NEW Contour LE

CDLehner

Dynaudio Blog - All there is.

Answering customer demand, Dynaudio presented two updated models of the world renowned Contour series which are now available in new noble real wood surfaces: the Contour S 3.4 LE and Contour S 1.4 LE. The Limited Edition Contour LE models will be available in high gloss Bubinga, Mocca, or Oiled Natural Walnut finishes. The LE Contour models will be available for a limited time, and feature updated tweeters, crossovers and upgraded internal wiring.

"Answering customer demand"; I think they mean me! :D

I went up, the whole stand-mount chain; Focus 140s, Contour S1.4s, Special 25s, and Confidence C1 Sigs. It's the Contour, that has me wondering if a re-visit is in order.

Don't get me wrong; the C1 was significantly "better". But the Contour...at like a third the price, was a tremendous value.

And while I liked, it's slightly warm and "dark" presentation; I think a re-fresh...like Dyn gave the Focus line (the reports are, they were slightly tipped-up...versus your traditional Dyn house sound)...would be just what the doctor ordered.

And I've been saying so...for a few years now!! What I can't figure...is how Dyn can update the in-its-infancy Xeo; before the decade-old Contour? Is it because sales are down...and/or, it's crowding its place in the line-up; or sales are just fine...so they don't want to fix, what ain't broke??

So..who's heard 'em; and/or, has a pre-order already!? :celebrate008_2:

Are the changes purely cosmetic; or are these a zippier version, of the venerable model??

Last edited:
I love Dynaudio speakers and have been a fan since the first pairs I heard. My first real speakers were my Audience 82s. I also have the 42s and 122c for HT.
What I can't figure out is why they wont make them easier to drive. The plain 1.4s are 85db @4ohms, not the easiest to get full potential out of unless you have a higher quality/power amp. I am always amazed how the 42s can sound for such a small speaker in a 2ch setup.

What would be the minimum suggested Power Amp to drive the 1.4s properly?

I love Dynaudio speakers and have been a fan since the first pairs I heard. My first real speakers were my Audience 82s. I also have the 42s and 122c for HT.
What I can't figure out is why they wont make them easier to drive. The plain 1.4s are 85db @4ohms, not the easiest to get full potential out of unless you have a higher quality/power amp. I am always amazed how the 42s can sound for such a small speaker in a 2ch setup.

What would be the minimum suggested Power Amp to drive the 1.4s properly?

Brian...theory among the Dyn fans; is the big bass they achieve for their size, and the need for big power...go hand in hand. That the drivers, are very stiff (which also contributes to significant break-in)...and the excursion very long/deep.

But...the contention is also, that it's not necessarily the most power, that throws them around nicely; but it's current. Now...they are often one in the same; more power, nets you more driver-moving current. But not always.

Many owners, report good/great results...with modest-watt tube units (it has been my experience, anyway...that glass, always sounds like more power, than it's rated to produce); and kit like Naim (who's 5i for example...is rated at a mere 50wpc; but supposedly has 500wpc in headroom).

Last edited:
Very nice Chris. I loved my C1 Sigs but they needed a little juice to wake up. Late night, low level listening was a little flat but once you got past a certain volume, WOW! They were stunning.

Dyn_IMG_7660.jpg

Just joined thanks to CD. Where does it say that the 5i has been rated up to 500wpc peak?

Those new Countours are pretty, but I'd still be tempted to go after some used C1 sigs before I picked up a pair of these.

Just joined thanks to CD. Where does it say that the 5i has been rated up to 500wpc peak?

Those new Countours are pretty, but I'd still be tempted to go after some used C1 sigs before I picked up a pair of these.

A big welcome AH! :hey:

The Naim claim...no pun intended; used to be part of their stock lit, on the 5i. Looks like they've removed it, for the recently updated 5si; but the specs are still the same...and I've seen it repeated, in reviews and lit from Naim dealers (just Google).

Now...keep in mind, what it is: that's 500w, in short bursts...at 1ohm. It's a bit of marketing hype, IMO; but it does speak to the Naim's supposed headroom.

For the record...I was always curious, about Naim; as the fans, are fanatics alright. I was going to wade-in, with a 5i...but the Naim guys, urged me that the XS-2 was a BIG step up.

Well...IDK if it was the hype, or expectations; but it left me pretty underwhelmed. I never put down anyone else's kit; and to be fair...this was back, when I was most definitely, more into the BIG BALLS sound...lol. So...I might appreciate it more these days. I also tried a Rega Elicit, around the same time; and preferred it...though it was a little too laid-back for my tastes (again, at the time) as well.

Based on that...I would love, to hear the updated Elicit-R! Rumor is...it has definitely been tipped-up a bit; so that would give it perfect balance, if memory serves.

As for S1.4LEs v. C1 Sigs; all things being equal, that's a no-brainer (though, in my experience...the Contour would actually work better, in a small space. I think C1s, need some room...to really get out and run). But...I doubt, all things are equal...lol. "Stock" S1.4s, are $3500; C1 Sigs, are $9k (if memory serves).

