Tweaking TAD 300lb. plus Speakers

johnthomas

I'm thinking of a speaker upgrade. I'm a tweaker and like to move my speakers around every couple months for a different sound or look. I know weird! My current speakers are 100lbs and previous ones were 200lbs. I have/had both spikes on Herbie titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider shown in my old setup. Since I have hardwood floors I was thinking of buying custom made wool rugs for the speaker to sit on flat so I can slide them around without concern of cow tipping them. Almost every photo I see has these speakers seating flat on the surface. Any opinions how to best tackle this dilemma. :afraid:

tad multi.jpg
IMG_8585.jpg
DSCI0008.JPG
giantbs.jpg

Joe do you mean theses.

60mm (2 3/8") Round, Anti-Vibration, 4-pack
Quick Overview
Included sound dampening pads minimize humming, buzzing and vibration. Work with clothes washers and dryers, stereo speakers, etc.

04604_product.jpg

These look sturdier. I wonder if they will effect the sound?

Giant Fat Glider

For decoupling heavy speakers, cabinets, and racks. Herbie's extra-thick (3/8") dBNeutralizer Giant Fat Dot, embedded in a Magic Slider with smooth polymer bottom, grips the cabinet bottom (no need for screw or glue). Provides unsurpassed isolation/decoupling, holding loudspeakers vibration-free, reducing vibration-influenced distortion for the ultimate sonic enjoyment. Appropriate for loudspeakers and cabinets of virtually any weight on any bare or carpeted floor.
Perfect as a decoupling/isolation base even when mobility is not an issue.
2.36" wide by .63" tall (60mm x 16mm).

Giant Fat Glider
$22.95 ea.

giantgl.jpg
bottom2.jpg

giantgl.jpg

Reviews

[TD="align: right"] [/TD]

Name: Paul Sanders, Bainbridge Island, Washington
Review: I put the gliders under the speakers (decided to forget about maple boards, at least for now). And, I immediately heard improvements, better bass response, and overall, smoother sound.

But, the final judgement is my wife's who is blessed with wonderful hearing. The system was playing when she got home from work, and I asked if she noticed anything about the music (Corelli Concerti Grossi). She said "yes, it sounds SWEETER." She couldn't articulate anything beyond "sweeter" because she's not into all the audio babble. But, believe me, the woman can HEAR!

Thank you!

Added:

I just completed some extensive tests, using all the conceivable combinations of the devices I own, under my speakers. Best combo by a significant margin is simply the Big Fat Gliders under the speakers and VPI weights on top of the speakers, supported by 4 smaller dots. The BFG are smoother, offer more inner detail, and overall clarity used alone, than any of the combos. The weights and dots on top enhance that in subtle ways.

The Black Diamonds sound "hard" and splashy to me now, no matter how and where I use them. I'll probably sell them, along with the maple boards.
smilie1.gif

Name: Robert Koch, Florida
Review: Nice improvement. (with Tyler D1 loudspeakers)

These look sturdier. I wonder if they will effect the sound?

Giant Fat Glider

For decoupling heavy speakers, cabinets, and racks. Herbie's extra-thick (3/8") dBNeutralizer Giant Fat Dot, embedded in a Magic Slider with smooth polymer bottom, grips the cabinet bottom (no need for screw or glue). Provides unsurpassed isolation/decoupling, holding loudspeakers vibration-free, reducing vibration-influenced distortion for the ultimate sonic enjoyment. Appropriate for loudspeakers and cabinets of virtually any weight on any bare or carpeted floor.
Perfect as a decoupling/isolation base even when mobility is not an issue.
2.36" wide by .63" tall (60mm x 16mm).

Giant Fat Glider
$22.95 ea.

View attachment 1052
View attachment 1053

I think they could work. Is it conceivable that when it comes time to move them around, you could put the sliders under the speakers, move them and then take them out once in place?

Joe do you mean theses.

60mm (2 3/8") Round, Anti-Vibration, 4-pack
Quick Overview
Included sound dampening pads minimize humming, buzzing and vibration. Work with clothes washers and dryers, stereo speakers, etc.

View attachment 1051

I think they could work. Is it conceivable that when it comes time to move them around, you could put the sliders under the speakers, move them and then take them out once in place?
That's what I do when moving furniture around. Helps tremendously.

John, did you pull the trigger on the Ref1's?

I'm thinking of a speaker upgrade. I'm a tweaker and like to move my speakers around every couple months for a different sound or look. I know weird! My current speakers are 100lbs and previous ones were 200lbs. I have/had both spikes on Herbie titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider shown in my old setup. Since I have hardwood floors I was thinking of buying custom made wool rugs for the speaker to sit on flat so I can slide them around without concern of cow tipping them. Almost every photo I see has these speakers seating flat on the surface. Any opinions how to best tackle this dilemma. :afraid:

Don't move them! Just get used to where they are. It saves time, it saves your back and gives you more listening time.

giantgl.jpg

Reviews

[TD="align: right"] [/TD]

Name: Paul Sanders, Bainbridge Island, Washington
Review: I put the gliders under the speakers (decided to forget about maple boards, at least for now). And, I immediately heard improvements, better bass response, and overall, smoother sound.

But, the final judgement is my wife's who is blessed with wonderful hearing. The system was playing when she got home from work, and I asked if she noticed anything about the music (Corelli Concerti Grossi). She said "yes, it sounds SWEETER." She couldn't articulate anything beyond "sweeter" because she's not into all the audio babble. But, believe me, the woman can HEAR!

Thank you!

Added:

I just completed some extensive tests, using all the conceivable combinations of the devices I own, under my speakers. Best combo by a significant margin is simply the Big Fat Gliders under the speakers and VPI weights on top of the speakers, supported by 4 smaller dots. The BFG are smoother, offer more inner detail, and overall clarity used alone, than any of the combos. The weights and dots on top enhance that in subtle ways.

The Black Diamonds sound "hard" and splashy to me now, no matter how and where I use them. I'll probably sell them, along with the maple boards.
smilie1.gif

Name: Robert Koch, Florida
Review: Nice improvement. (with Tyler D1 loudspeakers)

Hey Joe,

I ordered the Herbie giant gliders today. I'll let you know how they workout.

John

John, how did you like your previous Herbie's spike decoupler's? I need to get something like that for my speakers and have used some of his other products that have worked out well for me. I was looking at these but wasn't sure.

1044d1367593173-%thread-title%-giantbs.jpg

John, how did you like your previous Herbie's spike decoupler's? I need to get something like that for my speakers and have used some of his other products that have worked out well for me. I was looking at these but wasn't sure.

1044d1367593173-%thread-title%-giantbs.jpg

I'm currently using the titanium Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider on hardwood floors for my Djangos. I never tried the Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider. Truthfully I don't think they add or subtract anything from the sound but are ultra convenient for moving the speakers around. I think if your looking for a game changer the stillpoints Ultra's are the way to go but I'm sure they will scratch up the hardwood floors if you slide the speakers.

Thanks for the input. I usually don't move my speakers around much but I need something that will keep the spikes from putting tiny holes in my wood floors. I might give the Herbie's a try.

Well after three hours there in. First impression massive, heavy and drop dead gorgeous looking.

attachment.php

Image.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back