Handling Heavy Amps

JFRMusic

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you? I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps.

The concern is real. I had a very painful L3/L4 disc tuneup myself a few years ago, so I understand. We live in a beach home, elevated ~12', with 13 outside steps to get to the entry. From there, it's a straight shot to the living room on the main level. Similar situation though, spouse can't be of much help in my case, no other family close by. Most friends are even older than me, so I don't ask for fear of injury.

I have a pair of Acora SRC1's, all granite, quite compact floorstanders, but they're over 250# each. I had to move them up and down a few times for various reasons, no small job. I recently brought in a Coda 16 class A amp, ~120#, and had to get it up the stairs, then load into my SRA Scuttle rack. Also had 8 full boxes of LP's to move back up from storage, among other things. Just a lot of heavy stuff to shuttle.

Two really conscientious young guys were here delivering a large and heavy Ekornes sectional, so I inquired who they were with. I learned the local furniture stores contract out much of their delivery to pro movers, small outfits though. Turns out they were a sub to the store, but also the actual owners, family company of 5. The furniture stores vet them, requiring various insurances and bonding, so there is some sense of security vs just a guy off the street. Once they're here it's only a 15-30 minute job, white gloves, shoe covers, proper lifting tools, etc. all very professional. Depending on time, travel distance, and a nice tip, I've never spent more than a couple hundred bucks cash, very much worth it to me. Apparently, I pay them better than the stores did on a per drop basis to do their own contracted deliveries. I've used the same guys 4 or 5 times now. They're happy to come back, and take great care with my gear. It works for me.

Other options in metro areas are apps like TaskRabbit, Thumbtack, and others, though I have little experience there.

P.S I've finallly seen the light and am moving to smaller, lighter gear :cool:

If you want to make moving it around easier afterwards, you could always put it on something that has wheels on the bottom, like a wheeled rack or amplifier stand. But I would guess if you were moving or something like that 40 pounds probably isn't the heaviest thing you own and you'd have someone to help?

I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps.

I don't believe in this day and age you need to consider these monsters! There are many excellent amps that are so much lighter and easier to handle.

You mention the AHB2 - I had one for a while after deciding to find a ss amp to replace my earlier SETs. Yes, it's light in weight and has some very nice features such as its gain switch, but there are much better sounding amps of similar size and weight around. It may measure exceptionally well (it does) and it may be dead silent (it is) but sadly it does not offer the excitement factor one hopes for in an exceptional amp. It has no "character" and I found myself quietly listening to "elevator music" rather than wanting to turn up the volume and imagining I was at a live performance.

I went on to audition at home many other amps and found some that excelled. I'm sure you could find a really great sounding amp well within your capability to move it! There are lots of mediocre Class D, but keep an open mind and search around for one that will match the best of A or AB. They do exist!

I think the only part of a system that really needs to be heavy is the speakers.

I don't believe in this day and age you need to consider these monsters! There are many excellent amps that are so much lighter and easier to handle.

You mention the AHB2 - I had one for a while after deciding to find a ss amp to replace my earlier SETs. Yes, it's light in weight and has some very nice features such as its gain switch, but there are much better sounding amps of similar size and weight around. It may measure exceptionally well (it does) and it may be dead silent (it is) but sadly it does not offer the excitement factor one hopes for in an exceptional amp. It has no "character" and I found myself quietly listening to "elevator music" rather than wanting to turn up the volume and imagining I was at a live performance.

I went on to audition at home many other amps and found some that excelled. I'm sure you could find a really great sounding amp well within your capability to move it! There are lots of mediocre Class D, but keep an open mind and search around for one that will match the best of A or AB. They do exist!

I think the only part of a system that really needs to be heavy is the speakers.

Agreed; there are innovative manufacturers building exceptional amplifiers that emphasize compact form factor in addition to sound quality in their design criteria. One just has to seek them out.

In my search, I required monoblock configuration, Class A output and minimal size (I've had lumbar spine surgery as a few in this thread have mentioned as well). As I searched I discovered several candidates but few had US distribution.

I think manufacturers are starting to consider alternative strategies to the 150+ lbs mono block. Not only are they difficult to move but they consume a remarkable amount of real estate in the room.

Look at what Boulder is doing, the poster child for the mammoth monoblock. Their 800 series, while not Class A, is diminutive, sounds good and easy to accomodate in most rooms.

Don't want to hi jack this thread with the reasons we are confronted with handling these behemoth amps but for me my only choice was to say "no, I'll look for alternatives until I find one I'd buy."

