HiFi Rose RS150 Network Streamer Review

I did a update on the RS150b last night. It was interesting in how it updated at least interesting to me. It was a three part update. Meaning it updated and then prompted to update the unit again and then a third time. I was wondering if there was a bug and it might brick my unit so I just went through the process. It finished the update and the unit is fine. And works as before the update. It does have the Apple now active on my iPad and iPhone but I don't have a Apple Music account active. So, I can't report how that sounds or works. As Mike posted "high resolution is in works". I am able to set the screen to display the time while I play Roon however I was playing from one of my play list and after each song change the display will go back to the original cover art on the display this also happened when playing a complete album. Looks like another update will have to correct that. The VU meter option when using Roon shows a message "this function is not available". It's good knowing that HiFi Rose has the ability to do a software update as easy as my Tesla.

I'm running Roon with my 150B and the VU meters work just dandy. The McIntosh style meters are cool.

That's unusual since Apple only streams in lossless (and hi-res) afaik.

Pretty sure the "base" rate is 256k AAC, with "upgrades" up to 24/192 (although I don't know how many albums are available at 24/192). I don't subscribe so I may have some details wrong (I get solicitations to join 1-2x/wk).

Pretty sure the "base" rate is 256k AAC, with "upgrades" up to 24/192 (although I don't know how many albums are available at 24/192). I don't subscribe so I may have some details wrong (I get solicitations to join 1-2x/wk).

I get Apple Music free with my mobile phone plan so I'm technically a "subscriber" and it seems that lossless (and hi-res) is free to subscribers but I guess non-subscribers receive 256k AAC as you pointed out.

Has anyone used the Rose RSA780 CD player / ripper with the RS150? I'm considering the RS150 and the low cost of the RSA780 may sway me if its sound quality is up to scratch. Thanks. Peter

Has anyone used the Rose RSA780 CD player / ripper with the RS150? I'm considering the RS150 and the low cost of the RSA780 may sway me if its sound quality is up to scratch. Thanks. Peter

We have. It’s excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have. It’s excellent.

Thanks Mike. I'm way outside your catchment area unfortunately or I'd visit. It's a long treck from Portsmouth, UK!

I want to improve my electronis (from the NAD M33) and have in mind the RS150 and a power (or more likely integrated) amp around the $6K range. Thinking of Hegel H390 or perhaps H590, though the latter seems over kill with Avantgarde Duo XDs. Peter

Thanks Mike. I'm way outside your catchment area unfortunately or I'd visit. It's a long treck from Portsmouth, UK!

I want to improve my electronis (from the NAD M33) and have in mind the RS150 and a power (or more likely integrated) amp around the $6K range. Thinking of Hegel H390 or perhaps H590, though the latter seems over kill with Avantgarde Duo XDs. Peter

I actually used an Apple Mac external CD drive I had laying around to rip the CD's onto my Rose 150B.

As I have been pondering a change to my digital stuff, this HI FiRose 150 B has caught my attention. Interesting one box solution to a streamer/media player and CD player (with a small simple add-on).
I wonder how the sound quality would compare to my present Bryston BDP 3 player and BDA 3 DAC.
I know it's a long shot but might anyone have an idea or guess?

Thanks,

John

As I have been pondering a change to my digital stuff, this HI FiRose 150 B has caught my attention. Interesting one box solution to a streamer/media player and CD player (with a small simple add-on).
I wonder how the sound quality would compare to my present Bryston BDP 3 player and BDA 3 DAC.
I know it's a long shot but might anyone have an idea or guess?

Thanks,

John

The combination of RS150 and its compact USB-connected CD drive is indeed an attractive combination as it can act as CD Player, CD Ripper, HD Music Store, Streamer, DAC and Preamp. It can also directly access Youtube files and strip out ads and send the video content to a connected TV. This is surely better than using a PC to access Youtube files and send audio to a hi-fi system - complete with all those annoying ads!

I can't help you with comarison to Bryston, but the dealer who demo'd the RS150 suggested that, from a sound quality viewpoint, the Auralic Altair G2.1 may be a better bet, though of course it offers far fewer features.

