Have tubes saved my TADs ? ...

joeinid

Super Moderator
I am not sure if that's proper English, but these babies are a whole different animal with some glorious tube gear. It struck me again last night as I was listening. This time, the EAR 868 tube preamp was hooked up with the CJ ART amps and my EAR Acute 3 tube cd player/DAC and I am laying there smiling, thinking to myself - What's going on? I was ready to push them out the window a few weeks ago, but now I am enjoying the heck out of them. One thing that is noticeable since listening to Raidho speakers is the sound stage. Raidho is big, huge, deep, wide, tall, high, low, left, right, almost behind you and all over the room but oh so specific. It's just incredible. The TADs sound stage is there in front of me, sort of oval shaped and very pinpoint specific. There is depth and it can be very wide left to right, it does not feel as high or low. It's not wrong, but different. I don't feel like anything is missing with the TADs. Especially with tubes on them, you get a a wonderful naturalness in voices. I am not sure if this makes sense, but tubes bring out the best in my TADs. I will try and update this with more descriptions of what I hear but it can be difficult to put this into words. One thing I would like from the TADs is that slightly more forgiving (read musical) nature that I get from my Sonus Faber Evos. EVERYTHING sound great on the Evos at the expense of being a little too boring (not really, I am just not sure how to say it). A little more SF Evo in the TADs and I am done!!!!!

I will be swapping out the TADs for the Studio2's and put down a few words (mainly for Mark) but the Studio2 sound stage is pretty big. More to follow with the Revels in a few days.

Last edited:
Joe, Can't wait to hear all these combos. What great choices!

My Ayre VX-5 is coming today.

Bruce

Joe, Can't wait to hear all these combos. What great choices!

My Ayre VX-5 is coming today.

Bruce

Awesome !

I want your opinion. Just to make sure I am not delirious. Hope you can make it this Saturday to see Bob @ Rhapsody!

Awesome !

I want your opinion. Just to make sure I am not delirious. Hope you can make it this Saturday to see Bob @ Rhapsody!

So looking forward....but, even if we agree.....there is always the possibility that we are both delirious. :bonkers:

One thing I would like from the TADs is that slightly more forgiving (read musical) nature that I get from my Sonus Faber Evos. EVERYTHING sound great on the Evos at the expense of being a little too boring (not really, I am just not sure how to say it). A little more SF Evo in the TADs and I am done!!!!!

That's Magico S series IMO.

So looking forward....but, even if we agree.....there is always the possibility that we are both delirious. :bonkers:

Just like misery love company, delirious loves company too. It's not fun alone :)

I am not sure if that's proper English, but these babies are a whole different animal with some glorious tube gear. It struck me again last night as I was listening. This time, the EAR 868 tube preamp was hooked up with the CJ ART amps and my EAR Acute 3 tube cd player/DAC and I am laying there smiling, thinking to myself - What's going on? I was ready to push them out the window a few weeks ago, but now I am enjoying the heck out of them. One thing that is noticeable since listening to Raidho speakers is the sound stage. Raidho is big, huge, deep, wide, tall, high, low, left, right, almost behind you and all over the room but oh so specific. It's just incredible. The TADs sound stage is there in front of me, sort of oval shaped and very pinpoint specific. There is depth and it can be very wide left to right, it does not feel as high or low. It's not wrong, but different. I don't feel like anything is missing with the TADs. Especially with tubes on them, you get a a wonderful naturalness in voices. I am not sure if this makes sense, but tubes bring out the best in my TADs. I will try and update this with more descriptions of what I hear but it can be difficult to put this into words. One thing I would like from the TADs is that slightly more forgiving (read musical) nature that I get from my Sonus Faber Evos. EVERYTHING sound great on the Evos at the expense of being a little too boring (not really, I am just not sure how to say it). A little more SF Evo in the TADs and I am done!!!!!

I will be swapping out the TADs for the Studio2's and put down a few words (mainly for Mark) but the Studio2 sound stage is pretty big. More to follow with the Revels in a few days.

You better get the Depends back out, you're about to rediscover nirvana :disbelief:

I'm so happy for you Joe!!!!

Whether you keep the TADs or not, it's wonderful to feel like they didn't beat you in your quest for great sound.

Sounds like tubes are what your ears love and even tho you have liked SS, it's the tubes that keep you tapping your toes. Maybe other things too but I'm going to leave it at toes. :)

Congrats!!!!!!!

Tubes Rule, Transistors Drool. howz that for a "contribution" to this thread? :disbelief:

I'm like the fat guy who went on a diet yesterday and today is telling everyone today what to eat and not eat. :peace:

Joe, The Tads are great speakers, KEEP THEM !!!!

They are and we'll see.

I'm so happy for you Joe!!!!

Whether you keep the TADs or not, it's wonderful to feel like they didn't beat you in your quest for great sound.

Sounds like tubes are what your ears love and even tho you have liked SS, it's the tubes that keep you tapping your toes. Maybe other things too but I'm going to leave it at toes. :)

Congrats!!!!!!!

Ha!

Thanks Jock! Too funny. I can find pleasure in anything :)

Tubes Rule, Transistors Drool. howz that for a "contribution" to this thread? :disbelief:

I'm like the fat guy who went on a diet yesterday and today is telling everyone today what to eat and not eat. :peace:

Ray,

Your contributions are priceless. Thank you. But you are right! 100%

Throw a quality Tube Dac on that setup and you are golden!!!

Right now I feel DSD128 is the new Black...Make mine with tubes please....LoL

You're absolutely correct Joe, that's not proper english! :P Now lets get to the bottom of what the title really means...:skeptical:

You're absolutely correct Joe, that's not proper english! :P Now lets get to the bottom of what the title really means...:skeptical:

Ha!

We will have to talk about that ..... I am interested in hearing the Raidhos again and the Sound Kaos Wave 40 for the first time. That will be interesting!

That's a lot of tubes: amp, preamp and dac to save your TAD'S. I bet an MSB analog dac would do the same.:peace:

Back