I'm sure LEs are going to be pricier; but more than double? I don't think so. :disbelief:

Of course, that remians...one of the un-answered questions, about the LE line; what exactly was done...and what does it cost?? :skeptical:

Last edited:
Just got a reply from a dealer. They're saying October (happens to be, when me birthday is! ;))

Trying to ascertain a price now. Will update if I get something.

I'm not holding my breath for ~3 months... haha. Also, I was referring to used C1s vs new LEs. So I figure it'll probably be $4k-$4500 vs $5500. Might as well save a little extra and get something in the Confidence line. Gotta love how easy it is to rationalize taking the next step up, haha.

Just got a reply from a dealer. They're saying October (happens to be, when me birthday is! ;))

Trying to ascertain a price now. Will update if I get something.

You heard it here first; I have some juicy details (finally)...on the LE release:

I'm being told MSRP will be $4,250. I don't think $750, over stock...for updated tweeter, updated cross-over, upgraded wiring; and special, upgraded finishes...is bad at all.

Here are some detailed particulars, of the changes-

• The tweeters are crafted with the Precision Coating for a finer, more uniform fabric dome and dome coating
  • Upgraded internal wiring with high-grade OFC copper cable
  • Crossover upgraded with special Thin Film Ceramic Resistor in the high frequency section, as first utilized in the Consequence Ultimate and Confidence Signature models
OK; but what does all of that really mean, as far as the sound?

"The combination of the Precision Coating of the Contour tweeter, the upgraded internal wiring and the Thin Film Ceramic Resistor in the crossover provide the Contour S 1.4 LE and Contour S 3.4 LE with a more refined, clearer and even more finely detailed sonic performance, especially in the upper midrange and at higher frequencies, as compared to the standard models".

BINGO! :congrats:

Now...some bad news; at least AFAIC. In this picture...

I was under the impression, that speaker was an ALL BLACK...stealthy-looking, beauty. It's a p-optical illusion. :(

That's actually just a dark shadow; on the Gloss Mocha. There will be no, Black on Black.

Oh...there's a Gloss Black alright; it's just it comes, with a Stainless Steel baffle.

Don't get me wrong; that sounds cool as sh*t too! I'm just a fan, of Black/Black/Black (the mount is also Black ;))

Here are some pix...

One last thing; the S3.4LE, is projected to be $7,850.

Very exciting. I LOVE the s1.4s. I'm very interested. I bet they have these playing at RMAF!

Im confused about the finish though. The press release said nothing about a black version with stainless baffle but that does look like a pair in the pic.

Very exciting. I LOVE the s1.4s. I'm very interested. I bet they have these playing at RMAF!

Im confused about the finish though. The press release said nothing about a black version with stainless baffle but that does look like a pair in the pic.

You questioning, the veracity of my reconnaissance? :P

Another blurb...

Dynaudio previewed a Limited Edition version of the Contour S 1.4 and Contour S 3.4 models at the 2014 HIGH END Show in Munich. The Limited Edition Contour Contour S1.4 and S3.4 loudspeakers will be available in four optional finishes:

High Gloss Bubinga

High Gloss Mocca

Walnut Special

High Gloss Piano Lacquer*
* with Stainless Steel Baffle

My feeling is, the Gloss Black/Stainless combo...will be limited, and highly sought after (for example...the dealer who gave me this info; said he was getting Bubinga and Mocca...but no Black/Stainless). If you think you might want a pair; I'd start putting deposits down NOW! ;)

Last edited:
CD, any new gear you have/had tested? I miss your posts on the other forum. It is dry over there since you got clamped down :)

CD, any new gear you have/had tested? I miss your posts on the other forum. It is dry over there since you got clamped down :)

Thanks CMV; but let's be clear, lest the Sharks misunderstand their new Mod ;)

I left willingly, to teach the over-zealous OT police...a lesson. No audiophile, lives by one brand alone!

Newest/latest: Oppo HA-1 DAC (in the Main rig)...and a sweet, little Carver VTA-20S (aka Black Magic) with single-driver, 96db Omega A8s.

You are missed there for sure! A lot of people were chased out from that forum. Although I am mostly in the background just like the most, you make things interesting concerning the other brands you bring to the table aside from Dyn.

The Contour LE upgrade looks to be the same as the C1 MKII/Sig upgrade. Maybe they waited to release the LE after the C1 Platinum to justify the cost and keep the cost difference proportional. Although with all the rapid upgrades I hope it doesn't hurt the overall value of Dynaudio speakers in general.

I heard an investment group is part minority owner now and that may be why all the upgrades????? Hope that's wrong because Dynaudio is a great value. Too many minor changes, too fast especially cosmetic could really hurt the value IMO

Yo CD: Gar here, so are they going to use the Esotar2 tweeter in these? If so they would be a great buy, as Dynaudio need to try to make there great technology more affordable.

Back