ETHERNET: Switches and Isolators

steinkrieg

I have been digging into various isolators and switches for ethernet sources to my Lumin S1.

Do any of you have experience with the products below, or have suggestions on others? After considerable research I have narrowed it down to these two.

1. Aqvox: AQ-Switch SE (this is a rather new switch and an upgrade from the previous non "SE" version)

http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQ...h-End-Network-Switch-audio-LAN-isola::87.html

2. SOTM: ISO - Cat6 (it's not clear on how this interacts with Cat 7/8, but it seems people use it regardless of the cable type.

https://sotm-usa.com/products/iso-cat6-lan-single-noise-filter

It seems many folks on various forums are using one of these brands with SOTM being far more visible as a known brand. Aqvox is celebrated in some other forums such as Computer Audiophile. And, please... save comments like it's just 1's and 0's. To my ears, there are monster differences with the whole ethernet chain. I'm loving my AQ Diamond at the moment!

Aqvox: Who are these guys? Why no picts of inside? 750 euro upcharge from stock switch??...Try a Netgear GS108.

Cables: Well that's an area I chose not to comment on.....

Just got an Ansuz X ethernet cable. Made for a nice improvement when streaming. A switch is on my radar but looking for the right one. The one I have now is a cheap cisco pocket switch.

Swenson recommends the Netgear switch for now and in my system the GS108 was a nice upgrade.

Taking the lazy way, not reading.

Is it being said there are benefits upgrading to the UpTone power supply to the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have normal AQVox (not SE). A good improvement over a normal switch. Although they indicate that their switched PSU is used (modified by them) I get better performance with linear PSU from Kenneth Lau.
The problem with these guys is that they do not usually respond to the mail that is sent to them. This must be a novel way to treat the client born of some prestigious business school. As I am 62 years old and I am not for "so new ideas" after two unanswered mail, I decided not to make the change to the SE model.

Taking the lazy way, not reading.

Is it being said there are benefits upgrading to the UpTone power supply to the switch?

I have a spare HDPlex which I recently connected to power my network switch.
Found out that it did make a subtle difference in the higher frequencies and softer transients.

Regards.

Just ordered the AQVox SE edition to see what this is all about as it sounds interesting, will see. Norman from AQVox was very responsive on the emails and reiterated 30 money back guarantee, not sure about return costs to ship to Germany from Washington State but hopefully I don't need to.

Anyway stay tuned...

UltraFast - good to hear. I JUST received my SE, but have not had time to do some critical listening yet. I look forward to trading notes!

UltraFast - good to hear. I JUST received my SE, but have not had time to do some critical listening yet. I look forward to trading notes!

Yes, me as well. It supposedly shipped today, tracking available tomorrow.

Yes, me as well. It supposedly shipped today, tracking available tomorrow.

I ordered and received the switch and the top of the line ethernet cable, receiving this today here in a Seattle USA from Hamburg Germany in 7 days.

I only had 30 minutes to hook up and listen and out the gate there are improvements in clarity, it’s late and I’m tired so more tomorrow when I run this through the paces.

AQVox recommends 3 days minimum burn in, so I’ll let it do its thing today while running the Aurender N10 24/7.

More to follow...

87708305c3592543750bdffb6c64a375.jpg

Can you please post the pic showing the inside of the unit ? I'm interesting to learn the extent of their modifications.

BTW, there is another - although cotly - alternative from Jcat:

https://jcat.eu/product/m12-switch-gold/

Their switch is based on some japaneese pro gear solution and already got some glowing reviews in the press.

Ultrafast, I'm in Greenlake. 206-949-5739. Love to meet. Interested in your power conditioner. Thinking of installing a model 5 Equitech iso transfonsformer. Trying to clean noise.

Can you please post the pic showing the inside of the unit ? I'm interesting to learn the extent of their modifications.

Their switch is based on some japaneese pro gear solution and already got some glowing reviews in the press.

Hi

I don’t feel comfortable opening this up; gave you searched the web for pictures?

ProGear I am sure is nice, but it like another $4K US, more then I willing to part with at this stage.

Over the weekend I will update further. I have my set tracks that I listen to and will note the differences.

Ultrafast, I'm in Greenlake. 206-949-5739. Love to meet. Interested in your power conditioner. Thinking of installing a model 5 Equitech iso transfonsformer. Trying to clean noise.
Hello -

Thanks for the note, I will shoot you a call but it may be a few days.

Not sure what kind of Ethernet connectors are on that switch. They aren't standard fiber connectors, and certainly aren't any flavor CATx connector.

Back