NEW !!! conrad-johnson CA150 Control Amplifier

Sorry, C-J 2550SE

Ah. Not sure what to say, other than I love it...lol :audiophile:

It's powerful-sounding (I was surprised, that a review listed the unit...as doubling-down, to 500 @ 4ohms; because to my knowledge...C-J never posts those figures)...yet, of course, musical. I never had a 350...but I had an MF-2500A, and CA-200; and I would say the 2550SE, is just slightly leaner...than those units. That works fine for me...because the pairing, with the ET3-SE, is damn fine!

According to the seller...who I couldn't believe more; the unit only has, about 150 hours on it (they were noting). So the caps, are really...no where near broken in. In other words...things can only, get better :woot:

Awesome! So happy for you. It WILL get better. Enjoy the ride and keep the updates coming.

1) subs

2) just grumpy I guess. Plus I don't want to wait 4 weeks or more for CJ to fix it. Then what if they find something else that the seller won't pay for? Just time to move on i think.

Plus I really didn't expect solid state to sound as good as the CA-200 does. And it got me to thinking would separates ( and Pass) still give me more refinement? But this is like preaching to the choir isn't it?

Sorry Chris my last reply was to you. Haven't quite got the hang of navigating this site from my smart phone.

Joe, yes have considered the new CA 150. That's what got me going on this thread to begin with..Then I saw the ad for the used 200. I really had no idea it might better my separates. Anyone have an idea how the Pass int150 stacks up against the CA 200?

While we're on the subject:

I know back when the CA-200 was "hot"...when it seemed like every one of us, was passing one around, and giving it a try...lol; I even read about the amp section being sooo good...and essentially being a baby, Premier 175 if you will...that people were using it, as a stand-alone power-amp.

When I got the ET3-SE, and wanted to mate it with C-J SS power; I even thought of going this route. I'm very happy, with the choice I made! But out of curiosity, how would one do it. Looking at the inputs on the back of the unit; what would bypass the "pre" section?

While we're on the subject:

I know back when the CA-200 was "hot"...when it seemed like every one of us, was passing one around, and giving it a try...lol; I even read about the amp section being sooo good...and essentially being a baby, Premier 175 if you will...that people were using it, as a stand-alone power-amp.

When I got the ET3-SE, and wanted to mate it with C-J SS power; I even thought of going this route. I'm very happy, with the choice I made! But out of curiosity, how would one do it. Looking at the inputs on the back of the unit; what would bypass the "pre" section?

Chris, not sure I've got this right. Others more knowledgeable should chime in. But its a control amp. No gain in the pre stage. So set the volume/gain to 0db whatever setting (0-99) that might be and control the volume with the active preamp you're going to drive the amp section with. A call to CJ wouldn't hurt though :).

Chris, not sure I've got this right. Others more knowledgeable should chime in. But its a control amp. No gain in the pre stage. So set the volume/gain to 0db whatever setting (0-99) that might be and control the volume with the active preamp you're going to drive the amp section with. A call to CJ wouldn't hurt though :).

Do you guys agree; no gain...in other words, volume set to zero? As opposed to maxed out?

I preferred the amp section built-in the CA200 instead of the Pr350 amp.

Actually I think you would set it to EPL2 which is unity gain.

Last edited:
I think I bought and sold mine...for ~$2500 :|

I originally found a super clean dealer demo that was PERFECT in every way and barely used/demo'd. I foolishly sold it thinking I'd get better along the way. I am so sorry I sold that one.

For fear of being tarred and feathered and banned from this site forever, I must tell you that I decided not to buy back (or keep) the CA200. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a GREAT amp, and like I said before, it was much better than expected. The very short period that I had with it, I really enjoyed.

In its place I just set up today a Pass INT 30A. WHOA. As good as the CJ is the Pass is that much better. The bass is as punchy but more “tuneful”. The highs are more extended, but very smooth with no harshness. The mid-range that the CJ is known for, the Pass does better. It’s just more transparent, but so, so easy to listen to. Something, I’ve been doing for about 3 hrs. now and it just keeps getting better as it settles in. Oh, and it’s DEAD quiet. The music just comes out of nowhere.

I still have my Premier 15 so I’m not a complete turncoat, at least for now. Hope to see everyone soon on the Pass threads. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mark (marco1)

Congratulations Mark,

That's great! Pass is awesome. I've been considering XA60.8's for a long time. My memory of the CA200 could be better than it actually sounds. I am sure the INT30 is amazing.

Joe looking over that stable of yours I know there's a stall somewhere for those XA60.8's.

Joe looking over that stable of yours I know there's a stall somewhere for those XA60.8's.

:blush:

I think so too. Only problem is there is a short list ahead of the XA60.8's. I will have to see what comes next. :D

Back