Lumin X1 Fiber Optic Network Discussions

15f03968d5e0fc8bddd1d98117190af5.jpg

b0b1834b2be36cc9aea053406d8d4667.jpg

Testing the optical on the X1 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here!
66ff1f1542d35a4c490281b96f0f54e2.jpg

Envoyé de mon LG-H933 en utilisant Tapatalk

In order to answer questions about choice of optical network switch from dealers and for review purpose, at this point we're looking at Cisco SG112-24 Compact 24-port switch (USD119) as a potential candidate considering the brand, availability, price, and subjective listening results. We have received a preliminary positive report from a dealer, but are still waiting for the switch to arrive to do our own testing. While most unmanaged switches will work with Lumin app, when it comes to Roon further testing is required (especially for this particular brand).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833422828

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Sg112-24-Compact-24-port-Switch/dp/B00Z1N2ON2

There is now an audiophile version of the Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch modified with Connor Winfield OCXO. This dealer also supplies CORNING ClearCurve glass fiber for Lumin X1 as well:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hiendy.com%2Fhififorum%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D118289&edit-text=&act=url

https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/sg112-24-mod

Price is HKD5899 ~ roughly USD756. Power supply for the switch needs to be purchased separately.

There is now an audiophile version of the Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch modified with Connor Winfield OCXO.

Surprisingly, Kenneth Lau bought this and said it sounds better (using his LPS) than the modified Buffalo switch he used to sell. (I believe, but not 100% sure, he is using dCS.)

This should be available later this summer... and some who have heard this say it sounds even better than the linear solutions products:

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/snh-10g/
The brand new Lumin X1. Impressive even with ethernet connexion (Oxco router wow!), but I got noise issue between tracks when resampling. If not solve within 14 days, I go for the dCS Bartok

The brand new Lumin X1. Impressive even with ethernet connexion (Oxco router wow!), but I got noise issue between tracks when resampling.

I've tested this issue independently from Li On, who has already replied your e-mail. No tick sound is heard with resampling turned off (as default). No tick sound is heard when upsampling PCM gapless albums (e.g. concert) to DSD either. With non-gapless albums, only with the pre-amp volume turned high could a really faint tick sound be heard at the end of some tracks.

This is a difficulty that the DSD format brings. If we pick two random separate tracks from DSD album and concatenate them together using a computer, there can be a tick sound at the merge point when played back by any DAC too.

If you're not satisfied with the Lumin internal upsampling, I recommend you play them with resampling turned OFF (as default), or use Roon DSP Engine to upsample on an i7 PC. With a powerful CPU more sophisticated upsampling can be done.

I've tested this issue independently from Li On, who has already replied your e-mail. No tick sound is heard with resampling turned off (as default). No tick sound is heard when upsampling PCM gapless albums (e.g. concert) to DSD either. With non-gapless albums, only with the pre-amp volume turned high could a really faint tick sound be heard at the end of some tracks.

This is a difficulty that the DSD format brings. If we pick two random separate tracks from DSD album and concatenate them together using a computer, there can be a tick sound at the merge point when played back by any DAC too.

If you're not satisfied with the Lumin internal upsampling, I recommend you play them with resampling turned OFF (as default), or use Roon DSP Engine to upsample on an i7 PC. With a powerful CPU more sophisticated upsampling can be done.
I understand... As I said, I'm going to investigate: It's maybe my files or other devices in my setup like my NAS electrical connection. I'm going to install my new router and power supply first. Thank you for your intervention.

A Hong Kong audiophile forum moderator has written his impression of Lumin X1 copper LAN vs Fiber network:

LAN - Smooth, separation, comfortable
Fiber - Dark background, texture, treble and bass extension

Edit: This setup uses the modified Cisco switch in post #45.

A Hong Kong audiophile forum moderator has written his impression of Lumin X1 copper LAN vs Fiber network:

LAN - Smooth, separation, comfortable
Fiber - Dark background, texture, treble and bass extension

Very similar to my findings after nearly 400 hours here. I would not say the Fiber is a hands down winner either, but there are subtle differences between the Fiber and Ethernet, not totally apparent at first, which are now starting to arise.

After 400 hours, very impressed with what we are hearing. There is treble extension without harshness. Great separation. 3D. Musical, without being forward, aggressive or processed sounding.