My own major criticism of the Rose is it's poor control app. I use BluOS to control my NAD M33 on PC, iPad or Android (also available on Kindle, Mac and the likes of Alexa) and it's very nearly as comprehensive as Roon. I suspect the most Rose owners would find they need to cough up for Roon's hardware and subscription requirements. So, I'm sticking with my exceptionally good M33 until I find something that genuinely offers better SQ and matches its BluOS app capabilities.

I hope this helps. Peter

The combination of RS150 and its compact USB-connected CD drive is indeed an attractive combination as it can act as CD Player, CD Ripper, HD Music Store, Streamer, DAC and Preamp. It can also directly access Youtube files and strip out ads and send the video content to a connected TV. This is surely better than using a PC to access Youtube files and send audio to a hi-fi system - complete with all those annoying ads!

I can't help you with comarison to Bryston, but the dealer who demo'd the RS150 suggested that, from a sound quality viewpoint, the Auralic Altair G2.1 may be a better bet, though of course it offers far fewer features.

My own major criticism of the Rose is it's poor control app. I use BluOS to control my NAD M33 on PC, iPad or Android (also available on Kindle, Mac and the likes of Alexa) and it's very nearly as comprehensive as Roon. I suspect the most Rose owners would find they need to cough up for Roon's hardware and subscription requirements. So, I'm sticking with my exceptionally good M33 until I find something that genuinely offers better SQ and matches its BluOS app capabilities.

I hope this helps. Peter

I have never used the 150B control app as I long ago coughed up the money for a Roon Nucleus+ and a Roon subscription (not to mention a Quobuz subscription). The HiFi Rose 150B is a screaming bargain in the world of high-end audio. It's built like a tank (machined from a solid billet of aluminum), it's well designed and engineered, and it has a built in linear power supply. Oh, and it also has one of the sexiest displays in all of audio DACdom. None of that would matter if it didn't sound great, but it does sound great IMO.

Peter & MEP-

Thank you for your responses. They certainly gave me additional perspective.
Apparently, the 150b does a lot of stuff quite well in some pretty well healed systems.

My primary interest is listening to CD's, ripped CD's and Qobuz.

So, as the "research" continues, again, I say THANKS!

John

Peter & MEP-

Thank you for your responses. They certainly gave me additional perspective.
Apparently, the 150b does a lot of stuff quite well in some pretty well healed systems.

My primary interest is listening to CD's, ripped CD's and Qobuz.

So, as the "research" continues, again, I say THANKS!

John

John - Well, here's a possible alternative, as there are very few devices that offer what you want in one box - the NAD M50.2.

I bought this some while back as it was one of 2 single boxes that would simply PLAY a CD, or RIP it onto twin 2 TB hard drives and offer a full-fledged streamer with the best control app out there, apart from the marginally more comprehensive Roon. The latter adds hardware and a subscription that's not required with the BluOS app. Particularly good is that BluOS works on 5 platforms (including Kindle if you have one of these currently being used as a paperweight) and you can even shout at it if you have an Alexa in the house - perish the thought!

The M50.2 doesn't have a DAC, but I guess you already have one. It offers AES/EBU, coax and optical Out and a single analogue In that it digitises in addition to coax and optical In. There a front and rear panel socket for USB sticks. The twin HDs offer some degree of security as they both hold all your music files. Ripping is straight-forward, though its reporting of rip results is not a good as my previous (though nowhere near os competent) RipNAS

The front panel touch screen display shows what you're listening to (from Library or streaming service) and you can even squirt this artwork onto your TV screen via HDMI (non-ARC).

When I bought it, there was only one alternative that optionally played or ripped a CD - the French Metronome at 3 times the price.

There's only one thing I have against the M50.2. It comes with no User Guide and the online guide offers little more than labels for the front and back panel sockets, etc. It's been out long enough that you're likely to find good used ones, possibly with a thousand or so albums on its hard drives. Easy to ditch them - or enjoy the extra free music!

M50.2 - NAD Electronics

PS - After my Rose RS150 demo, I've somewhat lost my enthusiasm as the control app is dire and complex and it worries me that there are so many listed on the used market sites. It really does need Roon to work efficiently which the NAD doesn't. If you aready have DAC and amp, then the M50.2 is worth a good look.

Peter-

Thank you for the details on the NAD. It is certainly an interesting product.
Although my dealer of choice does not carry NAD, I will keep not in mind.

Enjoy the Sounds,

John

Back