Coronavirus Live Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvin

Banned
Glad I work from home!

This is an informative article. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/world/coronavirus-news.html

While many things stood out, this made me mad:

China’s censors blocked social media posts about the spread of the coronavirus as early as December, according to a report released Tuesday by the University of Toronto’s Citizen Lab.

Many in China have expressed anger at measures taken by the authorities to snuff out the spread of early warnings online. Focus has fallen in particular on Li Wenliang, a doctor who sought to alert others about the disease, only to be held by police and accused of spreading rumors. He would later die from the virus, triggering almost unanimous anger and mourning online.

CNN reporting:

In New Hampshire, first patient violated self-isolation order. Now a second person has CV.

New York now has 6 confirmed cases of CV:

• A female healthcare worker who traveled from Iran
  • A lawyer from Westchester County
  • The lawyer's wife
  • His son, a 20-year-old Yeshiva student
  • His 14-year-old daughter
  • A neighbor who drove him to the hospital

The husband of the healthcare worker who traveled from Iran tested negative, Cuomo said.
Several tests across the state also came back negative including from Buffalo where families were being monitored after Italy travel.

Italy considers closing ALL schools.

Lufthansa plans to ground 150 planes

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-04-20-intl-hnk/index.html

Thank you for creating this thread. With a 10-month-old and a 70-year-old at home, CV occupies most of my thoughts these days.

CNN reporting:

In New Hampshire, first patient violated self-isolation order. Now a second person has CV.

New York now has 6 confirmed cases of CV:

Italy considers closing ALL schools.

Lufthansa plans to ground 150 planes

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-04-20-intl-hnk/index.html

I can’t say how I know, but I know. The guy here in Sarasota, was in the hospital since Feb 22nd before they decided to test him on Feb 29 for the Corona Vitus. Now he’s not cooperating with respect to his “contact history.” He’s not telling them anything.

5636ee9f5ef7b54905bd096f6f3a4a15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNN is essentially doing updates as close to real time as possible. https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-04-20-intl-hnk/index.html

There are now 137 cases in US:

Here's the state breakdown of the US cases:

• Arizona – 2
  • California – 33
  • Florida — 3
  • Georgia — 2
  • Illinois — 4
  • Massachusetts — 2
  • New Hampshire — 2
  • New York — 6
  • North Carolina — 1
  • Oregon — 3
  • Rhode Island — 2
  • Washington state — 27 (includes 9 fatalities)
  • Wisconsin — 1

US Travel Advisories

The US State Department's travel warning for China is at the highest level — Level 4: Do not travel. The department's warning for travel to Iran, which was already at Level 4 prior to the outbreak, was recently updated to add information about coronavirus.The State Department is advising travelers to reconsider travel to Italy and South Korea, while travel to specific areas of those countries — Lombardy and Veneto in Italy and Daegu in South Korea — is discouraged. The department also advises travelers to reconsider travel to Mongolia.
Level 2 warnings, urging increased caution, are in effect for Japan, Hong Kong and Macau due to the outbreak.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is discouraging nonessential travel to China, South Korea, Italy and Iran.
Japan and Hong Kong carry lower-level CDC advisories.

Bud, you must have fixed the issue with your Lumin streamer. What was the problem?

No. It is still dead, and I have no idea what is the problem. I guess I should try hooking it to the main system. I know the XLR works there, and I could verify the RCA.

For music I am listening to the cable music channels. It actually sounds pretty good with the sound bar.

Sorry for the thread derail.

No. It is still dead, and I have no idea what is the problem. I guess I should try hooking it to the main system. I know the XLR works there, and I could verify the RCA.

For music I am listening to the cable music channels. It actually sounds pretty good with the sound bar.

Sorry for the thread derail.

No problem as I would rather read about your Lumin anytime than the CV. I hope you discover what the problem is soon.

That said, the global impact of the virus is now over 100,000 infected in at least 85 countries and territories.

It is somewhat interesting to read how certain countries are handling - and not handling - this crisis.

Just a reminder that the majority of people that seem to contract CV don't die from it.

While there is no need to panic, we should stay up to date with what the Department of Health [insert various other names] in our respective locations suggest that we do. One of the things we may do to help stop the spread of the virus is keep everything clean. Here are some of the registered disinfectants on the EPA's list:

Clorox Multi Surface Cleaner + Bleach
Clorox Disinfecting Wipes​
Clorox Commercial Solutions® Clorox® Disinfecting Spray​
Lysol brand Heavy-Duty Cleaner Disinfectant Concentrate​
Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist​
Lysol brand Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner​
Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes​
Sani-Prime Germicidal Spray​
CNN's new page - I guess they are changing it daily: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-06-20-intl-hnk/index.html

It's really important to understand that the majority of the deaths caused by this virus are with individuals who already had underlying, compromising medical conditions.
Here's an interview with a man who describes the symptoms as hardly more than a common cold.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...-ac360-vpx.cnn

Yes, that is what the stats are showing us early on. And though some younger people have died from it (TMK the youngest is 36 yoa so far) the elderly are actually at greatest risk - esp those with underlying heath issues - like my 88 yoa mother, my 60 yoa brother, a lot of my military and law enforcement friends and myself, etc. At lot of audiophiles are older too ...

According to the Surgeon General - 80% that contract it get a mild dose - like a simple cold or flu. The remainder - a lesser number for sure - get sicker ... But even one loss life is one too many.

Again, IMO we shouldn't panic but we shouldn't be negligent in taking the proper precautions against CV either.

Maybe this bug will do some good?

Everyone is being encouraged to wash their hands. I often feel like I'm the only one that washes my hands after using a public or any restroom. The number of Americans that visit a bathroom stall (male or female), open the stall door after finishing business and walk right by the wash sinks provided never getting a drop of h2o or soap on their hands is shocking.

A few years back when visiting Vancouver Canada with my wife, we both commented about how refreshing it was to see every Canadian that entered a public bathroom did indeed wash their hands and then re-enter public spaces afterwards. The Canadians have it right.

Perhaps the childlike encouragement and reminders on the news today of washing ones hands thoroughly and often will finally settle in with Americans.... but, maybe not if the behavior is not inherent already.

IMO, there is no question that the reaction to this epidemic is orders of magnitude worse than anything the disease itself might throw at us. Children don't seem to get anything other than a mild cold, and healthy people aren't dying in significant numbers if at all (which does happen during an influenza epidemic, including significant numbers of previously healthy children dying EVERY YEAR in this country alone). As each day goes by, data that this is not an especially dangerous virus to a given individual continues to accumulate; in fact, the biggest danger may be just that, that it spreads from people who are minimally ill or show no symptoms at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back