Could you survive with streaming music only?

So that settles it completely for me. I see no advantage with physical media (at least the CD/SACD variety since I don't do vinyl anymore).

I came to the same conclusion as well.

However, I still listen to LPs from time to time (not for convenience or expecting better sound but because I am in the mood) and I also play multichannel SACD discs from time to time just I have not bothered ripping the two or three multichannel discs that I own.

I came to the same conclusion as well.

However, I still listen to LPs from time to time (not for convenience or expecting better sound but because I am in the mood) and I also play multichannel SACD discs from time to time just I have not bothered ripping the two or three multichannel discs that I own.
I get that. I would never suggest doing things differently than what brings one pleasure and enjoyment from the hobby. If it is vinyl and physical CD/SACD and even multi-channel stuff, so be it. For me it just stopped making sense buying and storing all the CDs and cleaning and taking care of LPs.

No way. I have too many live concerts that streaming services don't have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have tapes of live concerts.
You can digitize all of those tapes and then stream and never bother playing the tapes again (that’s what I did). Remember, you can stream from music services and from your own drives.

Sounds like you have tapes of live concerts.
You can digitize all of those tapes and then stream and never bother playing the tapes again (that’s what I did). Remember, you can stream from music services and from your own drives.

I have hundreds of Phish & Grateful Dead shows ripped from CDs or downloaded as official releases. Things like Dave's and Dicks Picks from the dead aren't on Tidal. Also the vast majority of the either bands side projects are no where on streaming.

Look for Jerry Garcia Band on Tidal. No shows at all.

I have hundreds of Phish & Grateful Dead shows ripped from CDs or downloaded as official releases. Things like Dave's and Dicks Picks from the dead aren't on Tidal. Also the vast majority of the either bands side projects are no where on streaming.

If your music has already been ripped or downloaded, then I think that the issue is more semantic.

Streaming means music that you play from a music service (Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc.) or from your Hardrives (ripped and/or downloaded). So you might already be streaming without you knowing it.

If your music has already been ripped or downloaded, then I think that the issue is more semantic.

Streaming means music that you play from a music service (Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc.) or from your Hardrives (ripped and/or downloaded). So you might already be streaming without you knowing it.

Think the Op said no music on hard drives/NAS. Which led me to that conclusion

This doesn’t have to be a strict internet only playback scenario.

I have a ton of cds that need ripping, but I’m just too lazy. Having multiple services is just too darn convenient.

I will say it’s nice to have a CD player for the time being especially for the rare occasions my internet goes out late at night.

I still believe playing cds direct sound better than my ripped ones. I have not done extensive comparisons but the cd seems to flow better among other enhancements.

Playing ripped CD, or downloaded high-res, files from a hard drive is not streaming.

Perhaps by today’s standards some folks don’t consider that as streaming. But 15 years ago (squeezebox time), playing ripped music was called streaming (at that time downloads, Tidal or Qobuz did not exist).

Phishfan, Spotify has around 38 Dick’s Picks albums. I have a great turntable and CD player but haven’t played either of them in two years! Exclusively Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify (kids like Spotify).

Playing ripped CD, or downloaded high-res, files from a hard drive is not streaming.

If you look at what audio gear are called streamers, it’s devices which allow playback of music/ video from an indirectly or remotely (wirelessly or per wire) connected media source. Whether the media comes from a local or Internet server is not essential.

Streaming is the technical process of playing back remotely produced or stored real-time media (typically video, audio, voice/ video call).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you look at what audio gear are called streamers, it’s devices which allow playback of music/ video from an indirectly or remotely (wirelessly or per wire) connected media source. Whether the media comes from a local or Internet server is not essential.

Streaming is the technical process of playing back remotely produced or stored real-time media (typically video, audio, voice/ video call).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we go back to Joe's question and it states ""No physical media or NAS at all? "

If we go back to Joe's question and it states ""No physical media or NAS at all? "

NAS = Network Attached Storage

The OP specifically excluded NAS but no other types of storage. Many streamers come with their own storage (like a hard drive or SSD); those types of storage are not the same as a NAS.

NAS = Network Attached Storage

The OP specifically excluded NAS but no other types of storage. Many streamers come with their own storage (like a hard drive or SSD); those types of storage are not the same as a NAS.

I Know what a NAS is, I own one, and not sure the meaning of your post. Joe didn't go to the nitty-gritty. It was general, but others want to take it to the nitty-grity. Sure some streamers have their own storage, so as far as I'm concerned with Joe's intent, that means NO storage at all of any kind in any device including a streamer. .

Yes, Chris, that was my intent. I know some have attained an extremely high level of digital playback but the total system is involved.

Computer or server, no or minimal storage, hooked up directly to a nice dac or cd player with digital inputs - done. No messing around, no super fancy stuff.

I could. I don’t mean to start a war.

I have the nas, etc. but realize it’ll probably take a lot more to reach the ultimate network music performance most here have.

I was thinking out loud about what level could be “enough”.

There’s so much choice between Qobuz, Tidal, RadioParadise, Deezer, RadioTunes and the other remaining couple of services that there’s not enough time to listen to everything.

At this point, I can get the same emotional response from those services as I can from stored music.

I realize vinyl is really on another level but I don’t have the patience or discipline to master it.

Last edited:
Yes, Chris, that was my intent. I know some have attained an extremely high level of digital playback but the total system is involved.

Computer or server, no or minimal storage, hooked up directly to a nice dac or cd player with digital inputs - done. No messing around, no super fancy stuff.

I could. I don’t mean to start a war.

I have the nas, etc. but realize it’ll probably take a lot more to reach the ultimate network music performance most here have.

I was thinking out loud about what level could be “enough”.

There’s so much choice between Qobuz, Tidal, RadioParadise, Deezer, RadioTunes and the other remaining couple of services that there’s not enough time to listen to everything.

At this point, I can get the same emotional response from those services as I can from stored music.

I realize vinyl is really on another level but I don’t have the patience or discipline to master it.

Spot on Joe.

The wife, seems to enjoy the simple task of streaming, she accesses the Lumin with the ipad gets her album playing via Tidal or Qobuz, and life is good. :D.

Survive? My involvement and satisfaction with music is flourishing. As one of many projects on Roon, I have organized top 50 jazz saxophone players and have access to all their albums instantly. A "collection" like that would cost more than small fortune. Best part... No cleaning required. :D

Spot on Joe.

The wife, seems to enjoy the simple task of streaming, she accesses the Lumin with the ipad gets her album playing via Tidal or Qobuz, and life is good. :D.

I might need to replace my Lumin U1 or mini. Had both and both are awesome. When I finally end up with my own esoteric, it’ll be a great addition.

Life is absolutely good.

Back