MSB Upgrade - New Reference or Used Select II

bryans

OK I'm thinking of moving up the MSB line. I currently have a Premier DAC. I came across a used 7 year old Select II (Single PS) DAC that I can get for close to the same price of moving to a new Reference. I'm leaning towards the new Reference but a Select II would be nice.

Thoughts?

New Reference! Give me a call. Remember, the trade in of the Premier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That used one is VERY old, only one power supply (not two as standard) and the old standard clock (not the much better femto 33, which even the ref has!). A ref with femto 33 will outperform this used one AND you get to take advantage of the trade in program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OK I'm thinking of moving up the MSB line. I currently have a Premier DAC. I came across a used 7 year old Select II (Single PS) DAC that I can get for close to the same price of moving to a new Reference. I'm leaning towards the new Reference but a Select II would be nice.

Thoughts?

used Select II, for sure. different level of performance. add a second power supply later. read out screen more user friendly. 8 dac chips per channel. lower noise. software upgradable. better resale.

not done the clock compare with the Reference, but skeptical that the Ref with the 33 would beat or equate to the Select II with the lesser clock.

the Reference will never be a Select II.

used Select II, for sure. different level of performance. add a second power supply later. read out screen more user friendly. 8 dac chips per channel. lower noise. software upgradable. better resale.

not done the clock compare with the Reference, but skeptical that the Ref with the 33 would beat or equate to the Select II with the lesser clock.

I was told the clock was upgraded to the femto 33.

Hmm everyone makes some good points. This is one of those times where one would be happy either way.

Even with the Select being 7 years old it's still that much better? I have no idea that's why I'm asking.

Back