Set of racks

bzr

Northern Red Mahogany 200mm x 100mm. The lengths will be 2m long & weigh 26kgs/57lbs as well as some smaller c section shelves for a total of, 330kg/770lbs. Resonance will be assimilated :D..... This is a very dense & Australian hardwood, jaysus have I got me some splinters already....:ninja:

Smart. High mass with dissipation. Isolates through mass and still absorbs component energy. Hard to perfect that combination better than natural hard woods. I got 450 pounds of solid walnut slabs 3.5 inches thick.

Wow, Australian's have very tidy garages.....

Just move in or did you clean up for us? :D

Looks like an interesting project. I've found dissipation to be more important than mass. You can achieve energy release without mass remembering that mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.

Refer top photo, the dissipation is done through sorbothane pucks on the SGR Audio racks, work exceptionally well & the racks do indeed make a discernible change for the better to the sound. I want the timber as it's a hobby & also functional, thanks for the physics lesson though, from one kiwi to another! Mike, just for you....one more gander at Dolores

Wow, Australian's have very tidy garages.....

Just move in or did you clean up for us? :D

Looks like an interesting project. I've found dissipation to be more important than mass. You can achieve energy release without mass remembering that mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.

As I sad mass is for isolation; it dont move. Getting something to isolate and dissipate at the same time can be difficult. Granite for example don't move but reflects. Wood don't move but absorbs.

Mike.......Some racks are affordable, some are not.

26490656175_897a1ff669_b.jpg

Now, how long did it take you to see the shark?

Is it me or are we lacking some symmetry there? The (her) left seems like he is trying to escape his confinement. That will probably hurt with resonance absorption.

I've been asked that before Dan, apparently it's the application, stay tuned ;)

Now here's a lass that applies herself....

Kev...That's a heavy duty rack in the making, Aussie style!

AUSTRALIA has some unique timbers. Aussie reds have to be one of the toughest.

I also love the Tasmanian Tigerwoods...

It seems to be the male condition. The word Rack conjures up a number of mental images. We like racks. So, just how many racks are there?

Audio rack

7889731_orig.jpg

Record Rack

MTMzMDU3NTQxMzY5MjcxNTcw.jpg

Female rack

NewRack.jpg

Deer Rack

4007_Richard-Pauli_web-624x780.jpg

Roof rack

al.rack.top.700.jpg

Car rack

Hydraulic-Floor-Plate-2-Post-Car-Lift-Car-Elevador.jpg

Dish rack

modern-dish-racks.jpg

Rib rack

BBQ-Rib-Rack.jpg

Pool rack

466394942_XS.jpg

Hat rack

35a984873ef5884b3911f7e724a0495e.jpg

Torture rack

3VOIeOiy.jpeg

Clothes rack

Metalen_kledingrek.jpg

Tire rack

yeahracing-nzo-n010gr1-1.jpg

Female rack

a60842df3838c2e3dae832e63500106f.jpg

Damn it, a duplication. Can't trust anyone. Well you get the picture. We are the rack loving gender. You won't get an apology from me. :cool:

Thanks Dan, the rack is coming along nicely in my spare time. Each length of timber gets a 9 step process:
1. Sand timber down with 40 grit belt sander rounding all sharp edges and diverts/holes as it is recycled timber.
2. Sand timber down with 80 grit belt sander with the grain & remove excess splintering.
3. Sand timber down with 120 grit orbital sander.
4. Apply danish oil liberally with paint brush & let dry.
5. Apply danish oil liberally with rag & lots of elbow grease too & left to dry.
6. Sand with 240 grit orbital sander & wipe down with rag dampened with danish oil to remove dust.
7. Apply bees wax with a rag evenly & leave to cure overnight.
8. Buff all finished timber with lambs wool buffer on orbital sander.
9. Take lots of photos of finished & assembled rack & post on this topic.

Thanks Dan, the rack is coming along nicely in my spare time. Each length of timber gets a 9 step process:
1. Sand timber down with 40 grit belt sander rounding all sharp edges and diverts/holes as it is recycled timber.
2. Sand timber down with 80 grit belt sander with the grain & remove excess splintering.
3. Sand timber down with 120 grit orbital sander.
4. Apply danish oil liberally with paint brush & let dry.
5. Apply danish oil liberally with rag & lots of elbow grease too & left to dry.
6. Sand with 240 grit orbital sander & wipe down with rag dampened with danish oil to remove dust.
7. Apply bees wax with a rag evenly & leave to cure overnight.
8. Buff all finished timber with lambs wool buffer on orbital sander.
9. Take lots of photos of finished & assembled rack & post on this topic.

Do you do 5 yourself or have one of the racks in the photo do that job?

Back