turntable for beginner!

Old Bob

good afternoon! I hope you are all staying safe.

OK, i really enjoy my stereo, and mostly have CD's. i find I never use my McIntosh tuner.

I dug out my ???30 ??? year old turntable and it naturally sound awful.

It is a Pioneer PL 707

I am sure the stylus and records are dead.

dumb questions:

1. could I easily replace the cartridge and stylus?

2. what do you like for a GOOD sounding, EASY easy to setup turntable and cartridge

what do you think of U turn turntables
made here in Massachusetts

https://uturnaudio.com/pages/contact-us

what do you think of VPI tables, the LOWER cost ones.

my goal is to receive the table, and play. not go through 8 hours of setup.

where can I buy NEW, high quality vinyl records. especially of old music like Allman Brothers, and all DGG classical music

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY ANY ADVICE!

stay home. stay safe.

best,

bob

thanks so much for all your help!

good afternoon! I hope you are all staying safe.

OK, i really enjoy my stereo, and mostly have CD's. i find I never use my McIntosh tuner.

I dug out my ???30 ??? year old turntable and it naturally sound awful.

It is a Pioneer PL 707

I am sure the stylus and records are dead.

dumb questions:

1. could I easily replace the cartridge and stylus?

2. what do you like for a GOOD sounding, EASY easy to setup turntable and cartridge

what do you think of U turn turntables
made here in Massachusetts

https://uturnaudio.com/pages/contact-us

what do you think of VPI tables, the LOWER cost ones.

my goal is to receive the table, and play. not go through 8 hours of setup.

where can I buy NEW, high quality vinyl records. especially of old music like Allman Brothers, and all DGG classical music

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY ANY ADVICE!

stay home. stay safe.

best,

bob

thanks so much for all your help!

Buy this video: https://www.amazon.com/21st-Century...refix=Michael+Fremer+turntable,aps,179&sr=8-5

And report back after you watch it.

50 dollars for a consulting set up dvd?
is it really worth that much, also considering he doesnt even want to spent much time with setting up?

is it really worth that much, also considering he doesnt even want to spent much time with setting up?

Have you watched it?

Yes, it’s very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all your PL-707 table needs is a new cartridge, I would keep it and buy a new cartridge. You can easily install it if you have steady hands. Do you have the cartridge alignment tool that came with the table?

As for records, you can start with Music Direct, Elusive Disc, and Acoustic Sounds.

You need to ensure proper alignment. Learning BASIC turntable setup is never a bad idea, hence the recommendation for the video.

If you want to wing it, have at it. But a fundamental understanding would help before you begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering the OP is discussing new LP which cost about an average of $50.00 what is that to pay for a bit of knowledge. IMO, there is a lot to setting up a turntable and if not done correctly you might as well not bother.

I wonder if you have considered a streamer? You can subscribe to Tidal and listen to most anything you want as many times as you want. They go from $349.00 for something like the HEOS Link on up > Just something to consider as LP's aren't as cheap as they were in our day. I have bought my grandson a couple new LP's for like $25.00 from Amazon. If not into phones, apps and internet, streaming may not be your thing, it's very addictive once you get it going though.

If you just got the vinyl bug I'm with the camp to just add a new cart to your Pioneer, if it's everything you expected then upgrade down the road.

Just depends on what you are comfortable with and if you want to put money into a LP collection again. I don't even want to open the sound quality can of worms, LOL

Considering the OP is discussing new LP which cost about an average of $50.00 what is that to pay for a bit of knowledge. IMO, there is a lot to setting up a turntable and if not done correctly you might as well not bother.

I wonder if you have considered a streamer? You can subscribe to Tidal and listen to most anything you want as many times as you want. They go from $349.00 for something like the HEOS Link on up > Just something to consider as LP's aren't as cheap as they were in our day. I have bought my grandson a couple new LP's for like $25.00 from Amazon. If not into phones, apps and internet, streaming may not be your thing, it's very addictive once you get it going though.

If you just got the vinyl bug I'm with the camp to just add a new cart to your Pioneer, if it's everything you expected then upgrade down the road.

