Anybody have monster receivers?

just dave

I was wonderin if any of you guys have any monsters in your gear collection.I've got
Pio. sx-1280
Hitachi sr-2004
Onkyo tx-8500mkII
Optonica sa-5605
Sansui g-9000
Ken. kr-9050
Audio Reflex AGS-152
The last one is pretty rare sold only in Canada but who made it,I don't know.

I had the Denon 5800. It was indeed a beast. Back in the 80's, I had a pioneer receiver.... Forget the model number though. I remember it had meters. Love meters!

I had the Denon 5800. It was indeed a beast. Back in the 80's, I had a pioneer receiver.... Forget the model number though. I remember it had meters. Love meters!

It wasn't the AVR-5805 Mike? ...Almost a foot high, and weighting 97 pounds.

* I had some flagship receivers, and still have few, but nothing compared to those magnificent vintage receivers of the 60s and 70s.
Nowadays AV receivers have only three buttons (power, volume, and selector) that's it!

I like old vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Luxman, Sansui, Telefunken stereo receivers, with their beautiful front cockpit design with all the meters and multitude of shiny silver buttons, plus that magic analog tuner. :cool:
- At night they look like all the instrumentation needed right in front of you in helping you to land that big turbo jet on that airport runaway lane.
...Ground control ... - David Bowie

Yes. That's right. As time passes, this old brain has a hard time keeping all the model numbers straight.

Like these bad boys...LOVE EM

marantz-2130_210006.jpg

4400a.jpg

a_Marantz_2285_1.jpg

I was wonderin if any of you guys have any monsters in your gear collection.I've got
Pio. sx-1280
Hitachi sr-2004
Onkyo tx-8500mkII
Optonica sa-5605
Sansui g-9000
Ken. kr-9050
Audio Reflex AGS-152
The last one is pretty rare sold only in Canada but who made it,I don't know.

Dave !!! Didn't know you were here !!! (Arcorob)

It wasn't the AVR-5805 Mike? ...Almost a foot high, and weighting 97 pounds.

* I had some flagship receivers, and still have few, but nothing compared to those magnificent vintage receivers of the 60s and 70s.
Nowadays AV receivers have only three buttons (power, volume, and selector) that's it!

I like old vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Luxman, Sansui, Telefunken stereo receivers, with their beautiful front cockpit design with all the meters and multitude of shiny silver buttons, plus that magic analog tuner. :cool:
- At night they look like all the instrumentation needed right in front of you in helping you to land that big turbo jet on that airport runaway lane.
...Ground control ... - David Bowie

I hear ya man.I'm very impressed with the sound quality as well,these things still sound great.A testament to their build quality and engineering.

I love my Denon 5800 is a monster and use them with an MK system, the 150 LCR, 250S for souround, and a pair of MX350 Subs, Oppo 83ES and Shunyata Hydra 8 MKII and I very happy with the sound I get for movies.

I hear ya man.I'm very impressed with the sound quality as well,these things still sound great.A testament to their build quality and engineering.

The analog tuner section in them was much more serious back then than now. Nowadays tuners in receivers are mainly a joke (Yamaha is more serious still).
And their overall sound quality was warmer too, tube alike. ...The overall stereo receiver's sound.

The analog tuner section in them was much more serious back then than now. Nowadays tuners in receivers are mainly a joke (Yamaha is more serious still).
And their overall sound quality was warmer too, tube alike. ...The overall stereo receiver's sound.

Yeah FM was a much bigger deal back then.Now there's nothing but crap on the radio,at least when it comes to rock.

I had a Pioneer SX-1080, but sold it a couple of years ago. My only monster now is a Yamaha CR2020. My other non-monsters are Marantz 2238b, Marantz 2250 and my favorite Sansui 8080db which sounds better than any of my other receivers including my 4 year old Onkyo. They don't build them like this anymore, quality products and going strong after 30+ years. Today's highest end most expensive component goes a much shorter distance I would venture to bet.

Take a look at this beautiful Pioneer receiver that I posted on another forum a while back-

Pioneer SX 5590 Stereo Recever RARE Black SX 1250 Awesome | eBay

I loved the sound of the receivers in the 1970's. I started in audio with a 15wpc Pioneer receiver and Altec Lansing Model 3's I believe. The sound was warm, lush and tube like. I keep thinking that I might buy an old Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz receiver. I still have my Technics SU7600 integrated amp from the mid 70's but it sounded nothing like the old Marantz and Pioneer gear.

Take a look at this beautiful Pioneer receiver that I posted on another forum a while back-

Pioneer SX 5590 Stereo Recever RARE Black SX 1250 Awesome | eBay

I loved the sound of the receivers in the 1970's. I started in audio with a 15wpc Pioneer receiver and Altec Lansing Model 3's I believe. The sound was warm, lush and tube like. I keep thinking that I might buy an old Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz receiver. I still have my Technics SU7600 integrated amp from the mid 70's but it sounded nothing like the old Marantz and Pioneer gear.

Beautiful receiver for sure! You should go and get yourself one, if nothing else they're nice to look at.I'd be interested if you did an ab test with the receiver and your newer gear.

Like Mike, I had a Denon AVR-5800. I had mine upgraded with the KAVR-5800 digital board. Actually, I still have mine packed away in the box.

A friend of mine had a Pioneer SX-1280 back in the day. I remember being at Service Merchandise and almost buying an SX-1980 demo unit on a clearance table. They didn't have the box or the owner's manual, so I passed. :( I still regret that to this day.

C

Like Mike, I had a Denon AVR-5800. I had mine upgraded with the KAVR-5800 digital board. Actually, I still have mine packed away in the box.

A friend of mine had a Pioneer SX-1280 back in the day. I remember being at Service Merchandise and almost buying an SX-1980 demo unit on a clearance table. They didn't have the box or the owner's manual, so I passed. :( I still regret that to this day.

C

I've got a 1280 now but I bought my first receiver from those guys,a SX-680 but I never saw a 1980 there.Do you remember how much they were asking?

Back