Definitely a step up over the S1 IMO.

I hope I don't step on any toes, but I've been in and around this discussion from day one. I have some close friends who have a thread on a computer audio site and they've been demoing equipment etc... for a few years now. I personally have heard most of the 'home made' solutions etc... I have an EMO EN-70e coming any day now. When you already have a top LPS, this maybe the best solution going and it's 135 delivered. It's a filter, but it doesn't touch the music. Two of my friends like this set up better than using their audiophile switches with a top LPS on the conversion end of the optical connection etc.... This is for any streaming feed and not only a Lumin that seems to have it built in.

My close friend also is the US distributor for Waversa. They are making a true audiophile switch with everything built in along with a TOP router. The thing is that everyone's set up is going to sound different. Just like electrical, we all have different issues when using an ethernet feed. Cables too, are very very important. I've sent Mike the Waversa info and maybe he'll get in touch with my friend to try it out to see if he hears a positive difference or not.

For me, in order, my favorite servers are the The Memory Player, Aurender N10 and then it's a toss up between the Lumin (a bit soft for my taste, but musical and a top choice), The Music Vault and Antipodes. That said, I like my Mac mini with Paul Hynes LPS better than all, but the Aurender and TMP (it was hand built by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio for his showing off his DAC at shows). Everything is turned off, but the ethernet. Even bluetooth is turned off when I'm not making selections as everything adds noise and the more programs working in the background makes noise etc....

This is why each set up is so different. Hope I haven't stepped on any toes.

II have an EMO EN-70e coming any day now. When you already have a top LPS, this maybe the best solution going and it's 135 delivered. It's a filter, but it doesn't touch the music. Two of my friends like this set up better than using their audiophile switches with a top LPS on the conversion end of the optical connection etc....

One of the reasons for the audio benefit from LAN isolator and LPS may possibly be related to reduction of leakage current in Ethernet. (Leakage current is also eliminated by the fiber optic network in X1.) I hope it works well for you.

When you have a chance to listen to the Lumin X1, please do. I have a customer who prefers X1 to the QX-5 he has been using.

Totally different sounds. Lumin a bit softer, QX5 a bit more detailed, but still tonally nice. Both are good units. I'm actually having a DAC built into my Memory Player. They are using the newest quad chip by AK and using stealth caps and top power supplies etc... I haven't heard it yet, but they think it will match the LH DAvinci mk 2 that a couple of my friends own and use with their Memory Player (used only as a server).

Brinkman is one of the most listenable DAC's I've ever heard. They too have done a wonderful job. I"m very very picky. I don't like the Chord Dave as so many do. I also find the DCS stack to be a bit dry for my tastes. I did like Mike's top of the line MBL stack and I didn't like their first DAC's before the new one.

I'll listen to the Lumin again when I'm around one. I always keep an open ear and mind. Good sound can always make me change my thoughts, lol.

There is now an audiophile version of the Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch modified with Connor Winfield OCXO. This dealer also supplies CORNING ClearCurve glass fiber for Lumin X1 as well:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hiendy.com%2Fhififorum%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D118289&edit-text=&act=url

https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/sg112-24-mod

Price is HKD5899 ~ roughly USD756. Power supply for the switch needs to be purchased separately.
I bought the "Cisco SG112-24 Mod" and a pair of "Cisco GLC-ZX-SMD Compatible 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 80km DOM Transceiver Module".

Now I want the best optic cord to link between the Cisco and the X1. In your opinion, what kind of cord and what brand would be the best in your option?

Now I want the best optic cord to link between the Cisco and the X1. In your opinion, what kind of cord and what brand would be the best in your option?

We use 3M Volition simply because it's available for us to purchase locally. A dealer claims that he finds Corning ClearCurve single-mode glass fiber to be the best - however, it's not clear to me from where can one purchase it with the proper connectors, as a google search mostly shows bare fiber only.

I bought the "Cisco SG112-24 Mod" and a pair of "Cisco GLC-ZX-SMD Compatible 1000BASE-ZX SFP 1550nm 80km DOM Transceiver Module".

Those optics may be too "hot" for your short connection between X1 and switch. You bought extend long range (ZX class) transceivers rated for up to 80km. I would check with Lumin before plugging those in.

Back