Esoteric N-01 vs Lumin S-1

MM622

I'm using Lumin S-1 network player and Esoteric K-03X CDP now, When I compare the sound quality of my K-03X CDP with Lumin S-1 when playing music file (Use K-03X as DAC), I will say it is very close. Now I'm interest to know how's the sound quality compare with N-01 and Lumin S-1? Since the price of N-01 is much higher than Lumin S-1 and the DAC chipset in N-01 is the latest product (AK-4497), I think the sound quality should be very big difference? Anybody has experience to to compare these two players side by side?

I'm using Lumin S-1 network player and Esoteric K-03X CDP now, When I compare the sound quality of my K-03X CDP with Lumin S-1 when playing music file (Use K-03X as DAC), I will say it is very close. Now I'm interest to know how's the sound quality compare with N-01 and Lumin S-1? Since the price of N-01 is much higher than Lumin S-1 and the DAC chipset in N-01 is the latest product (AK-4497), I think the sound quality should be very big difference? Anybody has experience to to compare these two players side by side?

I highly doubt it will be a “very big” difference. Will it sound better, yes, but not monumental. The difference between the 4490 and 4497 is noticeable, but not earth shattering. I’d assume the 4495 to 4497 will be much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After an excellent head to head comparison the decision was quite clear. My ears actually heard a significant improvement in realism( my benchmark being analog). Received my N01 a few weeks ago..can’t stop listening to it! IMHO. Next stop Magico Q5 or M3:cryforjoy:

Attachments

• 8EAFD94C-3E55-4F98-929E-B6F5E3C8F0FF.jpeg
    8EAFD94C-3E55-4F98-929E-B6F5E3C8F0FF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
After an excellent head to head comparison the decision was quite clear. My ears actually heard a significant improvement in realism( my benchmark being analog). Received my N01 a few weeks ago..can’t stop listening to it! IMHO. Next stop Magico Q5 or M3:cryforjoy:

Congrats! Definitely M3 gets my vote for next step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, the N01 looks to be a very good piece.

Does the N01 also improve on the S1 streaming into the N01.

There was some interesting Japanese write out that on the N01 used both as a streamer and as dac alone streaming with good but different sounding results.

Hi

What about compare Esoteric N-01 and K-1 in sound quality if using K-1 as DAC? I guess it’s very close because both are using same DAC’s chipset?

What about compare Esoteric N-01 and K-1 in sound quality if using K-1 as DAC? I guess it’s very close because both are using same DAC’s chipset?

They are different products entirely. I'm not sure what purpose there would be in comparing one against the other as a DAC. If you want to spin a disc, buy K-1. If you want a network audio player, buy N-01. Having established your choice on that basis, using it as a DAC with some other source will sound equally great, I'm sure.

Ideal product from Esoteric will be ... a K-1 with streaming functionalities ;-)

iondeed, today you need to buy booth which mlean buying 2 timles the same DAC and 2 very sophisticated power supply ! waste of money....

Yes. A single box would be very appealing. But when you do that the overall performance suffers.

You wouldn't buy a N-01 and a K-1, that wouldn't make sense. You'd buy N-03T + K-1, or another streamer source and just connect that to your K-1.

Back