Gato Audio

Hello everyone - finally registered & thought I'd jump in here, as I've had a DIA-250 since May 2014.

Mate - did you get a replacement? What was the outcome?

I guess I was a fairly early adopter in the States, and maybe because of that there were couple of hiccups with the amp. Michael Kelly at Aerial Acoustics (the US distributor) was very quick to respond and solve the issues. About seven months in, the amp produced no sound. So Aerial replaced it. About ten months after that the display started behaving strangely, with some of the LED dots being dimmer than others. Gato had designed a new display to solve that issue, so I returned the amp again and got a new display. Everything has been fine since.

I had been very interested in the newer class D technologies, and was lusting after the Rowland Continuum S2, but when I found out Gato was using the same Pascal module as Rowland for half the price, I went for it. I'm a sucker for design & aesthetics so it's a good fit that way too.

It makes me wonder how much better the new "S" version is?

Hi Mrppv
I got the first "S" model Gato Audio made. I'm not sure how much better it is, but according to their website, its "More details, better micro dynamics and more "air" around the performing musicians."
My DIA 250S is around ½ year old now, and works flawlessly, and it sounds fantastic with my small Raidho's.

I can understand you view on the Rowland Continuum S2. Another amp thats using the Pascal module (heavily modified like Gato's)is the Aavik U300.
I heard the 30000$ Aavik U300 amp from Raidho at an Ansuz demo in a local shop. The speakers were Raidho x-1 and x-3's and a full loom of Ansuz stuff. Cables, Sparkz, Darkz etc.
I own the X-1. So when i came home, i found the same tunes on Tidal (we got a playlist) used for the demo. I know my audiophile memory is short, and it was a demo, but i didn't think the Aavik sounded better than my Gato Audio DIA-250S. That said, i'm sure if i had the Aavik at home for a direct comparison with the Gato, the Aavik would be the best. (i certainly hope so!)

I think the Gato is priced right. You do get some hardware for your money. But the Aavik at 30000$ ? They are practically the same. Same Pascal board, a dac, remote etc. You could buy 3 small cars in Denmark for that kind of money, and cars are very expensive in Denmark! I'm not sure why they price the Aavik so high. 7-800% more expensive than the Gato Audio!
Probably because they can...

But i guess its the law of diminishing returns. Those last few % costs A LOT.

Bo

Thanks for the welcomes...

Jaws - have not seen/heard any Aavik products in person but they look interesting. And yes, as we all know, the pricing of audio gear can seem illogical; as it is with any luxury item or product that appeals to the senses. I too think the Gato is priced fairly. Someday I would like to hear an Ncore based amp for comparison to Pascal. I'm curious about the stuff that Nord is doing… Gato has them beat on style, though.

Wonder if the "S" improvements factor more in the pre-amp, or power amp, or DAC sections. I'm not using the DAC in my DIA-250.

Hello everyone - finally registered & thought I'd jump in here, as I've had a DIA-250 since May 2014.

Mate - did you get a replacement? What was the outcome?
Hello! Everything is still in process... I am confident in them that everything will work out in the end.

Hello
I am new to the the Forums, situated in Germany. I had a Gato Dia 250. Although I miss the looks and elegance of the Gato, I am glad the Amp is gone. The first generation Class D Gatos have a very special high resolution sound. I read the new Modells (S) have much improved. I listend to a Ice Powered Class D Amp and enjoyed the sound much more: less resolution, less stress (heights).
In most class D Amps, as I understood, the audio signal is "transported" by a high frequency wave...which made listening to music with the Gato impossible for me. I chatted with Srajan from the mentioned 6moons online magazine and he confirmed that some people - like me - are sensitive for this wave and frequency. I would love to go class D (Devialet?) but learned my lesson.

Yes, thank you Sisko, you have just helped me with something important in my life.

Yes, resurrecting this thread! LOL ;)

I owed both the AMP-150 and the DIA-400 both great sounding and look like pieces of art, sound quality on par with some very decent equipment I have owned in the past. But I ended up keeping a Luxman 509x I was auditioning at the same time.. I wish they made the 150 with the nice digital display, then I might have kept one of my units. LOL But, the 400 was one of the better Digital Amps I never heard besides Aavik. IMG_4146.jpeg

Back