Boulder 866

essrand.
Have had the Boulder plugged in for almost a week now, using it mainly for streaming and TV so far. Just a couple of CD's .
My main impression is it has a bit more clarity compared to the E650. This can be a double edged sword in my opinion, tho. Poorly recorded music is even more obvious, voices in a harmony seem more separated, which while more "real" may not be as pleasant to listen to. I believe this is an issue as the equipment gets better in all of audio, tho. And it may be an indication of issues in other equipment ....time will tell as I listen more.

Great imaging, unquestionably.Possibly better than the Accuphase, but they both are excellent in this regard.Layers of sound, very subtle sounds on the recording are more obvious with this amp.
Not sure yet on the DAC section.....would like to listen to it with the Directstream as well, soon,. and see if I can hear any differences. Need to get a better ethernet wire in any event , and when I do will try do some serious listening.

Wondering if I should run this directly from the wall, or from my Denali?..Any advice appreciated from those who have much more knowledge about this than I ever will.

Not completely sold on the "no Remote"...a pain to have to enter the password into my phone to wake it, and think I'll order a cheap one to try.

Great dynamics for sure, seems to have more headroom than the E650...and my speakers are very efficient. I do like it loud at times, and this amp doesn't disappoint. Like the "sleep" mode as opposed to having to either leave the Accuphase on all the time, or powering it off manually.

Not what you need help decide, I'm sure...will add what I can as it breaks in . Definitely worth a demo if possibly. One of the problems with the lack of dealers now....if you live in a major market, you can hear these...otherwise it's risk.

maxdog923,

I have one of each of the cheap remotes recommended by Boulder. They both work great for on/off/volume/mute/source. But that is all I need because I don't stream (yet). Both remotes are connected via small USB nubs. I am not sure what they are called because they are the smallest USB devices I have ever seen.

The system I use them on is in my great room. One remote is at my listening chair and the other is on my kitchen counter so I can mute annoying commercials or adjust volume while doing KP. I prefer the rectangle shaped remote over the tapered one.

I highly recommend getting one. Not much of a cost considering the investment you have already made.

essrand.
Have had the Boulder plugged in for almost a week now, using it mainly for streaming and TV so far. Just a couple of CD's .
My main impression is it has a bit more clarity compared to the E650. This can be a double edged sword in my opinion, tho. Poorly recorded music is even more obvious, voices in a harmony seem more separated, which while more "real" may not be as pleasant to listen to. I believe this is an issue as the equipment gets better in all of audio, tho. And it may be an indication of issues in other equipment ....time will tell as I listen more.

Great imaging, unquestionably.Possibly better than the Accuphase, but they both are excellent in this regard.Layers of sound, very subtle sounds on the recording are more obvious with this amp.
Not sure yet on the DAC section.....would like to listen to it with the Directstream as well, soon,. and see if I can hear any differences. Need to get a better ethernet wire in any event , and when I do will try do some serious listening.

Wondering if I should run this directly from the wall, or from my Denali?..Any advice appreciated from those who have much more knowledge about this than I ever will.

Not completely sold on the "no Remote"...a pain to have to enter the password into my phone to wake it, and think I'll order a cheap one to try.

Great dynamics for sure, seems to have more headroom than the E650...and my speakers are very efficient. I do like it loud at times, and this amp doesn't disappoint. Like the "sleep" mode as opposed to having to either leave the Accuphase on all the time, or powering it off manually.

Not what you need help decide, I'm sure...will add what I can as it breaks in . Definitely worth a demo if possibly. One of the problems with the lack of dealers now....if you live in a major market, you can hear these...otherwise it's risk.

Enjoyed this! I drive past the Boulder headquarters on my way to work, but have never actively listened to their products or stopped by. Their 866 is very intriguing. I've had Accuphase, so your descriptions are interesting. I wish you could throw in a final comparison with an E-800 in your system!

essrand.

This was very useful, thanks for the post.

Guess at some point you will know which is the more "musical" amplifier and one you prefer listening for long periods.

I have heard the Accuphase E-650 in my system, it was very impressive, almost as engaging as my tube amp and in some genres of music far more involving.
Where I live, it's impossible to audition the 866 in my system, but the dealer is willing to ship over the Boulder 1100 series amplifier so I can get an idea of the Boulder sound signature. Not sure how close in sound signatures the 866 and the 1160 amp are though.

Also 866 is probably 50% more in price. 9500$ vs 14000$.

I guess it has to be a big jump up in sound, for me to go for it vs the Accuphase.

Enjoy the remotes from Amazon. Think about it. If Boulder made their own remotes they would weigh at least half a pound and require two hands.:lol:

I think Like he idea of a cheap aftermarket....at least it won't get all banged up and affect trade-in!!..And yea, it seems the moray spend, the heavier the remote..I know the Accuphase one is a solid piece!

essrand.

HI maxdog923,

Any further updates as your Boulder 866 is breaking in, or are you too lost in the music? :)

I don't agree "more real" is a double edged sword. If your experiencing fatigue then something is not set up correct.

I would not put that amp in a Denali. I would figure out what is wrong with your power if its having hum/buzz/loss of power plugged direct into rhe wall, or address room issues if that is the culprit..

And don't go buy a pile of $5k each cords. I doubt that will fix anything.

