Anyone Into Coffee?

Mep,

Sorry for the confusion....
I was asking you the CAPACITY/ SIZE PER INDIVIDUAL CUP. 8 ounce individual cup, 12 ounce individual cup, or 16 ounce individual cup
EG, a French tasse (cup) usually a 4 ounce size.... others define as 5 or 6 ounces...YMMV
Most coffee shops offer 8,12, or 16 ounce size
When I brew with my smallest french press my indivual cup of coffee IS 16 OUNCES

Mep,

Sorry for the confusion....
I was asking you the CAPACITY/ SIZE PER INDIVIDUAL CUP. 8 ounce individual cup, 12 ounce individual cup, or 16 ounce individual cup
EG, a French tasse (cup) usually a 4 ounce size.... others define as 5 or 6 ounces...YMMV
Most coffee shops offer 8,12, or 16 ounce size
When I brew with my smallest french press my indivual cup of coffee IS 16 OUNCES

Tom-I gotcha now. I would say my wife and I drink 6 oz cups at a time and I like to brew four 6 oz cups at a time.

Mep,

Sounds like a large capacity french press and an insulated carafe might be worth investing YMMV

Apolgies for the confusion

I have a french press and the little woman doesn't care for the taste of french press coffee.

I have a french press and the little woman doesn't care for the taste of french press coffee.

Nor do we and that's why (boring as it may be to use) we've used the Chemex for the past twenty or so years. Few moving parts (the vessel, the filter, the hot water, the ground coffee + time for the drip) make it pretty fail safe. In addition, the initial investment is pretty easy on the wallet.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

My latest daily pod machine takes Lavazza. As good as a grind IMO. No artificial additives or flavours like that George Clunky brand.

You can power it with a repurposed Anaconda too for even more cohergenic flavour!

I thought we were talking about real coffee? :)

All for a real perc grind when I have the time, otherwise its the Lavazza. I love a good Kilimanjaro bean. Kona or Hawaiian coffee is quite unique but not for my palette.

Unlike filtered coffee or espresso, French press allows (or forces) ALL the flavors in the bean to come through. So the better the bean and roast, the better it tastes. Conversely with less than stellar beans/roast, more objectionable flavors come through. It's also important to have a very coarse grind, but given all the signage to that effect on most presses I'm assuming that isn't the problem.

I somehow doubt most people use the coarse grind the presses recommend.

The presses and vacuum pots also allow some silt/mud if you will, from the coffee to come through because their filter screens have monstrous holes compared to what goes through a paper filter.

One advantage of living at 5000' of elevation is that you don't have to measure the water temperature for coffee brewing :rolleyes: A French press can brew a lot of cups, but it won't keep them warm like an insulated carafe.

I didn't see your post.

I guess if you pour fast from the stove to a pre-heated French press you do have the right temperature right off the stove, but the fact is, the temperature of boiling water drops VERY rapidly once you take it off the stove.

This is starting to sound like an audiophile tweaking thread!

Combining the best of two worlds!

attachment.php

image.jpg

I'm not judgemental I'm just curious, you tried local roasters or the bagged variety in the past?
Good question! Well, it is not so easy to judge what is fresh coffee or locally roasted coffee as you put it. I did try coffees from specialized coffee houses like Simon Levelt in this photo:
P4230013.jpg

Now I am trying a bagged coffee from the famous Colombian coffee house / chain Juan Valdez that I received as a gift from a colleague in Bogotá last week. Works great in the Jura by the way...
1024px-Juanvaldez.svg.png

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the AeroPress ( unless I missed it ). Similar in principal to a French press, but uses paper filters. I've had very good results from this inexpensive little device. Another inexpensive option is the Yama Siphon, but it creates more of a mess than as it can brew 5 cups...so there's basically a lot more grounds to deal with in the clean up process. Have given up on drip coffee makers. Yes, even the Technivorm.
I occasionally roast beans with an the entry level Fresh Roast 8. It's decent for small batches, but it best be monitored closely or you'll up with an Italian roast or worse. Serious roasters wanting to do bigger batches and have more heat control need to move on to the more expensive roasters.

I use an Aeropress when I travel and at the office. My kit includes a Bonavita travel kettle and a Hario Slim grinder. I don't use the paper filters because I like the mouth feel of french press coffee. There's an aftermarket perforated metal filter called the Abel Disk. I use the standard, but they also have a finer one. The Aeropress makes an excellent cup.

Back