Magico S5 update

Thanks, that is very helpful.

Here is some more help since you don't have a sense of humor: Maybe you have the MKI version where the volume control only goes to 63 and the much better sounding MKII version goes to 83. :P

That would be a lot of power on tap and one would think if he had his Pass preamp dialed up into the 80s that had to be real damn loud.

I think if you go back and read his post from July or August (link above in my post) - the amps shut down!

It was extremely loud. I could not believe how loud it was. The meters on the amps were dancing on the right side of the dial, and the whole time the S5s sounded great. I was impressed at how composed they were at such a loud level.

The amps didn't shutdown. The right speaker shutdown.

This would go from awful to unimaginably bad if you didn't live close to Magico and had to ship these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just noticed this thread now. I play my S5's with my Pass volume control in the 80's regularly. I can barely hear the speakers with it in the 60's!

Then again I was born in the 60's and maybe that's the problem!

Just noticed this thread now. I play my S5's with my Pass volume control in the 80's regularly. I can barely hear the speakers with it in the 60's!

Then again I was born in the 60's and maybe that's the problem!

I have not owned PASS (nice gear) but that does not seem correct. Are you running single ended or XLR to the amps? Is there a switch?
Are you running fixed or variable output from your source to the pre-amp. You may have to adjust the variable volume on the source to the pre-map.

On my Meridian 808 CD player I have it set to 87 variable which is equal to the fixed output from that unit. That is the proper set-up "to" the pre-map.

Resistors can be fried just like the tweeters. Magico uses one of the best resistors available - Mundorf Supreme. Tweeters come from Scan-Speak (S5 uses their regular, top of the range BE tweeter as opposed to Q series tweeters, which are custom made for them by ScanSpeak).

Your experience only shows that nothing is undestructible.

If the S5 was a regular speaker, you would probably turn it down after hearing the sound falling appart. As the S5 has such a low THD levels, it is difficoult to guage the traditional way how loud are you actually listening.

Resistors can be fried just like the tweeters. Magico uses one of the best resistors available - Mundorf Supreme. Tweeters come from Scan-Speak (S5 uses their regular, top of the range BE tweeter as opposed to Q series tweeters, which are custom made for them by ScanSpeak).

Your experience only shows that nothing is undestructible.

If the S5 was a regular speaker, you would probably turn it down after hearing the sound falling appart. As the S5 has such a low THD levels, it is difficoult to guage the traditional way how loud are you actually listening.
Even high quality tweeters will show some sort of distress before dying.

Here's a perfect example.

z1JlBMY.gif

Well, it has been a little over a month since the cross over repair, and everything still works. Hopefully, it will be like this all the time. :)

Anyway, while I have no proof, the speakers seem to be working the best since I got them. The volume appears balanced between both speakers, with neither side being dominate. The sound is ultra clear, clean, and precise. Of course, the new Shunyata Sigma Digital cable is helping that, but the S5s are up to the task of turning the clean electrical signal into music.

Have you exorcised the system yet Bud? :snicker:

I believe so. I ripped five Tierney Sutton CDs today, and am currently listening to them, and the speakers sound so good. As I mentioned earlier, I swear they sound better now after replacing three drivers, and fixing the left cross-over. Since the 'incident', I have not gone past the 90s, db wise, and rarely get above 65 on the volume.

Also, thanks to another thread where someone said alcohol deadens your hearing, I just noticed that the opposite occurs. As I am drinking a beer I am noticing that it actually seems to sound a bit louder than before the beer. Gadzooks, this sounds good. :)

I believe so. I ripped five Tierney Sutton CDs today, and am currently listening to them, and the speakers sound so good. As I mentioned earlier, I swear they sound better now after replacing three drivers, and fixing the left cross-over. Since the 'incident', I have not gone past the 90s, db wise, and rarely get above 65 on the volume.

Also, thanks to another thread where someone said alcohol deadens your hearing, I just noticed that the opposite occurs. As I am drinking a beer I am noticing that it actually seems to sound a bit louder than before the beer. Gadzooks, this sounds good. :)

Great to hear you're enjoying those wonderful speakers, Bud. I raise my glass in a toast to you. :)

Thank you Ian, and I toast you and your new M series. Double congratulations.

Now you should get a pair of Pass X600.8 amps, and find out how loud those bad boys can play. :)

Back