Esoteric N-01

I did send @essrand a PM, I didn't get any system generated message that the PM didn't get through.

I think the review is rubbish. I mean, just read the first paragraph of the conclusion on page 3. Utter gibberish.

I do however pay attention to the JA measurements in these reviews, and his findings of "Esoteric N-01 offers respectable measured performance" is slightly underwhelming for what I hear in my N-01, which is absolutely stunning sonically for everything that I throw at it (however I'm using an external master clock and Halcro dm-8 pre-amp).

And as for the reviewer waffling on about the freezing issue, and after blurbing all that out he ends up saying the problem has been fixed in software, I mean WTF??? Sure, onus on Esoteric to provide a functional review sample with current software, but to expend all those column inches to talk about a non-issue that doesn't exist any more is pedantic and completely needless. And on that point, I've owned my N-01 for almost a year and it has been flawless in operation, not a single instance of flaky behavior.

I think X1 has only been out for a short while. It might take a little longer for more people to get their ears on it, let alone compare to anything else.

Hopefully someone might have some thoughts on the comparison.

You are very welcome. Give it a little time, I’m sure you’ll get some answers.

I just worked out I can stream Spotify to my N-01 without needing a premium subscription. Airplay from iPad Spotify iOS App works great! And it sounds great too! I can't Airplay from a MacBook Air to N-01, but the MacBook can control the iPad running the Spotify App...

On your MacBook Air, move the cursor/mouse up to the volume icon at the top of the screen (overall computer volume) and click on it and see if the N-01 is in the list of devices that appear underneath.
At some point in the past, Apple allowed you to send audio to some outside devices. Other devices show up when I click on the volume setting on my 2013 MacBook Pro.
You may yet be able to do it from your MacBook Air.

Yes, the N-01 does appear as an audio output device on the MacBook Air. But when I select N-01 from the drop-down list the input source on the N-01 changes to network.

It works on the MacBook differently to how it works on the iPad. I can have Spotify running on iPad and Airplay it directly to N-01. On the MacBook the Airplay icon at the top of the screen does not route to the N-01. Instead you need to open SystemPreferences>Sound and choose N-01 as the output device.

There is a new firmware download 11.1b available for N-01.

Something got broken somewhere because I can't play Tidal to the N-01 from the Soundstream App. I can play non-Tidal stuff via Soundstream, so the App is connecting to the device.

Again I tested it to be working on N-05.

Log out Tidal from all other devices.

Reenter your login info to the app when controlling N-01.

I can navigate the Tidal interface within Soundstream App, put I can't play anything. When I go to play a song in Tidal there is no playback indication at all in the GUI, and no sound from N-01. Streaming from local shares does work in Soundstream.

Did you see that latest Esoteric product announcements at Tokyo show? New model P1X with new VRDS-ATLAS mechanism, new D1X mono-DACs.

Yeah, I predicted it was coming, but my local distributor swore black and blue that the next update was still a year away for P1 and D1. He recommended I buy P02X over P1. That was 2 days ago.

Back