Cataract Surgery

Yea that was my confusion. I knew the Rods or Cones made the color. When you said colors were vivid I got wondering how a lenses would help. Makes sense the colors are popping. Glad it went off without a hitch for you.

By the way, did you see the 60 minutes where they do these operation in Mongolia or some place for $8 for the local people. Grind the lenses on site. Its seems to be a pretty simple operation now.

Rex, I could always see, blue, yellow oranges, my color blindness is a very light red and light brown/green when they are close together. Nothing will fix that but I have a better chance of seeing those color by themselves now as they now are more vivid. .That cataract is basically a yellowish, brownish creamy color that impacts the colors and detail you see. The doc told me its like looking through a par of brownish tinted sunglasses. Even during the surgery after the laser did its work and since you are awake and told to stare at the center of this laser, I could tell when the cataract was broken up things got clear. OF course your eye is held wide open with some medieval contraption, but after the doc using some little sucker removed the pieces of the old cataract and install and did a unfold of the new lens, I could see the clock in the room and white is really white..

A little video kinda shows the procedure, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Txm5Bf89E

I saw that 60 min special. It was part of the $100million Himalayan Cataract Project,. In the country of Burma.

Rex not sure I would call it simple, nothing involving any kind of surgery is simple. Thanks to the medical talents of the surgeons, the procedures are routine as long as the patient is in good health. Risks ,
  • Inflammation
  • Infection
  • Bleeding
  • Swelling
  • Drooping eyelid
  • Dislocation of artificial lens
  • Retinal detachment
  • Glaucoma
  • Secondary cataract
  • Loss of vision

My first eye is scheduled for Thursday Dec. 20. I scheduled it then because there is not much speedskating ice over the holidays, so I won't miss much practice. But tracking down the special eye drops was a pain. The prescription never made it to the pharmacy. And I was waiting for them to call which wasn't going to happen.

My first eye is scheduled for Thursday Dec. 20. I scheduled it then because there is not much speedskating ice over the holidays, so I won't miss much practice. But tracking down the special eye drops was a pain. The prescription never made it to the pharmacy. And I was waiting for them to call which wasn't going to happen.

Why did't you call your surgeon and have them follow up on your drop series.

Why didn't you call your surgeon and have them follow up on your drop series.
I have the eye drops now, so I'm good to go next week.

After I spoke to the surgeon (on other matters) I called the pharmacy Friday, but the person had left early because they had a blizzard on the way. Monday she was still shoving snow. She made it to work on Tuesday, then she reached the surgeon for the prescription. It arrived Thursday afternoon.

I stopped by the surgery center to drop of some information (rather than try to do it over the phone)(the center was only a mile out of my way). Anyway the staff were the nicest medical staff I have ever meet.

I have the eye drops now, so I'm good to go next week.

After I spoke to the surgeon (on other matters) I called the pharmacy Friday, but the person had left early because they had a blizzard on the way. Monday she was still shoving snow. She made it to work on Tuesday, then she reached the surgeon for the prescription. It arrived Thursday afternoon.

I stopped by the surgery center to drop of some information (rather than try to do it over the phone)(the center was only a mile out of my way). Anyway the staff were the nicest medical staff I have ever meet.

I start my drops ( Steroid, Anti-Inflammatory and Antibiotic) Monday for my left eye. And even after surgery you still use the drops for the operative eye until they are gone.

Speed, it's good you prepared. Do you have a naturopath or someone who prepped you. There is a small trying to grow industry that preps people for surgery. Tells you what to eat. Medication to have on hand. Preschedule follow up etc. Doctors and their teams do nothing to prepare a patient. From what I have seen.

I just counted them up. There are 150 scheduled eye drop applications over a 32 day period.

I have had two other types of surgery in the last four years, so I know the drill.

Speed, it's good you prepared. Do you have a naturopath or someone who prepped you. There is a small trying to grow industry that preps people for surgery. Tells you what to eat. Medication to have on hand. Preschedule follow up etc. Doctors and their teams do nothing to prepare a patient. From what I have seen.

Thats so incorrect. Not sure what backwoods doctors you see, but every doctor I've been to in the last 25 years, handles everything you said they didn't. If you want to discuss, please start another thread. Thanls

I just counted them up. There are 150 scheduled eye drop applications over a 32 day period.

I have had two other types of surgery in the last four years, so I know the drill.

Those little drops are $$$, just glad I got the insurance to assist. Oh and the little eye shield they will give you , is worth wearing for sleeping or if you are a person that subconsciously rubs their eyes.

Had my last post op appt yesterday. 20-20- both eyes, but will still need reading glasses for up close reading when I set down for a good book or to adjust my TT arm. So far very impressed with my surgeon and the laser process.

Glad to see you are doing well. My son-in-law is an opthalmologist at the VA in Los Angeles (so if you are a vet in LA he may well be doing your cataract surgery.) He also is an adjunct faculty member at UCLA and trains a lot of the opthalmology residents there including doing cataract surgery. He tells me that cataract surgery is pretty routine these days with very good results. With the demographics of vets, there will be more and more need for cataract surgery.

I think of a time when what an opthalmologist routinely does today would have been considered a miracle, restoring eyesight to the blind.

Larry

Great, glad all went well.

Had my last post op appt yesterday. 20-20- both eyes, but will still need reading glasses for up close reading when I set down for a good book or to adjust my TT arm. So far very impressed with my surgeon and the laser process.

Back