Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Magnepan 20.7 - Any planned or rumored updates coming? ...

I'm not sure how long the Magnepan 20.7's have been shipping, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight on updates to that model. I know technology trickled down to the i improvements as in the 3.7i and 1.7i.

Ray, I know you have a pair. Please tell me what you love about them.

For all other Magnepan fans, looking for your experience with the brand.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Re: Magnepan 20.7 - Any planned or rumored updates coming? ...

uh oh....I know what that means.

P.S. I THINK they came out in 2013...but my memory is a little foggy.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    uh oh....I know what that means.

P.S. I THINK they came out in 2013...but my memory is a little foggy.

.. Mike, that was cd's!

I owned Magnepan 3.7's for one year and when properly set up, they are excellent speakers. I have done lengthy auditions of the 20.7 and they are on an entirely different level. When set up properly, they deliver world class sound, actually some of the best sound I've ever heard. The soundstage is huge and piano and vocals are sublime. At a price under $15K, they are one of the greatest values in high-end audio and one of my favorite speakers. The 20.7's require a lot of space. They need to be adequately spaced from the front wall, side walls and ceiling to bring out their full potential. Large cabinetry sitting behind the speakers can adversely impact the sound. Much more finicky in set up than the Revel Salon 2 for instance but well worth it if you have the space.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Thank you Ken.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I continue to be amazed at the 20.7 ART/GAT trio. To me, these provide by far and away the most enjoyable musical experience I've ever enjoyed at home.
    Short of a tweak here and there, I don't know what I'd do to improve things short of spending a ton of $$.

The 20.7s are of course huge and do require some careful positioning, but once set they are simply astounding IMO.

I've not heard anything relating to newer model(s) or updates the the 20.7s. I thought I'd read somewhere that the essence of the 3.7 to 3.7i update was already incorporated in the 20.7s.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I though I'd read somewhere that the essence of the 3.7 to 3.7i update was already incorporated in the 20.7s.
    I can confirm that this is true, it was stated directly by Magnepan.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    I can confirm that this is true, it was stated directly by Magnepan.
    Great thanks! I'd think that packing and shipping a pair of 20.7s back for an update would be out of the question anyway!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Super Moderator

Thank you so much Ray! I know how much you love the combo and it got me thinking. Once in a while I think about selling the ART monos (we all know that I have too much gear), I am not sure that I can do it because I love how they sound. What's 16 power tubes and 6 input tubes to achieving audio bliss. A friend got me thinking about the Maggies again (for fun) and YOU immediately came to mind. I know how happy you are with your system. Maybe a road trip in in order? We'll have to talk.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote from the Magnepan website:

Rumors of a 20.7i — While we do not discuss the specifics of product changes, one of the features of the 3.7i and 1.7i is a "trickle down" from the 20.7.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I sure hope there isn't an update in the works. My 20.7s arrive in about 3-4 weeks and I don't want to ship those back!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I sure hope there isn't an update in the works. My 20.7s arrive in about 3-4 weeks and I don't want to ship those back!
    Congratulations Darrin! Wow! You've been quiet on this one. See, great minds think alike. I can't wait to get your opinion.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Congrats Darrin! I've owned 5 pairs of Maggie's. I'm a HUGE fan.

Congratulations! Enjoy them, I know I do!

Fantastic Speaker.... I sent mine to a family member so I can visit. If there is any high end product that remotely approaches a "Value", Maggies are it...
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Thx everybody - sorry I thought I had let the cat out of the bag on buying the 20.7s on my post about selling my Magicos. Definitely always wanting to share my updates here with my audio family.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Congratulations Darrin! Wow! You've been quiet on this one. See, great minds think alike. I can't wait to get your opinion.
    Joe - it would be so cool to own the same pair of speakers as my audio hero at the same time. I got white on silver - ordered through Pearl Audio in Portland.

Super Moderator

Thank you so much Darrin. It would be awesome !!!

Those will look great.

I must have missed it or did not realize where you were going, speaker-wise. It's funny how we circle around similar gear. I think I have the two perfect amps for the Maggies Bryston 28's and ART monos. I need to really give it thought. I've always wanted to own a pair.

Joe - it would be so cool to own the same pair of speakers as my audio hero at the same time. I got white on silver - ordered through Pearl Audio in Portland.

NAD C 658 streamer.

"JOE!".... you won't like them

Thank you so much Darrin. It would be awesome !!!

Those will look great.

I must have missed it or did not realize where you were going, speaker-wise. It's funny how we circle around similar gear. I think I have the two perfect amps for the Maggies Bryston 28's and ART monos. I need to really give it thought. I've always wanted to own a pair.
    Those are great amps for the Maggies. Lots of current.

Magtech = Magnepan ......

Super Moderator

Hi Darrin,

What's the lead time on a pair, delivered ?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

I'm curious, what do you guys consider great amp matches for Maggie's? I had Carver, Mc and others. Mc was really good.

Hi Darrin,

What's the lead time on a pair, delivered ?
    I was told 4 weeks or so. They cashed my check about 1-2 weeks ago. Anyone want my S5 for $18K?

I will report on how the modified marantz ma9S2 monos sound with them.

As far as amps that drive Magnepans well, I power my 3.7i speakers with a Rowland 625 amp and the combination is effortlessly dynamic and inherently musical.

Never understood all the praise for Maggies until I heard them driven by Magtech.

Audioshark

Last edited by joeinid; September 5, 2015 at 11:21 PM.

you don't say...

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I've not heard anything relating to newer model(s) or updates the the 20.7s. I thought I'd read somewhere that the essence of the 3.7 to 3.7i update was already incorporated in the 20.7s.
    I heard or read the exact same thing. The "i" update was already in the 20.7. The issue with the 3.7 that necessitated the 3.7i was inadequate bass response. Unless you played them at very high volume the bass ribbons would never break in. Consequently, very weak bass. This is what happened to me. The bass ribbons in the 3.7i are looser out of the box and bass response is dramatically improved. There may be some other minor hardware tweaks as well.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Thank you so much Ray! I know how much you love the combo and it got me thinking. Once in a while I think about selling the ART monos (we all know that I have too much gear), I am not sure that I can do it because I love how they sound. What's 16 power tubes and 6 input tubes to achieving audio bliss. A friend got me thinking about the Maggies again (for fun) and YOU immediately came to mind. I know how happy you are with your system. Maybe a road trip in in order? We'll have to talk.

Absolutely!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magnepan 20.7 - Any planned or rumored updates coming? ...