Recent content by Feanor

  1. Feanor

    What can do more than anything to improve your room & speakers? FIR filters maybe?

    So I guess one of us got lucky. AI response very much depends on how we frame the question. In fact, as mentioned in my 2nd post above, bass improvement was probably the most immediately & obvious result of my applying the Gsonic FIR filter. I'd guess that my bass improvement was because of...
  2. Feanor

    What can do more than anything to improve your room & speakers? FIR filters maybe?

    Interesting, though I personally haven't had any issues with low frequency response. I do use EQ to cut bass below 20 Hz; maybe that has something to do with it. BTW, I didn't "leave out" anything that AI Outline gave me.
  3. Feanor

    What can do more than anything to improve your room & speakers? FIR filters maybe?

    So I asked Google AI for a brief, layman's explanation of a FIR filter and the effect it delivers; I totally agree with the "Sonic Effects" it lists ... Google AI Overview explanation ... An FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filter is a digital audio processing tool used in high-end DACs and...
  4. Feanor

    What are you listening to tonight ?

    A couple of evenings ago, the late Michael Tilson Thomas' Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 5. This is an excellent orchestral recording that deserves great reproduction. I think I got it with my system: 24/98 FLAC file on NAS > Foobar2000 > Equalizer EQ with Gsonic-created FIR filter > Topping...
  5. Feanor

    My latest amp on the way -- NOT class D, NOT a clone, not even class A/B

    I've never had a Musical Fidelity but they enjoy a fine & long-standing reputation. I've never had a Fosi amp either; recently they have enjoyed as reputation as a good, cheap amp filling roles where there isn't the highest expectation. I'm liking the Topping B100's but I like a certain type...
  6. Feanor

    My latest amp on the way -- NOT class D, NOT a clone, not even class A/B

    No, I've no Fosi. The B100 comes with a 38 VDC / 4 ohm PS which I assume is switching mode; this ASR used to make measurements. I have no reason to suspect it is less optimal however it looks like noise is the biggest contributor to the B100's THD+noise result. So maybe you're thinking of...
  7. Feanor

    My latest amp on the way -- NOT class D, NOT a clone, not even class A/B

    Since you ask, the pair of Topping B100's is US$ 600/pair; the price of the current, comparable VTV stereo amp with 1ET-7040SA modules and VTV/.Sparkos buffer is US$ 1750 (per VTV;s website). But note that the ET7040SA module that supersedes the 1ET400A is a bit more powerful than the latter...
  8. Feanor

    My latest amp on the way -- NOT class D, NOT a clone, not even class A/B

    My Topping B100 monoblocks have arrived and are working fine. What is obvious is that the detail, clarity, transparency and air are remarkable. However I can't yet say how much better they are than my Purifi 1ET400A amp which is certainly also great in these respects. (Maybe if may aged ears...
  9. Feanor

    My next preamp: Cary SPL-90 CLONE

    The Mao years were a catastrophe for China. First the "Great Leap Forward" that literally killed tens of millions, then the "Cultural Revolution" that killed more and set back science and industry. I know a few Chinese people who will admit the country would have be better of had the...
  10. Feanor

    My next preamp: Cary SPL-90 CLONE

    China is a place of contradiction: some things good, others very bad. The CCP government has certainly raise the standard of living there for most enormously since the end of the Mao era. also in the good side: China is the leader in EV production and intends to dominate the world market, at...
  11. Feanor

    My next preamp: Cary SPL-90 CLONE

    Again, when a maker's out-patent design is copied they have no right to complain. (There is no special argument for audio equipment.) If the don't like it they can come up with a NEW patentable design, (many do just that), OR they can reduce their prices -- those are the options in a free...
  12. Feanor

    My next preamp: Cary SPL-90 CLONE

    The Chinese can build to whatever quality level they want to, OR whatever quality you want them to if you are off-shoring your manufacturing. Needless to say many Chinese makers will decide for cheapness vs. quality. The days are long gone when China was only about cheap labor. Labor there is...
  13. Feanor

    My next preamp: Cary SPL-90 CLONE

    You can believe I've got those same problems. ;) Mocking people for what are obvious typos is ad hominem attack and a fallacy.
  14. Feanor

    My next preamp: Cary SPL-90 CLONE

    As previously explained, one patents expire they are fair game to be copied. Good products are copied everywhere all the time for all sorts of things -- what entitles audiophile equipment to a "special pleading"? What seems to bother many audiophiles, (not you of course, @2FarGone ), is that...
  15. Feanor

    My latest amp on the way -- NOT class D, NOT a clone, not even class A/B

    Thank you, JDC, so kind. Believe me, I have pretty thick skin. Different? Me? Maybe; I believe that I'm a middle voice between hardcore objectivists and hardcore subjectivists. I've quit knocking tube sound -- that is, to the extent that I ever did. Tube equipment has qualities that...
Back
Top