Lumin X1

For tagging, there are other utilities to tag the music, e.g. Mp3tag. If this is not what you're talking about, perhaps you may consider asking in MinimServer forum.

Yes, this is something else. I do use Mp3tag but even it will not tag file types like WAV or DFF (or is it DSF?). MC does some internal processing to store the information and associate it with the file in question. It's not really a "tag" or modification to the file itself but, rather, something MC does as a workaround.

Thanks again and I will check in the MinimServer forum!

My early impressions of moving from the S1 to the X1 are, quite literally, beyond my expectations! For me at this point in my listening career, it's all about sound stage for and my venerable B&W N800s have literally faded from view. At times before with the S1, I could identify where the speakers were positioned with certain pieces of music even with eyes closed. With the X1, the speakers are gone and the sound field extends well to the sides of the speakers even encroaching on where the side surrounds would be if I were in 5.1 surround mode. I actually had to get up and check if I had something mis-configured just to be sure. There is also a glorious sense of height both above and below the speakers as well as depth that I was not prepared for. Astonishing!

(The material I am currently listening to is some works by Isao Tomita, a Japanese master of the synthesizer, including "Kosmos" and "The Bermuda Triangle". I am looking forward to listening to more symphonic music later on.

Placed my order today for a Black X1. Now comes the hard part. Waiting. :)
Prepare to be amazed! Compared to the S1 it replaced, the soundstage has opened up in all directions including in front of, behind, to the sides of and almost extending to where the surrounds would be in a 7.1 speaker arrangement, and in height as well when used with my B&W 800 stereo mains.

I am going to use the coaxial output of the Lumin X1 to drive an inexpensive DAC capable of accepting 192khz-24bit to directly drive a headphone amp of mine when I want to do some private listening without energizing the complete 7.1 channel system.

Looking at the X1's active audio output options with the Lumin app, it appears that only one of the three outputs can be active at any given time. Is this correct or is it possible to have, let's say, both the Analog and SPDIF outputs active simultaneously?

Thank you.

I am going to use the coaxial output of the Lumin X1 to drive an inexpensive DAC capable of accepting 192khz-24bit to directly drive a headphone amp of mine when I want to do some private listening without energizing the complete 7.1 channel system.

Looking at the X1's active audio output options with the Lumin app, it appears that only one of the three outputs can be active at any given time. Is this correct or is it possible to have, let's say, both the Analog and SPDIF outputs active simultaneously?

Thank you.
I asked the same question and the answer is that on the X1 only one output can be active at the same time. You will have to manually switch outputs as needed.

Which digital output of the X1 to use and why?

I can use either the SPDIF or USB output of the X1 to drive my bespoke headphone DAC/Amp. The DAC/Amp is good to PCM384, DSD256 all at up to 32 bit word length.

Initially I've found the SPDIF output is limited in its ability to output several formats natively that I'd like to be able to listen to and have to resort to custom audio sampling. The USB, on the other hand, seems able to do what I want without having to resort to custom sampling rates to get DSD to decode.

Golden ears aside, my question is there any thing intrinsically measurable that says one interface is better than the other?

Thanks much!

I'd like to give a simple answer but they are too different to be compared, and does not generally apply to different DAC. Play some 16/44.1 using either connection and see which sounds better to you.

Thanks. Many treatises to be found on the internet on the subject and I see what you mean about there not being a simple answer. I'll listen per your advice.

Hi, just setup my QNAP NAS with a folder with lossless/DSD files.
Is there a step-by-step guide to set up QNAP NAS music streaming to the X1?

Hi, just setup my QNAP NAS with a folder with lossless/DSD files.
Is there a step-by-step guide to set up QNAP NAS music streaming to the X1?

Connect the NAS to your network. Then install MiniMServer on the NAS (the tricky part as you may have to install Java on the NAS as well). Load your music on your NAS and then go into the Lumin app, find the NAS and you’re all set.

Here is a more detailed explanation:

http://www.luminmusic.com/support-quickstart.html

Back