Just depends on what you are comfortable with and if you want to put money into a LP collection again. I don't even want to open the sound quality can of worms, LOL

That Pioneer TT appears to have been a good TT at the time with a Carbon arm. If it works, I would slap a new cartridge on it and see how it sounds unless you want to go high end. I use a vintage 1976 Thorens TD-145 TT with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge and it sounds great. Is it hi end no, but it was back then. The 707 is supposed to be neutral and transparent sounding. Some are going to $400-800 in good shape. It should sound way better than the U-Turn

Here is a blurb on it from a discussion on another forum from 2008

Reviving this old thread since there is so little info on this turntable. How good? Pretty good, compared to much of the plastic mid-fi junk coming out at the time.
Remember this was released on a market just starting to go gaga over CD's (1983), so it never had a chance to gain much of a following. Not up to the level of quality of the P3A, but at 80db S/N ratio it's no slouch either. Carbon-graphite tonearm with DRA (dynamic resonance absorber) collar, which either does a nice job of damping the arm further or is a marketing ploy depending on your point of view.
More info here with a poor Japanese translation....
http://translate.google.com/transla...rlz=1T4GGLD_enUS311US311&sa=N&start=90&num=30
Pioneer's stable hanging coreless motor, Quartz PLL with a 2.28 pound aluminum platter gives it a low noise floor, and the separate servo motor driven tonearm is decoupled when playing a record.
I can tell you it's quieter than my Luxman PD277 although maybe not quite as musical, at least with the Denon DL110 I've auditioned it with. If you aren't ready to give up automatic functions and can find one at a good price I recommend it!

If the Pioneer is still good then a cartridge is probably a good option.

To answer your other question, yes U-Turn are very good value starting tables. A couple of us on here jumped back into vinyl with the U-Turn. We have both stepped up to higher levels after U-Turn wet our whistle so to speak (he a lot higher than myself).

Randy

While the U-Turn is a very good starting point for someone getting back into vinyl without a TT if the Direct Drive Pioneer with the Carbon Fiber tonearm is still functioning as it should then he would need to go a good bit further up the current market ladder to beat it. Pioneer and several other Japanese companies were using versions of the Black Widow tonearm on some very good tables. I have a TT from another Japanese brand with a different style base that is comparable to Bob's unit and it still operates flawlessly.

Randy

While the U-Turn is a very good starting point for someone getting back into vinyl without a TT if the Direct Drive Pioneer with the Carbon Fiber tonearm is still functioning as it should then he would need to go a good bit further up the current market ladder to beat it. Pioneer and several other Japanese companies were using versions of the Black Widow tonearm on some very good tables. I have a TT from another Japanese brand with a different style base that is comparable to Bob's unit and it still operates flawlessly.

I always find it interesting and predictable when someone decides they want to buy something and they ask for advice and they get answers to buy something else entirely. Q: I want to buy a cow for milk. Can anyone suggest a particular breed of cow? A: What you need is a donkey.

Randy

Hey Jack,

I totally agree. This is why the first thing I said in my post was:
"If the Pioneer is still good then a cartridge is probably a good option."

Randy

Bob, if the Pioneer still works and it needs to be refurbished, I have and EE friend who works on audio gear and TT's. He fixes them or gives them a tune up. I bought my Thorens from him and have not had any problems with it in the 4-5 years that I have owned it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Larry

Bob, if the Pioneer still works and it needs to be refurbished, I have and EE friend who works on audio gear and TT's. He fixes them or gives them a tune up. I bought my Thorens from him and have not had any problems with it in the 4-5 years that I have owned it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Larry

Something along Larry’s line makes the most sense to me as an option, there are people out there that can help as recommended.

Unless your into these things already or want to learn, then building on what others said with updating the cartridge is a straight forward approach.

Either direction will get you playing records in no time, and after things loosen up, find some stores in your greater area plus the ones on the internet as mentioned above. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Mike,
Would this video be of value if you were a complete and utter novice or does it need some level of knowledge re turntables?
Thanks
Vic

Back