Forums are slow, does that mirror the industry?

crwilli

It appears to me, with no measurements, that the few audio forums I tend to check in on, are all slow.

It makes me wonder if that mirrors the industry at large? Does the lack of members posting about their latest purchase or asking for input on the comparison of equipment they are considering etc., equate to the demand for and sales of new equipment?

It appears to me, with no measurements, that the few audio forums I tend to check in on, are all slow.

It makes me wonder if that mirrors the industry at large? Does the lack of members posting about their latest purchase or asking for input on the comparison of equipment they are considering etc., equate to the demand for and sales of new equipment?

Good question, Craig. I was talking with a Texas dealer last week and for him at least, business is doing well.

All good here (up YoY). I think what you are seeing with respect to the medium is a paradigm shift. The medium is changing. Far far far more people turning to YouTube. Dealer YouTubers are growing in droves. I won’t comment on the good, the bad and the ugly in that group, but there are some quite good channels and then some not so good ones. Rick and I haven’t made a video in months (he’s been sick, repairing his roof, I’ve been super busy…life gets in the way), but we intend to do another series and interview some interesting characters in the HiFi industry. I am not kidding when I say, I have lost count of the number of people who have stopped me at shows, called, emailed, etc. and asked when we were doing another episode. You also have reviewer channels, HiFi consumer channels, etc. Some good, some not so good. Pick your favorite channels and enjoy the content.

Some of the forums out there have become filled with complete and utter nonsense and constant bickering all the while claiming “best”. Best bickering, yes. Who wants to spend hours reading that? I think Audioshark has maintained a rather positive decorum overall through the years and that’s thanks to the great group here.

But even as an owner of a forum, I can honestly say, YouTube has seemingly become the medium of choice. Want a good laugh? I get far more conversation, views, dialogue going by opening a stupid box of a product than I do making a post on any forum. Just saying…

I hear you on YT Mike but that doesn’t offer the same engagement with a community of fellow like minded folks - or not as is the case sometimes.

Maybe it also the time of year?

Am I the only who feels forums, in general, seem slow?

You cannot discuss the quality of a streamer, dac, amp anymore in a forum if a certain group is constantly arguing that all brands sound the same. In my country forums are dominated by those audio fools who believe only the speaker matters, or worse, the whole forum disappeared for that reason.

The other group luckily still buys nice high end audio.

You cannot discuss the quality of a streamer, dac, amp anymore in a forum if a certain group is constantly arguing that all brands sound the same. In my country forums are dominated by those audio fools who believe only the speaker matters, or worse, the whole forum disappeared for that reason.

While I see that behavior on some forums, I rarely see it at the Shark.

Maybe it's the Covid overhang, but people might be so weary already that they don't want to go to a discussion forum that has devolved into battleground. I was just talking to a fellow AS member a few days ago, asking if he also noticed the recent lack of activity.

Yes, I have noticed that other forums are slow as well. When I determine that it requires more effort to find positive contributions than I have the patience for, I tend avoid that particular forum.

In my experience, these are some of the categories of people who tend to ruin forums:

-Those who seem to think that they are smarter than others, and feel the need to lecture.
-Those who need to believe that they won the argument (even if there wasn't one).
-Those who transmogrify someone's opinion into a personal slight against them, then reply with a personal attack.
-Those who just find riling people up amusing.

People might not realize that their own behavior affects how welcoming and active a forum can be.

Thankfully, Audio Shark members are capable of self-monitoring and keeping things civilized.

Let's keep it that way!

Maybe it's the Covid overhang, but people might be so weary already that they don't want to go to a discussion forum that has devolved into battleground. I was just talking to a fellow AS member a few days ago, asking if he also noticed the recent lack of activity.

Yes, I have noticed that other forums are slow as well. When I determine that it requires more effort to find positive contributions than I have the patience for, I tend avoid that particular forum.

In my experience, these are some of the categories of people who tend to ruin forums:

-Those who seem to think that they are smarter than others, and feel the need to lecture.
-Those who need to believe that they won the argument (even if there wasn't one).
-Those who transmogrify someone's opinion into a personal slight against them, then reply with a personal attack.
-Those who just find riling people up amusing.

People might not realize that their own behavior affects how welcoming and active a forum can be.

Thankfully, Audio Shark members are capable of self-monitoring and keeping things civilized.

Let's keep it that way!
Very well said. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people continue to visit the self proclaiming “best” forum when seemingly most threads just turn into giant pissing matches. Isn’t audio supposed to be an escape from the stresses of life? Laying on your death bed, I highly doubt you will be remembering a single online argument you spent hours and hours on. Life is too short.

I’m here to watch all of you and your ventures and learn a few things along the way. I can also help if anyone has any questions (but yes, I’m biased…I have my likes and dislikes too), but I do try to remain objective.

For the most part, the industry is filled with great, wonderful, passionate people. The challenge with the industry (as I see it), is a clear lack of business skills (it’s almost laughable) and an overzealous attitude for petty politics (and not the Republican/Democrat kind).

I keep my head down, do my thing, and enjoy our fabulous friends (who are also customers).

Back