AudioQuest Niagra and Storm Power Cable Review

That seems to be the idea, GSOphile - to improve the Dragon and to worsen the Hurricane so that Firebird can sit right between the two... Luckily I have the older but 'thicker' Hurricanes!

Just talked to AudioQuest. This is the problem with the internet and people starting FALSE RUMORS. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. It's the same cables. You know what happened? A TYPO. EVERY SINGLE power cable - even the copper ones.

Unbelievable.

View attachment 25040View attachment 25041View attachment 25042View attachment 25043

I find AQ policy outrageous! They have indeed modified both the Hurricane and the Dragon...
These are print-screens from the 2018 and 2019 AQ pricelist. As you can see, the Hurricane become
bluer and with inferior AWG and the Dragon went from PSS/PSC+ (more AWG) to PSS (less AWG).
But you have to do some research in order to find out about this change...

WRONG!!!!!! See my post above. Stop spreading FALSE rumors without confirming the FACTS.

Mike, I've just posted print-screens of the AQ Official Pricelist! There's nothing wrong with that! If it's a typo, it's not mine.
Is it also a typo in the description of the Dragon?! C'mon!

P.S. The apologies, the excuses or the confirmation must come from AQ, not from me! It's their official pricelist, you know...

Mike, I've just posted print-screens of the AQ Official Pricelist! There's nothing wrong with that. If it's a typo, it's not mine.
Is it also a typo in the description of the Dragon?! C'mon!

P.S. The apologies, the excuses or the confirmation must come from AQ, not from me! It's their official pricelist, you know...

It’s a typo in ALL the storm power cables. I don’t know what axe you have to grind with AQ, but stuff like typos happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: AudioQuest should be updating the price book shortly to reflect the proper (corrected) gauge.

What about the content of copper and silver in the Dragon HC? In the 2018 it was PSS/PSC+ and in 2019 it's PSS... How do I know which one is which?

P.S. You should see in my signature that I'm a big fan of AQ! I've always been and I've had several of their cables. As a client though, I hate any lack of transparency. It's disrespectful for the customer...

What about the content of copper and silver in the Dragon HC? In the 2018 it was PSS/PSC+ and in 2019 it's PSS... How do I know which one is which?

P.S. You should see in my signature that I'm a big fan of AQ! I've always been and I've had several of their cables. As a client though, I hate any lack of transparency. It's disrespectful for the customer...

I will try to get you clarification on this.

So you're suggesting that prices, metal composition and AWG, were typos.....

Quite frankly, I was surprised that the Dragon wasn't advertised as PSS from the start and wondered if there was going to be a WEL or something like it above it.

But call it what it is - a change in marketing. Not a big deal.

Audioquest changed certain aspects of their cables, described them differently, and/or changed their prices over the years in the pricebooks, without changing the names and no one complained.

So you're suggesting that prices, metal composition and AWG, were typos.....

Quite frankly, I was surprised that the Dragon wasn't advertised as PSS from the start and wondered if there was going to be a WEL or something like it above it.

But call it what it is - a change in marketing. Not a big deal.

Audioquest changed certain aspects of their cables, described them differently, and/or changed their prices over the years in the pricebooks, without changing the names and no one complained.

Yup, if people want to believe some grand conspiracy theory, have at it. All I can do is ask the powers that be and report back. But I’ve been using cables from 2018 and 2019 and have not seen or heard any difference. The AQ price book is a bazillion pages. I’m not surprised there are typos.

It's AQ's error. In the case of the Hurricane HCs, it's understandable why Blue customers would be upset. AQ needs to correct their marketing material with apologies ASAP.

It's AQ's error. In the case of the Hurricane HCs, it's understandable why Blue customers would be upset. AQ needs to correct their marketing material with apologies ASAP.

I own the blue Hurricane HC. Please explain to me why I should be upset. The Hurricane HC was incorrectly listed as 12 AWG when it is actually 11 AWG, which is a thicker gauge wire. It is Solid Perfect Surface Copper +. What more could I want?

Ken

And I noted looking at the photos he posted that one is from the U.K. price book (note the Dragon does not even have the DBS on it in the U.K. book) and then he compare it to the US price book. Who knows why the difference? But not DBS in the old version? I bought the first Dragon’s that came out. All have DBS.

I own the blue Hurricane HC. Please explain to me why I should be upset. The Hurricane HC was incorrectly listed as 12 AWG when it is actually 11 AWG, which is a thicker gauge wire. It is Solid Perfect Surface Copper +. What more could I want?

Ken

I too own Blue Hurricane HCs. My statement was a about how a Blue Hurricane HC owner like me might feel after seeing the 2019 Blue specs and 'discovering' that his cables, instead of being 11 AWG as expected and bought, were 12 AWG due to a previously unpublished product change. This BEFORE Mike's timely investigation and explanation, which not everyone will see. Consequently AQ still needs to correct their specs soonest (and IMO owes an apology for a truly sloppy editing job).

I am affraid that change in Dragon material specification from PSS/PSC+ to full PSS is not only a typo.
You can see a full description here when only PSS is mentioned:

https://www.audioquest.com/ac-power/ac-power-cables/storm-series/dragon-source-eu

If Dragon would be still PSS/PSC+ what would be a difference with newly introduced Firebird PSS/PSC+?

if it is marketing only approach the Firebird should be called PSC+/PSS becouse is mostly copper and Dragon should be called PSS/PSC+ because it is mostly silver. Otherwise it is not transparent for a customer.

The Dragons are PSS, the Firebird is PSS/PSC+. AQ confirmed there was a typo in the price sheet.

There was never any copper in the Dragons. I have the first Dragons off the line, and some purchased about a month ago. ZERO difference visually, sonically, etc.

The Dragons are PSS, the Firebird is PSS/PSC+. AQ confirmed there was a typo in the price sheet.

There was never any copper in the Dragons. I have the first Dragons off the line, and some purchased about a month ago. ZERO difference visually, sonically, etc.

Sorry Mike, but you are misinformed.
In each Dragon positive and negative conductor there was always two wires PSS and one wire PSC+. In ground conductor there was all three wires from lesser grade copper.

Make a small effort and check under your Dragon plug. Just slip off outer shell.
If I am wrong I will eat my shoe.

The question is if NOW AQ changed Dragon to full PSS leaving all current customer with wrong cable specification or they still do not know what they sell.

I suppose that cables are still the same, but from marketing reasons they claim on their Web site all Dragons (including speaker cables that are still describes in priceless as hybrid) as PSS and do not want to confirm that they call hybrid Dragon a PSS cable.

Sorry Mike, but you are misinformed.
In each Dragon positive and negative conductor there was always two wires PSS and one wire PSC+. In ground conductor there was all three wires from lesser grade copper.

Make a small effort and check under your Dragon plug. Just slip off outer shell.
If I am wrong I will eat my shoe.

The question is if NOW AQ changed Dragon to full PSS leaving all current customer with wrong cable specification or they still do not know what they sell.

No, you are misinformed. That cable is not in the signal path and is still there. It’s for ground purposes only. The cable metallurgy has not changed.

As I said, I have new cables and original dragons. No difference.

Somebody is fulling you (and possibly other customers).
Two silver and one copper wire in positive / negative conductor (all in signal parts) and three copper wires lesser quality in ground conductor.

Somebody is fulling you (and possibly other customers).
Two silver and one copper wire in positive / negative conductor (all in signal parts) and three copper wires lesser quality in ground conductor.

View attachment 25310

The cable hasn’t changed. I asked this all the way up to Bill.

Get a new one and compare. Same cable.

Back