Ethernet switch test

No worries, Michael, just wanted to mention not to overlook the impact of vibration on clocks for digital "audio" devices. Cheers.

No - I appreciate you mentioning it! I didn't realize it was a "thing" so I learned something new which I appreciate.

I've got four more switches (one being a high end switch) on the way to try as well. The high end one was sent via Mail from overseas instead of DHL so it could be 2024 before it arrives. LOL

No - I appreciate you mentioning it! I didn't realize it was a "thing" so I learned something new which I appreciate.

I've got four more switches (one being a high end switch) on the way to try as well. The high end one was sent via Mail from overseas instead of DHL so it could be 2024 before it arrives. LOL

It's high-end audio, so everything is a "thing"....:bonkers: 🤣

LOL. Very, very true.

After I finish the switch tests I'm going to study how the phases of the Moon affect the streaming quality of my Qobuz. ;)

The phases of the Moon may not have an effect, but the temperature of the room does. My system sounds best between 68-72°F.

The phases of the Moon may not have an effect, but the temperature of the room does. My system sounds best between 68-72°F.

Out of curiosity, I had previously recorded Time, Temperature, Humidity and the Barometric Pressure of listening sessions.
I discovered the variable that was most responsible for my system "sounding good" during any particular listening session was barometric pressure.
Temperature was more or less (1 or 2 degrees) constant so cannot coment on how wider variations would effect the presentation.

Out of curiosity, I had previously recorded Time, Temperature, Humidity and the Barometric Pressure of listening sessions.
I discovered the variable that was most responsible for my system "sounding good" during any particular listening session was barometric pressure.
Temperature was more or less (1 or 2 degrees) constant so cannot coment on how wider variations would effect the presentation.

That's interesting. I can totally believe that atmospheric conditions will affect how sound is transmitted.

Yes, of course, because barometric pressure is a measure of air density. And the reason temperature plays a role is because there is linear relationship between barometric pressure and temperature. This gets us back to the Ideal Gas Law, PV=nRT.

As I live in the SF Bay Area near sea level, the single factor that impacts my room most consistently is temperature. Changes in barometric pressure from the weather can play a role if the weather changes enough, but as it almost never rains in California anymore and given my room is always the same volume (V), day to day, temperature (the T part of the equation above) is the single factor that influences my room most consistently.

Dont'cha just love...science? ;)

Yes, of course, because barometric pressure is a measure of air density. And the reason temperature plays a role is because there is linear relationship between barometric pressure and temperature. This gets us back to the Ideal Gas Law, PV=nRT.

As I live in the SF Bay Area near sea level, the single factor that impacts my room most consistently is temperature. Changes in barometric pressure from the weather can play a role if the weather changes enough, but as it almost never rains in California anymore and given my room is always the same volume (V), day to day, temperature (the T part of the equation above) is the single factor that influences my room most consistently.

Dont'cha just love...science? ;)

assuming your listening room is not sealed (ie: air tight), the amount of ideal gas (n) will never be constant as air is free to move in and out of the room so as to equalize pressure ...hence, the ideal gas law would not hold in audio listening room applications.

:P :)

assuming your listening room is not sealed (ie: air tight), the amount of ideal gas (n) will never be constant as air is free to move in and out of the room so as to equalize pressure ...hence, the ideal gas law would not hold in audio listening room applications.

:P :)

Respectfully, the operative point is that, in my room here in the Bay Area, it's temperature that has the notable impact in how my room sounds.

Burning in 5 new switches.

These are mid-priced mass-market (~$200) vs. more entry level (~$45).

Intro video was posted yesterday with beginning of the test results vid to be posted in the next couple of days.

IMG_1504.JPG

I just saw the intro video and I'm looking forward to the comparisons.

Please refresh my memory - will you be tesing the Gigafoil v4 INLINE?

I just saw the intro video and I'm looking forward to the comparisons.

Please refresh my memory - will you be tesing the Gigafoil v4 INLINE?

Thanks for watching!

Yes. I have a high end ($2K) switch on the way as well that will be part of the testing. It's actually a quad switch that has FOUR switches in one custom chassis with a LPS as stock.

I'm first going to find the best combo of entry level / mid level mass market switches with and without upgraded power supplies. So far I've found some really interesting results on these.

Then I'm going to see how they work with a high end switch in the chain and see what the winning mix is.

Then once I find the winning combo of both versions I'm going to add the GigaFoil to see what differences - if any - it imparts.

I figure there will be at least 3-4 more vids in the series as I am trying to keep them shorter (like about 10-15 minutes) than one really super long one.

Thanks for watching!

Yes. I have a high end ($2K) switch on the way as well that will be part of the testing. It's actually a quad switch that has FOUR switches in one custom chassis with a LPS as stock.

I'm first going to find the best combo of entry level / mid level mass market switches with and without upgraded power supplies. So far I've found some really interesting results on these.

Then I'm going to see how they work with a high end switch in the chain and see what the winning mix is.

Then once I find the winning combo of both versions I'm going to add the GigaFoil to see what differences - if any - it imparts.

I figure there will be at least 3-4 more vids in the series as I am trying to keep them shorter (like about 10-15 minutes) than one really super long one.

Also wanted to add we will be testing BJC cable ($11), SOtM cable ($700), Soblon cable, and an SOtM ethernet filter ($400).

I also went one step further and tested the filter next to the switch both on the wall side and on the streamer side and it DID make a difference!

It's crazy what makes differences in this area.

And yes, I did find a way to mention Bose in my video. LOL

Burning in 5 new switches.

These are mid-priced mass-market (~$200) vs. more entry level (~$45).

Intro video was posted yesterday with beginning of the test results vid to be posted in the next couple of days.

View attachment 31892

Just be mindful, Michael, that if those switches are powered by SMPS, they will be putting high-source leakage impedance current into the Ethernet cables, which has an audible effect.

Just be mindful, Michael, that if those switches are powered by SMPS, they will be putting high-source leakage impedance current into the Ethernet cables, which has an audible effect.

Good point, Puma. I'll be curious to see what level of LPS's, if any, will be used.

Good point, Puma. I'll be curious to see what level of LPS's, if any, will be used.

Puma's point is well taken.

Interesting sneak peak on some results so far on the entry level mass-market switches:

I tried the three major brands (Two different Cisco switches refused to connect to my router signal so they will not be in this test).

Of the three brands I also tried some that were PoE and some without. Best results was a mixture of them (details to follow in vids).

There is also a sound difference between 5 port and 8 port units of the same model/brand.

There is also a sound difference on WHERE you plug in the ethernet cables on the switches.

Also one of the brands with the factory PS KICKED THE BUTT of the other two that had an upgraded LPS on them. It was really surprising.

The reason I ventured into the mid-range was for exactly what Puma Cat mentioned - I wanted to see if there is any better noise rejection in the stock form with the higher priced units in larger form factor.

Both the SOtM filter itself and the SOtM cable (which has a filter on it) is designed to suppress noise. I already know the results and will share them soon as to whether they do or don't and what the sound difference it.

Back