Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 2014 New York Audio Show

Quote Originally Posted by sfox7076 View Post
    Didn't love the Lampi room? What day were you these?
    All three.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

So please give some description of what you did not like. Saying you didn't like it "because" undermines the statement. I found the room open and dynamic, but at times a little harsh at the top end. I thought that was largely a function of the speakers.

I don't get caught up with what sounds bad at shows, nor do I want to get into a pissing contest with another reviewer. If something sounds good at a show, it's worth investigating; if something sounds bad, it doesn't mean anything.

Nor does it necessarily have anything to do with Lampizator since I thought they put on a good show out at Axpona with Vapor Audio.

OTOH, for me a little harsh is like being a little pregnant. Either it is or it isn't.
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Audioshark

Myles/Peter - another great job!! There is indeed a wonderful synergy between VAC and FOCAL.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    I don't get caught up with what sounds bad at shows, nor do I want to get into a pissing contest with another reviewer. If something sounds good at a show, it's worth investigating; if something sounds bad, it doesn't mean anything.

Nor does it necessarily have anything to do with Lampizator since I thought they put on a good show out at Axpona with Vapor Audio.

OTOH, for me a little harsh is like being a little pregnant. Either it is or it isn't.
    Yes. Saying I disagree that it sounded good, but not saying anything else, clearly avoids confrontation... It's basically the definition of passive aggressive. Saying something without context is why the vast majority of audio press has limited utility. I don't get it. If someone holds them-self out to be a critic, be a critic. I will refrain from comment on this subject afterwards.

I thought once they got off stock tubes it sounded good.

Shawn

Audioshark

I think Shawn, to be fair, you have to put yourself in the shoes of the manufacturers. They are often given only a few hours to setup their systems in a completely foreign room. I don't think speaking negatively of a manufacturer who works extremely hard on their product and dedicates their life to their business is going to benefit anyone. When you consider that show conditions (bad rooms, dirty AC, etc.) is not an ideal environment, it's best to speak of the good things you hear and not bash a company for a bad room because people will infer a report of a bad system at a show as being a "bad product generally" - and that's not usually the case.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Shawn I tried to be subtle but obviously it didn't work. I'm not about to have my ass handed to me because I criticized a manufacturers room on a bulletin board.

I entirely understand the concern you have as to the room acoustics, etc. That said, most people don't have dedicated, uncompromisingly built listening rooms. I live in a Brooklyn apartment with high ceilings and smallish rooms. It's a tough space and I appreciate hearing in hotel rooms because it isn't an ideal condition. No normal person has those ideal conditions. Regardless, I bought a Lampi Big 7 at the show because I liked how it sounded and the great detail it retrieved. I made an observation, however, that at times, the extended highs were a bit on the harsh side. That was resolved, at least for me, by a tube switch. My point to you was a passive aggressive comment without context is more detrimental than any constructive criticism as to what could be done better. It was bad, but not going to say why or how it could have improved is not helpful and only serves to perpetuate the endemic issues in audio reviews. It's why I treat most reviews as being not worth the time to read. I have said my peace and will move on.

Audioshark

Shawn - to flip this around, if Myles had said "the room X sucked"....what purpose would that serve? Would this give you pause in terms of purchasing a product? Would it give the internet community food for fodder? I would say that there is more power in what is not said rather than what is.

But that is the point. He did say that, though indirectly. I don't want to discuss this further. I will not change the industry and, thankfully, it is only a hobby for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

2014 New York Audio Show