Axpona 2025......

Staircases are always empty ..!

I don’t know if you have ever been to that hotel but the staircases are tricky. Only 1 set allows you navigate most of the floors. The others are dead ends. We do try to start at the top and walk down.

Like others, my early foray into audio was building a system for the car. They were pretty sophisticated for the early '80s with Zapco modular amps, bi-amped with an elec xover, 2-way satellites/sub was the way to go. Designed my own passive crossovers w/ high-order Butterworth filters. Then a complete Audiomobile (active) system with Nak or Alpine head unit of course. then first in-dash CD player/tuner the Sony CDxr7, this must have been around '84. I don't think IASCA existed yet.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you have ever been to that hotel but the staircases are tricky. Only 1 set allows you navigate most of the floors. The others are dead ends. We do try to start at the top and walk down.
Sounds like a death trap in the case of a fire ..

Like others, my early foray into audio was building a system for the car. They were pretty sophisticated for the early '80s with Zapco modular amps, bi-amped with an elec xover, 2-way satellites/sub was the way to go. Designed my own passive crossovers w/ high-order Butterworth filters. Then a complete Audiomobile (active) system with Nak or Alpine head unit of course. then first in-dash CD player/tuner the Sony CDxr7, this must have been around '84. I don't think IASCA existed yet.

Zapco was good stuff. I've been out of car audio a long time I wonder how many of those high current American amp companies are still around? I talked our company into picking up Autotek. ZED built them and a few other brands. are competition had Rockford. Orion was going strong.

Right. those who are able prefer to use the steps opposed to waiting for the elevator. It's discouraging waiting for a long while to have the elevator open to find it already full. And navigating the steps is tricky. Everyone has been nice about it though, we'll meet someone coming up and they'll mention it's a dead end and vice versa.

I can deal with those things though, what does bother me is if I'm not able to enter a room because it's full. Sometimes we'll wait if not too bad. Sometimes we'll plan to come back but when that time comes it had better be something we really want to see to go back to a floor for one or two rooms.

There need to be more options for eating at the Renaissance. I don't like leaving once I get started. I would skip lunch personally but usually get out voted. The stomach wants what it wants, LOL

There are things that could, be better but I always love going.

Zapco was good stuff. I've been out of car audio a long time I wonder how many of those high current American amp companies are still around? I talked our company into picking up Autotek. ZED built them and a few other brands. are competition had Rockford. Orion was going strong.
Zapco was good Stuff as was Audiomobile and original Fosgate . The best back then had to be the original Nelson Pass Designed Soundstream amps , high biased class A, they were . Soundstream also had the best head unit /Preamp of the time IMO ..

Zapco was good Stuff as was Audiomobile and original Fosgate . The best back then had to be the original Nelson Pass Designed Soundstream amps , high biased class A, they were . Soundstream also had the best head unit /Preamp of the time IMO ..

best amps pass designed where the adcom amps, agree the SS amps very nice

Yeah, I forgot about Soundstream they were excellent. I didn't realize Pass had a hand in them. Another really good amp was Precision Power (PPI). I liked PPI better than most they sounded great throughout the frequency range.

Yeah, I forgot about Soundstream they were excellent. I didn't realize Pass had a hand in them. Another really good amp was Precision Power (PPI). I liked PPI better than most they sounded great throughout the frequency range.
I LOVED PPI back in my IASCA days.

The OEM car audio systems of yesteryear had pretty lousy sound which is why many owners did a fair amount of tweaking.
Today, several automakers offer fantastic premium sound systems which are tailored for specific models. The use active speakers in diverse surround configurations and make full use of DSP.
While I personally have not felt the need to tweak those systems, I wonder what could possibly is being offered that can substantially improve what is available.

The original SS amps were true high biased classA at 50 watts used in a tri-amped package was fantastic ..!

I preferred Linear to PP BtW ..!

Soundstream were good, built poorly on the inside couldnt really play loads under 2 ohms before shutting down. I toured the factory, they were close to me. By contrast, the Fosgate and Orion amps could play 1 ohm all day long. Linear Power was also a player, not at Zapco or Audiomobile's level, imo.

Last edited:
I knew Robert Zeff and the Pladsen bros well. I vistied their factory in Modesto in their heyday. They operated out of a barn that faced the road where American Graffiti was filmed. Robert was way ahead of his time, he would hardwire pre-outs out the back of a tapedeck into the first commercially produced in-dash auto stereo preamp called the PEQ with it's own linestage, and parametic eq--this was the late '70s!

Back