The only advice I can give on handling heavy equipment is to avoid it. Each year your body will be less able to handle it. What you can move now may hurt you two years from now. I live in a retirement community. The "youngest" nearby muscle is 55+. I do not want to be responsible for asking someone to risk injury helping me move a behemoth.

A point was made about some manufacturers beginning to offer smaller and lighter equipment. VAC is doing that with their new Essence line (line stage, phono stage, monoblocs). I have the Essence 80 monoblocs. They are everything you would expect from VAC.

I have Benchmark AHB2s run in monobloc and I disagree with comments made. They are very transparent to the input signal. With the right front end they can be quite engaging. I use a VAC line stage.

I left a day earlier than planned at the last audio show I attended. Part of it was "been there, done that" too many times. But a big part of it was the quantity of equipment I had no hopes of physically handling. The rest of it was prices and space required. Setups did not reflect the real world for most people. After attending many shows, I was not interested in the entertainment value of the show. I was shopping.

Mike,
Remember for your next show. Small is Beautiful. I should know, I am short and gorgeous. :cool:

You might also look at the Bel Canto amps. I tried a E1X and liked the sound.

With a back issue and no help you have a real concern.

I'm fortunate enough my back is still good. I realize most of the weight is to the front of the amp, or, in the area of the power supply. With keeping the box intact no other way I found to get the amp out other than lifting. Once out I use the handles to get it in front of my rack. Move it into position so to speak and then lift it onto the bottom shelf placing my hands toward the front bottom to get a balance when I lift, trying to use my legs as much as possible.

Hiring your dealer or other help is a good suggestion. One of our members had a dealer travel to his house and set up the amp. There are dealers willing to go the extra. My dealer usually delivers and sets up. My last amp was purchased used though so you know where that left me, LOL

I've noticed that some manufacturers are putting the power supplies in a different chassis from the guts of the amps this making more boxes but at least they don't weigh as much individually.

You could hire a moving company like "Two Men and a Truck" or a piano moving company. They will move the gear wherever you want.

I want to thank each of you for your thoughtful responses. Seems like I've struck a nerve (no pun intended).

First my dealer is about 30 minutes from me. I'm sure he would arrange for a delivery and setup.

I have been able to make a list of amps that may supersede the AHB2 and are fairly manageable

CODA S5.5 45lbs
Bryston 3B3 35lbs
Moon Audio 330A 33lbs
Moon 400M Mono Amps each 33 lbs
Atma-Shere Class D Mono Amps 13lbs each
ADG Tempo Class D 10lbs
ADG Duet Class D Mono Amps 8lbs each

The Class D amps are very attractive but not sure if I would like the sound characteristics of even the new Class D technology.
Of that list the sound characteristics of the Moon equipment may be the best match.

Once my new streamer and DAC arrive I will give the Benchmark AHB2 an extended listen however I still feel I can do better than the Benchmark. My new digital front end should be very revealing: Aurender N20 Streamer and MSB Discrete DAC.

Some other high quality amps that fall under your listed weights include the Soulution 311 stereo amplifier at ~35 lbs, and the Lumin AMP at ~42 lbs.

Add the WestminsterLab Rei monoblock to the list of high quality amps that have a user friendly form factor.

The dimensions are per mono chassis

W 9.13" x H 5.41" (including feet) x D 14.5"

​Weight; 35.2 lbs

Purchased the WL Rei in June 2023. Very happy.

I recently purchased a pair of VAC Statement 452IQ’s. The dealer is delivering them and bringing them up the stairs from about 45 miles away. Bought an HRS SXR 3 wide 3 high rack and he is delivering and installing that from almost 180 miles away. If you are buying a new amp from a local dealer I would expect that type of service unless it was some kind of bargain basement price then I’d hire some movers with the money I saved. Good luck!

George

Westminster Lab monos are nice but way out of my price. In any case not sure even where you buy these.

I admit I'm dreading the day that I have to move my beloved 105 lb Pass Labs INT 250 integrated amp. I was able to somehow place the amp on a chest high wooden cabinet all by myself without scratching or denting anything or destroying my spinal column. I was reasonably certain I would never have to move the amp again. But we are beginning to give consideration to moving to the Ozarks. Something even more concerning is having to ship the amp for repairs. I purchased my all new audio system about 3 years ago and, so far, I've not had any reason for concern. Moving my amp or shipping it for repairs is something I never gave much thought to. It's a legitimate concern. How do you safely ship a 105 lb amp? I've shipped 50 lb to 65lb guitar amps but nothing near the 105lb range.

I have a 110# Coda amp, 260# Acora's, etc. ALWAYS strap them carefully on a pallet for freight shipping, with a shock sensor or two.

Back