 6 months to properly evaluate it in the system.

To me, there is just no way you are going to buy two pieces of brand new gear and within a week think that you have a definitive handle on them

What about when the manufacturer of whatever component says that you do?

I find myself vacillating greatly on this matter. OT1H, you need to spend time with a new component...weigh the pros and cons, good and bad; throw a variety of music at it, etc, etc. OTOH...you can go crazy, trying to decide "well...this one has longer cymbal decay; but with that one, I can tell what kind of piano is being played" :rolleyes: ;)

So I kinda do both: I spend time, I listen...I swap; etc, etc. And if one is a clear winner, than so be it. But sometimes...maybe most of the time, at this lofty level; it's a matter of different, not "better". So sometimes...when all is said and done...I pick one good track, listen; swap...and decide.

Sometimes, you just have to go with your gut!

I find myself vacillating greatly on this matter. OT1H, you need to spend time with a new component...weigh the pros and cons, good and bad; throw a variety of music at it, etc, etc. OTOH...you can go crazy, trying to decide "well...this one has longer cymbal decay; but with that one, I can tell what kind of piano is being played" :rolleyes: ;)

So I kinda do both: I spend time, I listen...I swap; etc, etc. And if one is a clear winner, than so be it. But sometimes...maybe most of the time, at this lofty level; it's a matter of different, not "better". So sometimes...when all is said and done...I pick one good track, listen; swap...and decide.

Sometimes, you just have to go with your gut!

In this case, there was a clear winner.

In this case, there was a clear winner.

Interesting thread. It's clear that you find the 400 far superior and I would have assumed the same based on all the reviews and accolades I have read. I am currently considering the NAD M2 or Devialet 200. In your opinion is the choice as clear in that comparison? I don't mind spending the extra 3.5K for the 200 if the difference in sound quality warrants it.

Back