Paradigm Persona 5F and 7F vs Salon 2s

Iansr

I'm in the market for some new speakers. If nothing else comes along then I'll be buying some Salon 2s. However I'm very intrigued by the Personas, not least because Paradigm use the same design parameters as JBL / Revel (based on Toole and Olive's research). There are no Personas in the UK where I live, so I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has heard the 5F or 7F as well as the Salons . . . .

Hi lansr, welcome to AS.

As to your question, one speaker has a gorgeous smooth tweeter. The other two will rip your ear off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard the Persona 9H. Very clean, cool side of neutral, and bright. Would think the rest of the line is similar. Would need to be warmed and tamed a bit with other gear for most.

Salons 2s are great - superb balance and coherence. And a track record of very satisfied long-term owners.

Hi lansr, welcome to AS.

As to your question, one speaker has a gorgeous smooth tweeter. The other two will rip your ear off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that based on actually having heard the Personas?

Ok thanks. I notice you are an Elac dealer. So notwithstanding your vested interest, how do you think the new Adante floorstander compares with the Salons?

Ok thanks. I notice you are an Elac dealer. So notwithstanding your vested interest, how do you think the new Adante floorstander compares with the Salons?

What amp? How big is your room? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you plan on adding subs?

What amp? How big is your room? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you plan on adding subs?
I have a selection of amps, enough to bi-amp the Salons if I get those. Furthermore in the future I'll be acquiring some custom made monoblocks that will drive anything.
I'm drawn to the idea of multiple sub woofers as advocated by Toole et al, so speakers that only go down to 40/45 hz are not an issue.

Heard the Persona 9H. Very clean, cool side of neutral, and bright. Would think the rest of the line is similar. Would need to be warmed and tamed a bit with other gear for most.

Salons 2s are great - superb balance and coherence. And a track record of very satisfied long-term owners.
Thanks

I have a selection of amps, enough to bi-amp the Salons if I get those. Furthermore in the future I'll be acquiring some custom made monoblocks that will drive anything.
I'm drawn to the idea of multiple sub woofers as advocated by Toole et al, so speakers that only go down to 40/45 hz are not an issue.

If you're a fan of Toole, then you know the answer to the Paradigm vs Salon 2's. :) Floyd is a big fan of the Salon 2's.

I know he uses the Salons in his HT set up. I know they are great speakers, but you always wonder if there is something better for similar money. Or maybe for less - the Adante floorstanders??

I'm in the market for a Persona pair of spakers. My room is 6x4 m, and I don't know what would fit better, 3F or 5 F. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't demo Persona, so I have to buy them blindly... :)
Any info would help. Thanks!

I'm in the market for a Persona pair of spakers. My room is 6x4 m, and I don't know what would fit better, 3F or 5 F. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't demo Persona, so I have to buy them blindly... :)

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining. Sorry for the late response.

My advise: don’t do it. That tweeter is very bright.

I agree with Mike, having owned the Salon and auditioned the Persona 7F. The Salon was great back in the day, but it also has a fairly bright tweeter, though not as hot as the Persona. At least it's adjustable though. As is the bass, which makes it a pretty easy speaker to live with, other than size and price.

If you have a bigger room, and you're set on one of these, I'd recommend the Salon.

If your room is a little smaller, and you want something similarly neutral, consider the Magico A3. An amazing speaker for the price.

Pretty ugly though.

Of course the Salon is no beauty queen.

Jon makes a great point regarding the magicos. I have heard the salon 2's a few times but not in my own set up, on levinson gear in a well treated room. Never really got into the sound. I found it too laid back for me. If you're thinking multiple subs then a magico s1 mk2 could also be an option...the diamond coated be tweeter never gets hot and the nanographene midrange is so pure. i haven't heard the a3 though and i don't remember the msrp on the salon 2's so i may be really out of line on pricing - iirc they were $25k/pair?

if i may ask, who is making your monos/what brand?

Back