Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice Platforms

Just wondering if anybody here has had any experience with these isolation devices. The apprentice platforms are designed to be used with existing racks/shelving so their not huge but definitely a different approach than just putting some type of feet or risers underneath the components.

I've read where people have sold their stillpoints in favor of the Sistrum products. The apprentice line seems to be the more affordable version in their lineup but wonder how they compare to some of their other stuff. I'm looking to just find something for my dac or pre and if I like it may get something for my monoblocks.

Re: Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice Platforms

Geardaddy loves em.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I have the Apprentice XLs under my monos and speakers. I found they made the biggest difference under the speakers, but they did have a quite noticeable beneficial effect under the amps as well. I will eventually try the Rhythm platforms under my pre and sources.

Pete's system:

Speakers: Revel Salon 2
    Amplifier: Symphonic Line Kraft 250 Monos
    Pre-Amplifier: Symphonic Line "The Enlightenment" Tube w/Telefunken E88CC and Mullard CV2492
    Source: Symphonic Line Belcanto CDP w/Turbo power supply and optional DAC; Ayre C5xeMP
    Cabling: Furutech (custom and stock)
    Speaker and Amp Platforms: Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice XLs
    Bank Account: Drained

Quote Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post
    I have the Apprentice XLs under my monos and speakers. I found they made the biggest difference under the speakers, but they did have a quite noticeable beneficial effect under the amps as well. I will eventually try the Rhythm platforms under my pre and sources.
    Very nice!

I wonder how close the performance is between the XL's and the Rhythms? They seem so close in design save for a few inches in shelf size and cone height.

I have yet to call Robert at Star Sound but do you know if the idea is the bigger the cone/shelf the better?

Robert has mentioned that the Rhythm platforms are more substantial - but I'm not a tech wiz and you'd be better off speaking to almost anyone else about how it is that they do what they do.

There is a fairly lengthy thread on audigon linked below where a couple of the participants have upgraded from Apprentice platforms to Rhythms, and claim a significant improvement:AudiogoN Forums: How an audio rack can enhance your amp/pre

Pete's system:

Speakers: Revel Salon 2
    Amplifier: Symphonic Line Kraft 250 Monos
    Pre-Amplifier: Symphonic Line "The Enlightenment" Tube w/Telefunken E88CC and Mullard CV2492
    Source: Symphonic Line Belcanto CDP w/Turbo power supply and optional DAC; Ayre C5xeMP
    Cabling: Furutech (custom and stock)
    Speaker and Amp Platforms: Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice XLs
    Bank Account: Drained

Quote Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post
    Robert has mentioned that the Rhythm platforms are more substantial - but I'm not a tech wiz and you'd be better off speaking to almost anyone else about how it is that they do what they do.

There is a fairly lengthy thread on audigon linked below where a couple of the participants have upgraded from Apprentice platforms to Rhythms, and claim a significant improvement:AudiogoN Forums: How an audio rack can enhance your amp/pre
    Yes, I just read that thread last weekend and have made a few comments. I ended up getting some Apprentice SP-SA 103 platforms used off audiogon and hopefully will have them today if FedEx ever decides they want to deliver them...FedEx amazes me sometimes, a guy in Atlanta that sold me the platforms got them out to FedEx last Friday before they closed and in less than 48hrs they got to Phoenix where I live. They're still sitting somewhere in Phoenix with an estimated delivery of tomorrow...go figure!

Anyways, from what I hear the platforms work only with them being on the floor even though the Star Sound website advertises the Apprentice line being made to go with your existing rack/shelving. So hopefully sometime this week I'll get a chance to hear what these platforms can do.

Thanks for your responses Pete!

-Tom

Received the Apprentice platforms (finally) and I'm amazed at what they do. Everything I've read is true...a more relaxed and natural sound while allowing you to see into the music. This difference is better than any cable I've tried and I'm kinda surprised there's not more attention paid to these platforms. I've not experimented with anything from Stillpoints so I can't compare personally but have read these apprentices have replaced some Ultra 6's so that tells me how special these are.

Website says the platforms also improves performance with blu ray players so I just had to try what would happen with one under my Oppo and sure enough the picture was absolutely incredible. I'm sold...

The guys at the Audiogon lampi thread raved about them a year ago...
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

It's definitely one of those things that once you add it to the system and hear it you don't want to take it out or back to the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    The guys at the Audiogon lampi thread raved about them a year ago...
    The guy that sold them to me said he felt they were more effective with tube equipment. I'm taking one over to a friends house today that has a VAC 160i SE so I'll see if it does for him what it does for me.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice Platforms