When you figure that out, real will be much better than whatever else you are hearing.

essrand, Honestly haven't had a lot of time to listen in the past few weeks, due to work getting busier, and I work a lot of evenings.
Will say that I'm pleased with what I'm hearing as far as dynamics, detail, and imaging. And I do need to do some room treatments , as the room is very sterile ....need to definitely treat it ...all speakers I've had here could benefit from some carpeting and some corner sound diffusers, I think...

As to the comment on "more real", I meant that as a commentary on some harmonies I've heard on music with singers who accompany the lead vocalist, and who's skills to messed to distract from the quality of the lead. Not every singer has that crystalline clarity of delivery as someone like an Alison Krause, and I'd rather listen to her voice, for example, that her dieting or being backed up by others. My preference...

I am not using the Denali with the amp....was just looking for advice one way or the other as to what might be best.

Also using my Directstream with the latest upgrade to see if it makes a difference, or I have a preference....still trying to decide.

Carl

My attempt at describing "Real" is it's just that. It sounds more like an actual instrument is in the room, or a person is speaking in the room. Natural. More emotion. Less Hifi or stereo ish. You know it when you get it right. Its kind of like Charlie Brown when Lucy explains his issues. THATS IT.

Don't get me wrong on the Denali. If I had one, I would try it both ways. You never know. But it will change the sound. I had one for a few days and I definitely heard it alter things. When you try it, let it run a couple days in, a couple days out, a couple days in. Live with it a little. See if your more engaged one way or another. See if you have the desire to turn it up and sit longer, or turn it down and walk away. Sometimes we try to hard to ascribe attributes to what we hear instead of letting our subconscious tell us what it feels.

What - No digital co-ax in? Seems a silly thing to leave out, but at least it offers AES, although some associated kit won't have an AES out, so users may have to resort to optical. No unbalanced analogue in either, so vinyl users with phono preamps will have to find one with an XLR out.

A little more design thought for maximum flexibility may have offered:

Digital - 2 x coax ins and 2 x USB in place of the 4 x USB

Analogue - 1 x XLR in and 2 x phono in instead of 3 x XLR

I'm sure it sounds great, but it rather restricts what can be connected to it.

My attempt at describing "Real" is it's just that. It sounds more like an actual instrument is in the room, or a person is speaking in the room. Natural. More emotion. Less Hifi or stereo ish. You know it when you get it right. Its kind of like Charlie Brown when Lucy explains his issues. THATS IT.

Don't get me wrong on the Denali. If I had one, I would try it both ways. You never know. But it will change the sound. I had one for a few days and I definitely heard it alter things. When you try it, let it run a couple days in, a couple days out, a couple days in. Live with it a little. See if your more engaged one way or another. See if you have the desire to turn it up and sit longer, or turn it down and walk away. Sometimes we try to hard to ascribe attributes to what we hear instead of letting our subconscious tell us what it feels.

I must agree...moved the speakers a foot more toward me last week, and a much better sound ....high end much smoother ,and sound is almost there....Amazing what a change it affected....

It will get easier to move them as you get closer to “locking in “ your setup, speaker movements will be down to 1/4 “ ...

:)

I must agree...moved the speakers a foot more toward me last week, and a much better sound ....high end much smoother ,and sound is almost there....Amazing what a change it affected....

Some guys on whatsbest told me to move mine out at one time. It made a really big impact. I went from about 36 inches to 48, then back to about 44 inches out. Then I was reading the Natural Sound thread and saw the speakers at a 45 degree angle. And on another youtube saw a guy tuning horns by turning them crossing to the listener. I tried that and it was a massive shift. Much more clear and impactful. I would not do as such with a conventional speaker. Only point is that speaker setup is really important. I have tape on my hardwood in a couple places to bring the speakers back to best listening positions. I have to shove them back to the wall when not in use as they are out so far they get in the field of view of the TV behind them.

Keep us up to date on the Boulder. And if you like it in or out of the Denali.

Some guys on whatsbest told me to move mine out at one time. It made a really big impact. I went from about 36 inches to 48, then back to about 44 inches out. Then I was reading the Natural Sound thread and saw the speakers at a 45 degree angle. And on another youtube saw a guy tuning horns by turning them crossing to the listener. I tried that and it was a massive shift. Much more clear and impactful. I would not do as such with a conventional speaker. Only point is that speaker setup is really important. I have tape on my hardwood in a couple places to bring the speakers back to best listening positions. I have to shove them back to the wall when not in use as they are out so far they get in the field of view of the TV behind them.

Keep us up to date on the Boulder. And if you like it in or out of the Denali.

Running it direct from the wall at present....As my speakers have powered woofers drawing power from The Denali, thought it might be too much of a draw all together. SR suggested I run the speakers from the Denali...when I retire and can spend the time screwing with this I'll try several combos. ))..Right now it's sounding much better than a few weeks ago....May have to slide the Accuphase back in and see what the difference is . Or if I can hear it!!...

For what it’s worth, the FAQ’s on the Boulder 866 web site recommend plugging directly into the wall:

● “Do I need or should I get a power conditioner with the 866?”
We do not recommend using power conditioners with our products. There have been times we have heard of power conditioners making our products perform worse or even creates operational issues. We feel it is best to go directly into a wall outlet.

Back