Failed SATA Hard Drive in MS750

Michaelinmech

Hello - new to this forum - glad to have joined.

The SATA hard drive in my McIntoch MS750 from 2007 has failed.

Does anyone know of I can source a new replacement hard drive? Is there anyone doing hard drive replacement in the MS750?

Thanks kindly,
Michael

Hello - new to this forum - glad to have joined.

The SATA hard drive in my McIntoch MS750 from 2007 has failed.

Does anyone know of I can source a new replacement hard drive? Is there anyone doing hard drive replacement in the MS750?

Thanks kindly,
Michael

Are you sure that you want to put money in a 12 year old digital device? Technology has changed a lot in those 12 years. There are great music servers available today with newer technology and more capabilities.

If he can get a replacement drive for $50-150 and reload his music, he can be back in business. We'd have to find out how to format it for the server (if there's a built-in routine or needs to be proper before replacement).

Working MS750 is still worth around $1300-1500. Seems worth fixing to me, as replacement 1TB HDD drive is $50, and SSD is $120.

Personally, I would get the SSD and get rid of the fan in the process (SSD does not get warm like HDD, so the fan is not necessary - unless there is a CPU with a radiator somwhere).

Not sure if the drive needs loading some software or special formating. You can always ask McIntosh for the disk image and just upload it, saving on shipping. HDD replacement is 10 min job for anyone who knows how to hold a screwdriver.

I agree Adam. I would assume there is a CPU of some sort in there so the fan is probably still needed. A fan is never installed to keep a hard drive cool :)...

That is the reason I said to contact McIntosh first, to check into format, software, etc., that may be required on the Hard Drive.

Thanks for all the prompt posts in reply !!

To answer some questions, suggestions and points raised:

I have been in touch with McIntosh Audio. The MS750 was actually an Esoteric Music Server with McIntosh touches and re branding. As such McIntosh has no repair parts or service available on the unit.

I do have a copy of the software that would need to be loaded back into the MS750 after a new hard drive is installed.

What I am told is, the issue is the SATA Hard Drive in the MS750. I am told they are obsolete, no longer in production and no one has a new replacement available for purchase? It is my main stumbling block at this point.

Thoughts . . . .Remedies?

Thanks kindly, Michael

What I am told is, the issue is the SATA Hard Drive in the MS750. I am told they are obsolete, no longer in production and no one has a new replacement available for purchase? It is my main stumbling block at this point.

Thoughts . . . .Remedies?

Michael.......I believe you may be mistaken about the hard drive being a SATA drive. I replaced the 750GB hard drive in my MS750 many years ago when I still had it. It was a Seagate IDE hard drive. You can still order the Seagate DB35 IDE hard drive (PATA/IDE ST3750840ACE) at Weaknees.com. https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvr-hard-drive.php

Michael.......I believe you may be mistaken about the hard drive being a SATA drive. I replaced the 750GB hard drive in my MS750 many years ago when I still had it. It was a Seagate IDE hard drive. You can still order the Seagate DB35 IDE hard drive (PATA/IDE ST3750840ACE) at Weaknees.com.

Hi Dan - Thanks kindly for the information and your own experience.

The unit is in transit back to me from the Service Department of the dealer where I had purchased it. They had advised that they could not repair because of the SATA hard drive. As soon as it's back I will open the cover to see what hard drive is in my MS750?

Did you replace your hard drive yourself or have it serviced? Can you share more details about the replacement process?

Thanks kindly, Michael

Michael.......The ribbon cable is a dead give-away the hard drive is IDE, not SATA.

32229672127_77a24bb6af_o.jpg

Yes, I replaced the hard drive myself, then reloaded the operating system on the new hard drive, followed with reloading all of my CD's. Replacing the hard drive is straight forward. Unplug the power cable and the ribbon cable, remove a couple of support screws and the hard drive comes right out. Reverse the process when installing the new hard drive.

Michael.......The ribbon cable is a dead give-away the hard drive is IDE, not SATA.

32229672127_77a24bb6af_o.jpg

Yes, I replaced the hard drive myself, then reloaded the operating system on the new hard drive, followed with reloading all of my CD's. Replacing the hard drive is straight forward. Unplug the power cable and the ribbon cable, remove a couple of support screws and the hard drive comes right out. Reverse the process when installing the new hard drive.

Thanks again - I am hopeful when I receive mine back it will also have the IDE Hard Drive.

I'll stay in touch - I'll also let you know what the Dealer has sent me in terms of software that will need to be reloaded - both to compare what you used versus what I am sent - and your software re installation process.

Kindly, Michael

Yup Dan, the ribbon is a dead give away. Does he have to get the OS file from McIntosh, or is it in firmware and will automatically load on the new drive? I assume it is specifically for the machine and not a standard computer OS.

Yup Dan, the ribbon is a dead give away. Does he have to get the OS file from McIntosh, or is it in firmware and will automatically load on the new drive? I assume it is specifically for the machine and not a standard computer OS.

Randy.......The OS for the MS750 is not firmware based software, it must be loaded onto the hard drive from the MS750's internal transport. There are plenty of "golden discs" out there floating around in member's hands of the McIntosh MS750 proprietary operating system software. Someone should be able to burn a copy for Michael if he needs it.

Thanks Dan, I hope this helps Michael. I assumed there would have to be some method of loading the operating system on to the MS750 hard drive.

Hi Dan - Thanks kindly for the information and your own experience.

The unit is in transit back to me from the Service Department of the dealer where I had purchased it. They had advised that they could not repair because of the SATA hard drive. As soon as it's back I will open the cover to see what hard drive is in my MS750?

Did you replace your hard drive yourself or have it serviced? Can you share more details about the replacement process?

Thanks kindly, Michael

A lesson learned: if the service depart could not tell you correctly what kind of drive your unit had, you may want to look elsewhere next time.

Back